• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess I have to confirm everything watchman said, because I keep 3 horse hair brushes at work. One each for blooming dark and light shell. And one for regular shoes.

cc808314

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked these up from the outlet. Can’t wait to receive them.

2B3B491E-6AE4-4EC9-839D-21808FBC4D9E.jpeg

oskrusa

Reaction score
I brought some horses out of the stables for some comparison shots this evening.

Putting aside slight variations on shell color within their respective categories, and keeping in mind that you might end up with a darker or lighter shade of Whiskey or Bourbon (for instance, my Carmina Bourbon boots are slightly darker than EB Bourbons), etc., there are notable differences between them, here are some side-by-side pics:

Cognac, Bourbon and Whiskey
20181213_215323.jpg

Color 4, Cognac, and Bourbon
20181213_215355.jpg

Brown, Color 8, Color 4, Cognac, Bourbon and Whiskey
20181213_220613.jpg

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Regarding cognac, I have been told by Carmina that there were (at least) two different versions. As others have posted, the more recent was reddish, a bit like#4. The older version was lighter brown.

The photo below shows older cognac at the 9 and 12 o’clock positions, and the more recent cognac at 3 (this is based on the age of the shoe, not just the info posted above).

E0642354-81BF-4E64-921A-ED0E25E3AC12.jpeg

As an aside, I have the exact model (and size) that @Watchman1 posted. They are my favorite boots:

D00594B7-5BE8-4248-A5D9-C8C5551BF867.jpeg

C107BEEF-40DF-4A61-B380-750627BCC353.jpeg

Cordovanity

Reaction score
Does anybody with the Carmina balmorals wanna vouch to me on why it’s superior as a boot I could dress up or down relative to the AE daltons or a C&J boot (specifically looking at the Lindricks but others work too). Looking for opinions on quality, personal aesthetic opinion, etc. thanks

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, most folks in SF CM would Tel you not to wear footwear with open lacing with a suit. I might actually do that from time to time depending on the suit and occasion.

However, the dalton is definitely too casual for dressy wear with its double sole and exposed brass eyelets.

The balmoral boot is the more sartorially correct option for wearing a boot with a suit. I do have one pair from Enzo Bonafe. It’s pretty darn conservative (blind eyelets, smooth dark brown calf, single sole), so I only wear it with worsted wool pants, no cuff.

The Carmina bals mostly have some casual elements like mixed leathers that dress them down a bit.

YMMV.

I do personally find them quite attractive.

Sartorium

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi, I noticed there will be a pair of MTOs up for the charity auction. I'm curious if you can support MTOs with a different size for each foot; my right is quite a bit bigger than my left and I have a devil of a time getting loafers to stay on

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They look great congratulations! That’s a very quick turnaround time. I ordered the same boot in armagnac shell with double JR soles and storm welt on Oscar last.
I'd love to see pictures of your boots once they arrive. I'm thinking about getting another NST boot at some point with storm welt on Oscar or Llubi last. I regret not getting storm welts on mine, as they appear just a little too slender and dressy for my typical weekday wear. I think storm welts would've provided a more balanced design, plus Carmina boots with storm welt appear to have thicker soles.

cc808314

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd love to see pictures of your boots once they arrive. I'm thinking about getting another NST boot at some point with storm welt on Oscar or Llubi last. I regret not getting storm welts on mine, as they appear just a little too slender and dressy for my typical weekday wear. I think storm welts would've provided a more balanced design, plus Carmina boots with storm welt appear to have thicker soles.
Still haven’t received mine, but will share photos once they arrive. I would check with Carmina if they can do the NST boot on Llubi last. When I asked about NST on Detroit, I was told no. Only certain lasts can be used for a given patterns.

Also, don’t rely on the list of available lasts as shown in the customization section. For example, Oscar was not listed as available online for NST boot when I was ordering. I asked Carmina and received the ok.

up1911fan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still haven’t received mine, but will share photos once they arrive. I would check with Carmina if they can do the NST boot on Llubi last. When I asked about NST on Detroit, I was told no. Only certain lasts can be used for a given patterns.

Also, don’t rely on the list of available lasts as shown in the customization section. For example, Oscar was not listed as available online for NST boot when I was ordering. I asked Carmina and received the ok.

There's a member on here with a sick pair of bourbon NST's on Llubi.

Sartorium

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi, I noticed there will be a pair of MTOs up for the charity auction. I'm curious if you can support MTOs with a different size for each foot; my right is quite a bit bigger than my left and I have a devil of a time getting loafers to stay on

@Carmina hoping to get an answer to this before the auction goes live

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with the women’s riding boots? I assume they’re cool, right?

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just on weekends when I switch from being Victor to Victoria

LOL but I assumed folks would know I referring to significant others’ experiences...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads