• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cars you would not recommend...?

s.car

Reaction score
I've noted a few car threads on sf.n, along with some boating threads, ect.

I've seen and posted in the car that you drive thread, and seen other various "this car is great!" posts/threads.

What about cars that you would NOT recommend? Speaking from a personal experience, obviously.

A car I would not recommend is the 2009 Cadillac XLR Platinum Edition.

Granted, it was probably purchased with the wrong intentions.

My stepfather has owned the same E30 bmw since 1988. A few years ago, he purchased an 04 CTS. That car ended up turning into my moms, and he decided that it was time to buy another car for himself. Something sporty, fun, something badass. After the two of us had a conversation, it was decided that he was going to get a C6 Corvette. After consulting my mother, the search was on, and eventually the perfect car was found. We owned it for around a year and a half, before he totaled it one rainy night while taking his mother back home.

Time went past, he was shooken up from the experience. He wanted a car that was still fast and sporty, and still had amazing looks. Just not quite AS fast and sporty as the C6. My parents went to the local Cadillac dealership, and looked at the new CTS sedans. They owned the first body style CTS, and loved it. They got into the 09 CTS, and drove it around. They were disappointed. (I have no idea why, it seems like a wonderful automobile to me) On the way out of the dealership, my stepfather noticed this beautiful black XLR gleaming in the center of the showroom. He said to himself "it'd be nice." After they got home, they talked about the day, and my stepfather noted the XLR. My mom stopped him, and asked "it'd be nice?" "It is possible." My stepfather never imagined buying an automobile so expensive, especially paying cash. A month or so later, I went with them to go get the XLR.

First impression, wow. It's amazing!

The first impressions were very quickly shut down.

The reason they got the car a month or so later, is because the power top stopped working in the showroom. No big deal, the dealership fixed it.

Get the car home, within the first month the top stops working again. Leaving them "stranded" in the Kroger parking lot, with a top stuck open. The car had to be towed to the dealership with the top stuck half way open. Thankfully it didn't rain.

Over the course of the next few months, the top continued to malfunction. Every single time they returned the car to us, they said "we fixed the problem! you won't have to worry about this any longer"

We are now in the middle of filing a lemon lawsuit.

My parents have owned the car for over a year, close to 2 years. The purchased it brand new, it had maybe 3 miles on it. It now has less than 1,300 miles on it.

Within the first year of ownership the car was in the shop 5 months. Five entire months. Not five months in a row, but over the year, it equaled up to five months.

Not to mention the weatherstripping on the exterior of the car looked like it had been sitting out in the elements for the past 5-7 years. The car was in the showroom at the dealership, and has lived in our garage since we purchased it. It's never spent a night outside. Not to mention the actual fitment of the weatherstripping, it's wavy in many spots, and isn't properly seated in others.

The fitment of the panels on the interior of the car was also terrible. The passenger side door was missing clips, as well as a loose panel somewhere inside of the dash making a rattling noise. (the exact location cannot be determined)

The paint is also EXTREMELY soft.

Definitely not something I would have expected from an $80,000 car.

That, and in no way shape or form does it compare to a Corvette in terms of speed or sport. That's just a personal opinion, though.
plain.gif

With that being said, XLR is not a recommendation. It looks great from 10 feet, but that's about it.

Pictures of said cars..

XLR, the day we brought it home

IMG_3383.jpg

IMG_3384.jpg

IMG_3387.jpg

IMG_3407.jpg

Corvette
When nice..

DSC02714Medium.jpg

DSC02640Medium.jpg

When totaled..

07-17-08_1329.jpg

turboman808

Reaction score
It's a GM first of all so it's gonna have problems and the dealerships are not going to be able to fix it. Been there done that.

I've got a chance to drive one and they are fun. The fit and finish is nothing to write home about. SO yeah when you find out how much the car cost its really not worth it.

I really wouldn't recommend any GM product. If it's an older car and you got your own mechanic that knows the car inside and out thats one thing. Then go for it.

Only car I can really say just put me in a bad mood was when I had to drive a PT Cruiser for a month. As luck would have it I crashed both my cars in the same week. Had no choice but to rent a car and the only thing they had was the PT cruiser. No car has even put me in a bad mood before. Not one single redeeming quality about the PT Cruiser. handles like ****, brakes like ****, it's ugly, and has no power.

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think saying the XLR isn't a good car is like saying the sky is blue.

s.car

Reaction score
Originally Posted by spencers
American FTL
frown.gif

Pics of the E30!

Pictures of the E30?

This is the only picture that I can find. I'll look around a little more.

photo-3.jpg

Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Jeebus! Lucky dad is alive.

Get this, they were only going 20mph.

Mr.Pinchy

Reaction score
From personal experience I can only not recommend an 03' Jetta 1.8T. It was always in the shop and I had a lot of trouble selling it since it's value drops like **** on a stick. Fun to drive but the transmission keeps going - lucky the warranty covered the $7000 transmission but it sure scared me out of my next VW. I have heard that all VW's from that era were unreliable.

Shame, since I am considering a newer GTI as my winter/utilitarian car although I've heard VW has picked things up since then.

Other cars to not recommend from word of mouth
- Land Rover anything
- Chrysler Sebring/Dodge Avenger - or pretty much anything Chrysler that is out nowadays
- Mercedes C-class
- Infiniti QX/Nissan Armada
- Chevrolet Cobalt
- Last generation Audi TT

BossTweed

Reaction score
Anecdotal evidence is valuable if you're describing model characteristics that are consistent vehicle to vehicle -- say, comments about how a car drives or interior gadgetry. But can you really recommend against a certain model because you had transmission problems this one time?

Mr.Pinchy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BossTweed
Anecdotal evidence is valuable if you're describing model characteristics that are consistent vehicle to vehicle -- say, comments about how a car drives or interior gadgetry. But can you really recommend against a certain model because you had transmission problems this one time?

Yes. That wasn't the only problem.

the.chikor

Reaction score
I had a similar experience with a Cooper Mini S. Nothing but maintenance problems, unreliable, etc. However, extremely fun to drive-the turbo charger made that thing move out! Needless to say, after going to the district maintenance manager of BMW and having them rip the engine apart and still not be able to fix the problem, that car is history!

I had a similar experience with Toyota GT-electrical nightmare-ignition models kept going bad each year-after 4 years-all four were replaced. Car left me stranded too many times-it was the predecessor to the Mini. Now, both are history.

I am thinking of trying Acura next?

PS-I have a friend who owns a towing company in LA and tells me that if you are going to buy a GM-buy a Buick. He says it is probably the best built US car. Every time I run cars by him for an opinion on reliability, he quickly quashes my expectations! I am hoping to have better luck with Acura.

Sherlockian

Reaction score
Damn. I'm sorry to see the Corvette smashed. Hope the occupants were OK.

Only car I've been in since the 1980s that I can hands-down say is terrible is the Smart. I thought that nowadays truly bad design had been eradicated, but in terms of the slowest-changing auto 'box (to the point of making pulling out at junctions a genuinely dangerous experience) and worst handling (shocking understeer in the wet), this hateful POS has forever incurred my rancour.

I'm glad to say we don't have them over here, but that Aztek thing driven by Bryan Cranston in Breaking Bad is just comically ugly. How that one passed from the drawing-board, through the approval process, and out of the factory is beyond me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads