• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These were my very first Carmina’s I should have known I was doomed.
147B6769-BA05-4593-8B62-44E01BE0A22C.jpeg

Shawl Lapel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Carmina shell experience follows; when I initially got them they seemed dry to me too. But after doing some of the things you intuitively mentioned, they are fine almost 4 years later. I used, and just recently ran out of, the Carmina branded shell creme. Seems to the bare eye, to be the same as my bottle of Saphir Renovateur.
At the beginning I used Bick, it didn’t help with moisturizing. Used VSC, also didn’t help. Luckily they are dark enough shell, (cognac), so I felt ok to try to use Lexol. Viola, dryness eliminated.

Now as I mentioned to maintain I use the Carmina shell creme; and since I’m out now will switch to using the Saphir Renovateur, occasionally adding Lexol for moisture.

The simple act of wearing them frequently will break in the leather, express the natural oils, and help with the dryness. If it really is super dry, a synthetic like Lexol can be used. For normal conditioning, I recommend Saphir cordovan creme. Renovator and dear bone or spoon for budding out scratches.

But mostly, wear and enjoy!

Thanks for your thoughts, guys. I have some pictures of my shells from last night. I swear some of these surface scratches appeared the first time I used a new horsehair brush from The Hanger Project. It was like the new bristles just scratched the shoes up... The second picture shows this spot the best. What should my procedure be to fix this pair up? I've just used Saphir Renovateur and brushing up to this point (last 2 years or so)

rrgHxoJ.jpg

BgrJyGZ.jpg

2hOwAFO.jpg

CSheff6

Reaction score
Hello, I have Yanko 915 last in UK 8 and it is snug over instep but fits good everywhere else. What would anyone recommend in Carmina Split Toe derby on simpson last?

This is my first Carmina

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did anyone get an email for a "summer sale" where none of the shoes in the linked section are actually on sale?? The shoes are just listed at their normal price, even when you add them to cart.

Yes, although technically, anytime anyone buys something they’ve had a sale...:bounce2:

jctune

Reaction score
Ha true, they MADE a sale. But what I'm looking for is the 25% discount they are supposedly saying you'll get when purchasing those shoes in the Summer Sale section.

So far, it's bogus.

You have to enter the code SUMMER-SALE at checkout, which then gives the discount.

I'm not pulling the trigger on what I was looking at - but I did test it that far and saw the discount.

jctune

Reaction score
Ok, that code still doesn't change the price for me and says "gift code in use" when I add it. But the price doesn't change.

I guess it's for the best and I should pass.

Strange - I just tested it again and it worked. On a lark I also checked to see if the code worked on "non-sale" items - and no go on anything not listed in the sale section (or on anything in the clearance section).

Unfortunately this clicking back and forth is causing me to question my decision to pass on some Cordovan cap-toes...

marker2037

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I figured out why. It's because they only have the colors shown for the sale. I was looking at the string loafers and I changed colors within the page from polo to brown as I literally just got the polo ones last week (for only 10% off mind you, I should have waited :brick:) and now I want the brown or snuff ones.

Dammit.

edit: well the polo were out of stock in my size anyway so I guess it works out

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughts, guys. I have some pictures of my shells from last night. I swear some of these surface scratches appeared the first time I used a new horsehair brush from The Hanger Project. It was like the new bristles just scratched the shoes up... The second picture shows this spot the best. What should my procedure be to fix this pair up? I've just used Saphir Renovateur and brushing up to this point (last 2 years or so)

rrgHxoJ.jpg

BgrJyGZ.jpg

2hOwAFO.jpg

OK now I know it was not just me. I decided to get the Hanger Project brush when I got my first shell. I grabbed my shoes that were just out of the box (so new for sure no scratches) and thought I would give my new shoes a brush down with my new brush. Then I stopped to admire my progress and OMG same as you scratches. I was confused as I thought how could the brush do this it's just horse hair I convinced myself that the shoes must have been scratched in the box and I just did not notice it. I applied renovator, rubbed it in, brushed the shoes like crazy and they went away. All this time I thought those shoes came scratched and I somehow I missed it. But now it see I was not wrong they were not scratched it was that new brush from Hanger Project that did it.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have Yanko 915 last in UK 8 and it is snug over instep but fits good everywhere else. What would anyone recommend in Carmina Split Toe derby on simpson last?

This is my first Carmina

Have you tried the Yanko thread? I have no data in this, but I suspect there are more people on the yanko thread who know Carmina sizing than vice versa.

Do you have your size in shoes by other makers? That may help as well...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads