• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

yywwyy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have them and they're great, especially for that price. I wear them in the same size as I wear all other lasts (except Simpson). For the price, I'd get them and not look back. Great loafer, IMO. Here's a pic of them next to the Soller-lasted chukkas from http://www.skoaktiebolaget.se/
The soles look kind of thin...is that true?

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Aargh! The Oscar last looks to be too roomy for me, and York soles don't have as much traction as Dainite. :(

Traction is about the same actually. The Dainite has larger studs but these wear down and the rubber composition is about the same on York and Daintie so traction wise there's not a lot of difference. What makes the York different is that it's part leather. For best traction you have to go with Commando. Or Crepe which is made of a softer rubber and works excellent on snow and is but a little more wobbly.

The soles look kind of thin...is that true?

For MTO you can spec about any sole, there are three basic soles 50 (single), 505 (double) and 500 which is in between the two.

Last edited:

kayjaybee

Reaction score
Aargh! The Oscar last looks to be too roomy for me, and York soles don't have as much traction as Dainite.
frown.gif

I love the York soles...I haven't had any Dainite soles from Carmina (I heard they're much better than most), but the combo York is super comfortable and provides great traction. The "Dainite" soles on my Loake Pimlicos are hard and have worn down rather quickly and aren't near as comfortable as the York. Unless I was walking in sh*tty weather ALL the time with a lot of snow/rough terrain, I'd choose the York over Dainite any day. However, for a boot I can understand the usefulness of the Dainite soles.

Last edited:

Asian Afro

Reaction score
Aargh! The Oscar last looks to be too roomy for me, and York soles don't have as much traction as Dainite. :(

Traction is about the same actually. The Dainite has larger studs but these wear down and the rubber composition is about the same on York and Daintie so traction wise there's not a lot of difference. What makes the York different is that it's part leather. For best traction you have to go with Commando. Or Crepe which is made of a softer rubber and works excellent on snow and is but a little more wobbly.

I have Epaulet's Steinbeck in burgundy shell with York soles, and it's more slippery than my other boots, which have Dainite. I can accept York, but prefer Dainite. I've walked on slippery ground during freezing rain in Dainite, so not sure I need Commando.

How does Oscar fit? Simpson & Alcudia fit me best, and I find forest a bit roomy, but workable.

mymil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Oscar is a little bit roomier than Forest in both the heel and toebox, and it has a slightly higher instep.

Last edited:

mymil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I should also add that because it's a boot, slightly too large is not nearly as large an issue in terms of fit as it would be for a shoe. Forest in UK 8 fits me perfectly, but I very happily wear an Oscar in UK 8.5, with literally no issues. It could also be that sizing down half a size would fit you, but I don't know your feet.

Asian Afro

Reaction score

^ I should also add that because it's a boot, slightly too large is not nearly as large an issue in terms of fit as it would be for a shoe. Forest in UK 8 fits me perfectly, but I very happily wear an Oscar in UK 8.5, with literally no issues. It could also be that sizing down half a size would fit you, but I don't know your feet.

True. I'd need to try Oscar before I can say whether to go down half a size. I have very low instep.

Fiddler

Reaction score
I have two pairs on Oscar and love them....quite roomy in width...but will say that the toebox area in them feels low... but not to any detriment.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wondering if its possible size down 1.5 in the forest last... I hate excessive creasing...

FC says not possible
RF says it is

Hrmmmmm

Concub1ne

Reaction score
Thanks for the PSA aj_del. I stopped by last week and it looked like slim pickins though they weren't yet on sale. Had the string loafer been in suede or had the semi brogue been in a lighter suede I would have snap bought. If the shell boot ever goes on sale I think SF is gonna gobble it up in no time. $480 after 30% discount and vat removed isn't too shabby IMO.

Reaction score
I'm new to Carmina and just wondering if you guys can help me clarify something -> I live in Dublin so would the Carmina e-boutique the best place for me to buy their shoes? The prices on their websites are the same as the prices in their boutiques right? How come people here on the forum choose to buy from other retailers instead of directly from Carmina? It's said on the website that "MTO´S will have a 50 % increase on the retail prices" and I assume MTO is "Made to order" but I don't see the option for MTO at all in the e-boutique.

Their choices on the website are kind of limited but I do have my eyes on this http://www.carmina.telemaco.es/articulo.asp?idarticulo=3640213. Should I just order this pair now or wait to make a trip to Madrid sometime instead for better selections/prices?

Thanks in advance guys ;).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads