• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ErPupone4

Reaction score
Interesting. I only own Forest. Think the Inca is that much narrower?
I find it slightly more narrow than Forest, but I take the same size in both lasts. I think Inca looks best on oxfords, double monks, and Chelsea boots. I like Forest on derbies and chukka boots.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey all - lots of conversation in the last couple of days about various Carmina last fits. I have posted my thoughts on this before, but can't find a comprehensive post of my own experience. I think in pictures, so I made some below.

For reference, I'm an 11D US, with narrow heels, low volume overall, and need a decent amount of room in the toebox. I own a lot of Carmina shoes, covering at least 7 lasts; typically I'm 10UK in Carmina, but style and last make a big difference. The comparisons below all assume the same size for comparison.
Carmina Instep Comparison.JPG

Carmina Toebox Comparison.JPG

Carmina Heel Comparison.JPG

The last is my attempt to group lasts by "families" of size. I wouldn't be shocked if someone wore the same size in Simpson and Oscar, or Oscar and Soller, but Simpson to Soller is a pretty big leap. Yellow boxes represent near neighbors in size, while blue boxes represent the likely range for most (but not as close as the yellow boxes).
Carmina Fit Spectrum.JPG

Feel free to critique/correct. I limited the the lasts I thought I could talk to from experience. Of note, I don't own anything in Rain but have tried it on enough to know that it likely doesn't work for me, and why.

Sfroide3

Reaction score
Very interesting. I think it shows the limit of the Carmina size comparer on the official website. According to the size comparer Forest has a way bigger instep than Inca.

Also. If you compare rain and inca heel cup, they look similar while in reality ...:

Credit to :JSO1

I bought some rain oxfords and they were fine. No that they are a little looser, I got some heel slip and it causes blisters ... You never really now how good a pair of shoes is before you wear it for a couple days.

dave_rawitat

Reaction score
My latest Carmina acquisition. The MTO 80229 (Boots without Shaft lining). Rubi Shell Cordovan. Rain D, as I wanted something sleeker than Rain that's not Simpson, as Simpson is too symmetrical for what I want with this. Decided to take my Simpson size, +0.5 from Rain.

It came out as a pretty dark Rubi. Almost a Color 4. Which, just for this case, quite nice. Because I was one the fence between Burgundy and Rubi for this particular pair make up, and I kinda wish I joined the Color 4 GMTO earlier.

In shades, it looks too dark to be Rubi, but in sunlight, it brighten up a notch and show a very deep, dark brownish red.

Oh, and the unlined shaft part make this a very comfortable wearing as well. (Actually, I learned that unlined shell boots are very comfortable from the unlined Chukka 80728).

Now, for eye candies:

DSCF4472.jpg

DSCF4484.jpg

DSCF4508.jpg

SDIM2664.jpg

SDIM2666-2.jpg

Last edited:

DL120

Reaction score
Interesting. I only own Forest. Think the Inca is that much narrower?
Inca actually will have a slightly more generous width in the ball of the foot. But then a tighter heel, narrower toe box due to the almond toe.

if you think of forest as the middle of the road, standard last, no strong shape or sharp lines, Inca, rain, will have a similar mid foot feel, slight more arch, but then tighter at the ends, heel and namely toe box for both.

DL120

Reaction score
Very interesting. I think it shows the limit of the Carmina size comparer on the official website. According to the size comparer Forest has a way bigger instep than Inca.

Also. If you compare rain and inca heel cup, they look similar while in reality ...:

Credit to :JSO1

I bought some rain oxfords and they were fine. No that they are a little looser, I got some heel slip and it causes blisters ... You never really now how good a pair of shoes is before you wear it for a couple days.
It’s rather difficult to compare shape and fit based on the sole view. Specifically, Inca, buger, and the lasts where they add extra finishing to the bottom. Inca and rain have similar fits, but will look drastically different from the bottom as Inca has a tight heel cut, tighter shaped waist and a closer cut welt.

Here is a comparison of rain and Inca, bottom work, top down and heel finishing
323DE783-1D77-4B8B-AF96-237A00C6D237.jpeg

EUtroll

Reaction score
Hey all - lots of conversation in the last couple of days about various Carmina last fits. I have posted my thoughts on this before, but can't find a comprehensive post of my own experience. I think in pictures, so I made some below.

For reference, I'm an 11D US, with narrow heels, low volume overall, and need a decent amount of room in the toebox. I own a lot of Carmina shoes, covering at least 7 lasts; typically I'm 10UK in Carmina, but style and last make a big difference. The comparisons below all assume the same size for comparison.

The last is my attempt to group lasts by "families" of size. I wouldn't be shocked if someone wore the same size in Simpson and Oscar, or Oscar and Soller, but Simpson to Soller is a pretty big leap. Yellow boxes represent near neighbors in size, while blue boxes represent the likely range for most (but not as close as the yellow boxes).

Feel free to critique/correct. I limited the the lasts I thought I could talk to from experience. Of note, I don't own anything in Rain but have tried it on enough to know that it likely doesn't work for me, and why.

Very interesting, thank you!

How would you describe the heel of the Llubi last?

ErPupone4

Reaction score

View attachment 1361827
View attachment 1361828
View attachment 1361826

View attachment 1361825

That is a really good post. Everyone is obviously different, but I tend to agree with most of your points. Particularly the toe limitations in Rain and Inca. I wear the same size in Inca and Forest and do not have any toe limitations to complain about. The same size in Rain is unbearable on my pinky toes. I own 3 pairs of Rain that I got on sale, but it isn't the best last for me. I actually size up for Rain, then add inserts or tongue pads to make them fit a little better.

I will be trying on some of the other lasts next time I can go to NYC. I would like to buy a pair of boots and I am leaning towards Oscar, but don't have personal experience with it.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1361827
View attachment 1361828
View attachment 1361826

View attachment 1361825

Really well done. Thanks!

ErPupone4

Reaction score
It’s rather difficult to compare shape and fit based on the sole view. Specifically, Inca, buger, and the lasts where they add extra finishing to the bottom. Inca and rain have similar fits, but will look drastically different from the bottom as Inca has a tight heel cut, tighter shaped waist and a closer cut welt.

View attachment 1361881
Love those navy monks! I'm a fan of the purple lining myself, but the orange is killer on those. Excellent makeup.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very interesting, thank you!

How would you describe the heel of the Llubi last?

Honestly? I can’t remember. I have tried Llubi on a couple times and remember the instep and toebox well. I don’t remember the heel at all, which means it probably wasn’t massive (I have narrow heels). My guess is it falls pretty close to Inca, but my confidence is low.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is a really good post. Everyone is obviously different, but I tend to agree with most of your points. Particularly the toe limitations in Rain and Inca. I wear the same size in Inca and Forest and do not have any toe limitations to complain about. The same size in Rain is unbearable on my pinky toes. I own 3 pairs of Rain that I got on sale, but it isn't the best last for me. I actually size up for Rain, then add inserts or tongue pads to make them fit a little better.

I will be trying on some of the other lasts next time I can go to NYC. I would like to buy a pair of boots and I am leaning towards Oscar, but don't have personal experience with it.

Oscar is a great boot last IMO. Very similar to Forest in fit, but a bit more shapely (touch more room in toes, a bit less in the instep).
I also ordered Carmina sneakers in Oscar and it works well.

JoeBlack0

Reaction score

View attachment 1361827
View attachment 1361828
View attachment 1361826

View attachment 1361825

This is why I pay for internet

Sfroide3

Reaction score

Inca has tight heel compared to Rain or in general ? According to Jet-stream's diagram Inca is the second largest heel - way more than Soller, Oscar, Forrest and Simpson. Would you agree with that ?

According to Carmina's Last description, Inca is considered "little roomy" instep last.

If comparing Rain, Inca and Forest insteps on Carmina's size comparer, Rain and Forest are supposedly equal.

I need to say that I am somehow lost with all this lasts and sizing. I know that my rain oxfords are destroying my feed because of some heel slip. I need something tighter on the heel. I am close to a -1 Narrow width but with some toe spread and higherish instep. Simpson is impossible in my size and sizing up makes the shoes way too loose while destroying my instep. I tried Inca and Forest in store which are fine, but so was the rain shoes that I bought.

Is there any last with a tight heel cup, good arch support and roomy toe box that I am missing ? I also tried soller which are ok, but very little arch support. Maybe Oscar ? It's considered a medium instep last.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads