• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I opened a paypal dispute. I’m done with it. It’s one thing to blame Carmina, but KA is should be providing Sovereign Grade customer service in this time when everyone is hurting for business.
Yes, Hanger Project has lost my business going forward. It started when I contacted them a couple days after ordering the GMTO and wanted to add polish so I didn't have to pay shipping on both. They said they couldn't do that. Can we just cancel my GMTO (since it wasn't being made yet) and re-order with that and the polish? No was the response. Then you look at Kirby's videos where he invites questions but never seems to answer most of them. I hold Kirby / Hanger responsible really. THey're the company I paid. They're the ones responsible for interacting with me and they've failed. Carmina makes great products. Kirby is just a store - there are others. Just like another store got my order for the polish back in Feb, Kirby won't get any more business. I'll give it another 2 weeks before I open a dispute with my credit card company. It used to be electronic to do so but now you have to call so it's a hassle. We'll see what happens over the next 2 weeks.

Phoenician

Reaction score
Yes, Hanger Project has lost my business going forward. It started when I contacted them a couple days after ordering the GMTO and wanted to add polish so I didn't have to pay shipping on both. They said they couldn't do that. Can we just cancel my GMTO (since it wasn't being made yet) and re-order with that and the polish? No was the response. Then you look at Kirby's videos where he invites questions but never seems to answer most of them. I hold Kirby / Hanger responsible really. THey're the company I paid. They're the ones responsible for interacting with me and they've failed. Carmina makes great products. Kirby is just a store - there are others. Just like another store got my order for the polish back in Feb, Kirby won't get any more business. I'll give it another 2 weeks before I open a dispute with my credit card company. It used to be electronic to do so but now you have to call so it's a hassle. We'll see what happens over the next 2 weeks.

Sorry to hear this, but as you can imagine, I wouldn't hold your breath that you'll get resolution in the next two weeks. Strange that in a time of a global pandemic, when businesses (especially small businesses) are buckling under the strain financially, that he doesn't seem to care. You're a patient man, I would have filed the dispute already.

Seems he's a snake-oil salesman more interested in his YouTube revenue for posting crap like shining shoes that you can see on a million other sites, than being a true business professional.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Green suede string loafers.

DL120

Reaction score
Guys, do you have any secrets how to pull out Carmina's lasted shoe trees from Calway boots? I have very big difficulty to do that even when I almost get laces out, I think I make more creases by trying to pull trees out than I will do by wearing boots.
So photos of the trees and boots and top down photo while the trees are in, as well as a pic of the tree when the heel is angled up. Sometimes if they don’t get the recessed tube fittings deep enough the heel won’t flex or rotate up as much as it could, creating a tight angle going into boots.

that said, taking the trees out, should always be The same, Pull up/back and twist towards the outside and keep pulling. Hold the boot by the waist. Putting the tree in should be exact opposite, keep the tree flat, angled facing outwards, push in and twist down and toward the inside and keep pushing and twisting until it’s in.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So gentlemen, three weeks ago I got sized for shoes at the Carmina store in NYC.

The 10.5 E on the detroit last was a bit too tight for my tastes, and it was also a wee bit short. I am thinking I might need an 11 EEE when the MTO event happens in September. The reason I think they were a little short is that my big toe was definitely well past the cap toe, to the point I'd be concerned that I am going to get an unsightly cap-toe crease if I wear them. The Detroit last is definitely the only last that really does fit me, as Rain is too tapered for my wide toe box.

Would you gentlemen suggest an 11 EEE would be a better idea? Given that I can often wear 12 EEEs from Allen Edmonds, Aldens, etc?

I won't be able to go back to NYC in time to get these shoes sized again in person.

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So gentlemen, three weeks ago I got sized for shoes at the Carmina store in NYC.

The 10.5 E on the detroit last was a bit too tight for my tastes, and it was also a wee bit short. I am thinking I might need an 11 EEE when the MTO event happens in September. The reason I think they were a little short is that my big toe was definitely well past the cap toe, to the point I'd be concerned that I am going to get an unsightly cap-toe crease if I wear them. The Detroit last is definitely the only last that really does fit me, as Rain is too tapered for my wide toe box.

Would you gentlemen suggest an 11 EEE would be a better idea? Given that I can often wear 12 EEEs from Allen Edmonds, Aldens, etc?

I won't be able to go back to NYC in time to get these shoes sized again in person.

Which Alden lasts are you a 12EEE on and what's your Barrie sizing? Half down from Barrie worked well for me on Detroit EEE

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which Alden lasts are you a 12EEE on and what's your Barrie sizing? Half down from Barrie worked well for me on Detroit EEE

I've never been sized for the Barrie. I'm a 12 EEE on a vintage pair of Aldens I have that are cordovan half-brogues.

My consistent Allen Edmonds size is 11.5 EEE, though.

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never been sized for the Barrie. I'm a 12 EEE on a vintage pair of Aldens I have that are cordovan half-brogues.

My consistent Allen Edmonds size is 11.5 EEE, though.

Do you have the model number or happen to know which last your Alden is on? Alternatively, do you know your brannock size? Most AE lasts are generally TTS but some of them like the 65 run narrow and have a low instep so AE sizing can be goofy for some.

Generally, I'd say that how close your big toe is to the end of the toebox isn't the best guide of whether a shoe is the right length. What's more important is that the ball of your foot lines up with the widest part of the shoe, that it's comfortable and that you aren't getting heel slip.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you have the model number or happen to know which last your Alden is on? Alternatively, do you know your brannock size? Most AE lasts are generally TTS but some of them like the 65 run narrow and have a low instep so AE sizing can be goofy for some.

Generally, I'd say that how close your big toe is to the end of the toebox isn't the best guide of whether a shoe is the right length. What's more important is that the ball of your foot lines up with the widest part of the shoe, that it's comfortable and that you aren't getting heel slip.

I wasn't getting a heel slip, but my toes felt cramped. I have a very wide toe box, so that is a big deal for me - I don't like feeling like my toes are constricted together and I cannot move them at all.

I don't know the last the Alden is on. But the model number is: 5195. Oxblood cordovan medallion-toe half-brogues. Not sure when they were made, they were a vintage purchase on Ebay.

Actually, these are 11.5 E for Alden, but the cordovan has stretched some so I feel rather comfortable in them. They are about the only E sized shoes I've ever worn that I can say that, and I believe it is due to their age and them being made of cordovan, which tends to give me more give in general on my other shoes.

My Brannock size is what my AE size is: 11.5 EEE.

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wasn't getting a heel slip, but my toes felt cramped. I have a very wide toe box, so that is a big deal for me - I don't like feeling like my toes are constricted together and I cannot move them at all.

I don't know the last the Alden is on. But the model number is: 5195. Oxblood cordovan medallion-toe half-brogues. Not sure when they were made, they were a vintage purchase on Ebay.

Actually, these are 11.5 E for Alden, but the cordovan has stretched some so I feel rather comfortable in them. They are about the only E sized shoes I've ever worn that I can say that, and I believe it is due to their age and them being made of cordovan, which tends to give me more give in general on my other shoes.

My Brannock size is what my AE size is: 11.5 EEE.

Okay, that's helpful. Keep in mind that a standard Detroit E is only a tad wider than a US D width so if you're a true EEE then you're definitely going to feel cramped. A Detroit EEE is roughly a US E width. If you Brannock an 11.5 then I'd normally say that an 11EEE on Detroit seems like it would be large (keep in mind Carmina uses UK sizing) but since you also Brannock a EEE I wouldn't be surprised if that's what it took to make a last roughly equivalent to a US E width work. The question is going to be whether you going from Detroit E to Detroit EEE and also sizing up 1/2 a size is going to be too much. You could also e-mail Carmina and see if they have any Detroit EEEs in 10.5 and/or 11 to try. They can just ship them to you and then return.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, that's helpful. Keep in mind that a standard Detroit E is only a tad wider than a US D width so if you're a true EEE then you're definitely going to feel cramped. A Detroit EEE is roughly a US E width. If you Brannock an 11.5 then I'd normally say that an 11EEE on Detroit seems like it would be large (keep in mind Carmina uses UK sizing) but since you also Brannock a EEE I wouldn't be surprised if that's what it took to make a last roughly equivalent to a US E width work. The question is going to be whether you going from Detroit E to Detroit EEE and also sizing up 1/2 a size is going to be too much. You could also e-mail Carmina and see if they have any Detroit EEEs in 10.5 and/or 11 to try. They can just ship them to you and then return.

That's a good idea. I might also try to go back to NYC to get it done.

In store, the E width was just not wide enough even at 11. So I assumed that an EEE in 11 might be perfect, though I could imagine a 10.5 in EEE could be good.

You're extremely helpful.

I'll go to my local shoe store and get brannocked again to see what they say to be sure and go from there as well. I haven't gotten brannocked in a good year, but generally the 11.5 EEEs in AE have worked out fine for me, and I can wear a 12 EEE and not feel like I am swimming in my shoes.

Also, I am going for an oxford, so that generally tends to be a tighter shoe than a derby. I am thinking of getting the MTO for the whole cut and for another pair of half-brogues maybe.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, I am going for an oxford, so that generally tends to be a tighter shoe than a derby.

I'm not sure if you can get an oxford style on the Detroit last - have you checked with Carmina? You may well be able to, but I just can't ever remember having seen an oxford on the Detroit last, only bluchers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads