• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

monet33

Reaction score
Do you normally go with the same size for cordovan balmoral boots compared to oxfords? Rain similar fit with Oscar/forest? Tia

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking for some advice on soller vs Oscar last. When I use the online last comparison, it appears the shape is basically the same with Soller just running a bit wider and longer.

I am looking to get a cap toe boot. So my question is regarding the length of the cap on either of those lasts? Is the cap proportionally the same size on both or does the Soller cap run longer?

If anyone has a comparison in actual cap toe boots in both lasts it would be helpful.

Thank you!

Soller is quite a bit longer, has a bit more room across the ball of the foot IMO, and has a substantially higher instep. I'd say Soller fits 0.3 size larger than Oscar. If Oscar in a given size is a touch too tight in the instep, Soller may work, or if Oscar is a bit too short, Soller in the same size may work well. I suspect most would take the same size in both, but they are different enough it's possible some would size down for Soller.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Looking for some advice on soller vs Oscar last. When I use the online last comparison, it appears the shape is basically the same with Soller just running a bit wider and longer.

I am looking to get a cap toe boot. So my question is regarding the length of the cap on either of those lasts? Is the cap proportionally the same size on both or does the Soller cap run longer?

If anyone has a comparison in actual cap toe boots in both lasts it would be helpful.

Thank you!

I can't totally answer your question since I don't have a cap toe on Oscar. However, I have a few pairs in each last.

Oscar is a little bit narrower at the midfoot and ball but rounder toe with a little more space for the front edge of the big toe due to the inner taper on the soller. At least for me, the outer taper is a non issue with both lasts but there may be a hair more space for the pinky on the soller. Oscar has less instep room than soller mainly due to the wider ball. Heel I find to be fairly similar. Oscar might be slightly narrower at the heel. Soller is an elongated last and the toe shape, while round, is a little more pointy than Oscar. I believe the toe height is a little bit lower on soller, as well. Soller reminds me a little of the C&J 341 last in terms of the shape of the toe, if that is helpful. The one question that I am unable to answer is the cap toe length. I only have a longwing and ptb in the oscar last.

ErPupone4

Reaction score
Wholecut snuff chelsea boots today.
20200706_094842.jpg
20200706_094853.jpg

lcdx22

Reaction score
Soller is quite a bit longer, has a bit more room across the ball of the foot IMO, and has a substantially higher instep. I'd say Soller fits 0.3 size larger than Oscar. If Oscar in a given size is a touch too tight in the instep, Soller may work, or if Oscar is a bit too short, Soller in the same size may work well. I suspect most would take the same size in both, but they are different enough it's possible some would size down for Soller.
I can't totally answer your question since I don't have a cap toe on Oscar. However, I have a few pairs in each last.

Oscar is a little bit narrower at the midfoot and ball but rounder toe with a little more space for the front edge of the big toe due to the inner taper on the soller. At least for me, the outer taper is a non issue with both lasts but there may be a hair more space for the pinky on the soller. Oscar has less instep room than soller mainly due to the wider ball. Heel I find to be fairly similar. Oscar might be slightly narrower at the heel. Soller is an elongated last and the toe shape, while round, is a little more pointy than Oscar. I believe the toe height is a little bit lower on soller, as well. Soller reminds me a little of the C&J 341 last in terms of the shape of the toe, if that is helpful. The one question that I am unable to answer is the cap toe length. I only have a longwing and ptb in the oscar last.

Thanks guys! This is really helpful. So do you stay the same size in Soller? By the last comparison tool it just looks so much larger, but not sure if from a fit point of view you go with same size or size down half?

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Thanks guys! This is really helpful. So do you stay the same size in Soller? By the last comparison tool it just looks so much larger, but not sure if from a fit point of view you go with same size or size down half?

I agree with what @jet-stream said. To some extent, it may depend upon the shoe model you are considering. As you might recall from our discussion last week about the macneil my feet are on the wider side so I feel that I am kind of in between sizes on the oscar due to width. I can wear a UK9 or UK9.5 the 9.5 I found to be a little too loose in a chukka while working fine in a longwing. The soller is, I think, a better overall last for me. But based upon my experience, I'd say it's best to stick with the same size for both unless you have a narrow or lower volume foot in which case you may want to size down on the soller.

lcdx22

Reaction score
I agree with what @jet-stream said. To some extent, it may depend upon the shoe model you are considering. As you might recall from our discussion last week about the macneil my feet are on the wider side so I feel that I am kind of in between sizes on the oscar due to width. I can wear a UK9 or UK9.5 the 9.5 I found to be a little too loose in a chukka while working fine in a longwing. The soller is, I think, a better overall last for me. But based upon my experience, I'd say it's best to stick with the same size for both unless you have a narrow or lower volume foot in which case you may want to size down on the soller.

Ok perfect! Thank you!

Phoenician

Reaction score
Sorry, thought pic had deleted above..
View attachment 1418805

those are superb and I’ve become a fan of the Elbamatt too, although being thicker, you’re right that it will take a bit to break in.

in regards to the next MTO, you asked me yesterday whether you should get the hot pink suede vamp with glitter purple alligator shaft, or all mauve suede with bright yellow cap toes. I think the former would be ideal but with a bright green welt perhaps, for a splash of color. Should suit you well

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
those are superb and I’ve become a fan of the Elbamatt too, although being thicker, you’re right that it will take a bit to break in.

in regards to the next MTO, you asked me yesterday whether you should get the hot pink suede vamp with glitter purple alligator shaft, or all mauve suede with bright yellow cap toes. I think the former would be ideal but with a bright green welt perhaps, for a splash of color. Should suit you well
Thanks mate, great advice as always...?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads