• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MDeKelver

Reaction score
Alright y'all. After looking at so many great Carmina's for a while, and with the Euro where it currently stands vs. the USD, it's time to purchase my first pair.

Long-time Allen Edmonds buyer here. Some quick bullets on my sizing:

• All of my shoes are 11B
  • Some fit snug (5-last Strand and Strawfut, probably could have gone 11C)
I am a snug 11D in AE 5 last and snug (but in a nicer way) Simpson in 10UK.

Sandwich

Reaction score
How would you compare Caarmina cordovan to Alden´s?
Its the same Cordovan, as in it is Horween Shell Cordovan. So the leather quality is the same and preference is only a matter opinion. The only difference is in the finish. Alden applies an acrylic finish which kinda gives their Cordovan a glossier sheen. I feel that Carmina's finish is closer in finish to C&J, generally not as glossy, so more satin. In term of coloring the equivalent colors are slightly different. Alden's #8 is generally more of a dark eggplant tone while Carmina's burgundy tends to be truer to burgundy, like a wine glass held to the light. Alden's Cigar is generally darker and more olive than Carmina's Cognac which is more of walnut color (closer to Alden Ravello in tone but not in redness). Carmina's Saddle tends to be a little paler than the Alden's Whisky which I feel has a honey undertone. I can't really notice a difference in the Navy or Black because I haven't compared them side by side, though I can say that I really appreciate Carmina's Navy. I would assume that Alden's black and Navy are glossier. Carmina also offers a Ruby Cordovan which is a rather bright candy reddish color. Despite, all my observations I feel that Shell Cordovan will be Shell Cordovan, that is say, the hides can vary greatly in appearance. I own #8 shoe form Alden that are a dark eggplant color and some that look like red. I also own a pair of cigars that look Ravello. Personally, I love the variations found in Cordovan and other vegetable tanned leather. Go figure . . .

Jazzmenco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great response. The only thing I can add, in my experience, Alden cordovan tend to creases more and quicker than Carmina. I have a pair of Aldens that developed permanent creases after taking 5 steps. My Carminas on the other hand are much more crease resistant. I have a pair of boots worn several times that barely show creasing. They do develop the rolls but not nearly as severely or as quickly as Aldens.
See my photos

Aldens maiden voyage

Carmina after 5 wears

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought some lasted shoe trees with my recent Carmina purchase and have a question. All of my other shoe trees are Cedar and have a rough finish but the Carmina trees do not seem to be Cedar and have almost a sheen to them. Is this an issue for the trees and could have an adverse impact on the shoes?
But they're just as effective as "naked" cedar trees?

I think the Carmina trees are actually made of oak, not cedar. Since they aren't cedar, which is used for is moisture absorbing properties, it doesn't really matter that they are finished, since oak does not absorb moisture at nearly the rate that cedar does. However, there is a hole bored in the front portion of the tree and the bottom is shaped in such a way that it allows moisture to escape through that hole. They aren't lasted, just size specific. I can't say for sure if this design is superior to using cedar instead, but the certainly shouldn't harm the shoe.

I can't really notice a difference in the Navy or Black because I haven't compared them side by side, though I can say that I really appreciate Carmina's Navy.
I didn't realize that Alden makes shoes in Navy shell cordovan, but it has been a while since I stopped following them.

JohnnyL

Reaction score
looks like free shipping is gone. it's not on the site anymore.

The logo for free shipping is gone but the system still work.

I tried check out with shoes over 250EUR, no shipping applies. I got 50 EUR shipping fee(live in Southeast Asia) when i tried checking out with shoes on the sales page with value under 250EUR.

Shame I can't buy any as the two last that fits me are Simpson/Alcudia 8.5UK. I don't really dig the single monkstrap available though.

Last edited:

moixet

Reaction score
Great response. The only thing I can add, in my experience, Alden cordovan tend to creases more and quicker than Carmina. I have a pair of Aldens that developed permanent creases after taking 5 steps. My Carminas on the other hand are much more crease resistant. I have a pair of boots worn several times that barely show creasing. They do develop the rolls but not nearly as severely or as quickly as Aldens.
See my photos

Aldens maiden voyage

Carmina after 5 wears
Amazing boots!!!!

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Jazzmenco

Love those Carmina boots. Which last are they on?

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maiden voyage . . . Carmina x Epaulet Emerson jodhpurs:

Not sure what the best shoefie technique is when it comes to jodhpurs . . . maybe in the mirror? Anyhow, I love these.

Edit: Here's a better one, maybe, with pants hiked up a little:

Last edited:

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Epaulet
The Armoury
Unipair
quality-shop.com

SkoAB deducts VAT for sales to the US. I don't know if anyone has reported getting a customs duty bill for orders from them that are shipped via post.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads