• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick question:

Have others used Saphir Renovateur on Carmina's black box calf as a conditioner? I'm about to order some but want to make sure it's not going to damage that particular leather.
Box calf is probably fine, but I'd recommend Bick 4 over it. Do not, I repeat, do not use it on their vegano (crust) leather. I did it on one pair and it completely stripped the color

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Box calf is probably fine, but I'd recommend Bick 4 over it. Do not, I repeat, do not use it on their vegano (crust) leather. I did it on one pair and it completely stripped the color
Noted. I’ll probably just go with Bick 4 to be safe.

What the hell do people even use Reno for?

Iloveshoes19009

Reaction score
Noted. I’ll probably just go with Bick 4 to be safe.

What the hell do people even use Reno for?

I use reno on my black box calf and my vegano brown shoes. The only ones i use bick 4 on are my museum shoes.

From my experience though, hand painted shoes are very easy to strip and while other shoes arent easy to strip the dye it may happen if you use it too aggressively. For example, i use it on all my shoes but i did slightly strip one pair of brown c&j. But it only happen when i was using it very aggressively, when i stopped being so rough it stopped stripping

PGS

Reaction score
I always thought it was for aniline dyed leather when you wanted to clean them up from a build up of polish etc.
That's Renomat, no? Renovateur is the conditioner. I've used Renovateur without issue on pretty much every leather, though I've avoided it on shoes that have had a patina applied.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's Renomat, no? Renovateur is the conditioner. I've used Renovateur without issue on pretty much every leather, though I've avoided it on shoes that have had a patina applied.
I thought Renomat was more used to prepare a shoe to be re-dyed. Like strips absolutely everything not just polish/wax

PGS

Reaction score
I thought Renomat was more used to prepare a shoe to be re-dyed. Like strips absolutely everything not just polish/wax
That sounds more like Decapant, which I've never used. I've used Renomat a few times and it didn't strip the original color.

Iloveshoes19009

Reaction score
Renomat is used to remove built up wax, however it does have very strong stripping agents so if you arent careful you will strip the dye as well

iva80

Reaction score
A similar solution from Collonil (Collonil Leather Cream) did the same thing. They contain solvents. I have spots on my vegano burgundy shoes. Same happened with shoes from another brand built with crust leather, painted at the factory, not the tannery.

Use only your tried and trusted leather conditioner, and try it out on the hidden area of the tongue.
Stripping off a little color can ruin the shoe experience.

jcreadeur

Honest Abe
Reaction score
AF0EB71A-867B-4062-8678-5DB09DC937C7.jpeg

Iloveshoes19009

Reaction score
Does anyone wear shell derby boots with dress pants or business casual attire? I'm thinking about a pair and would love some pictures of your outfits with these boots

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
I've started to come around on Bick 4 over Saphir. I don't like that Saphir can be overly abrasive on the finish- not to mention the smell. I tend to go with bick 4 or pure polish these days. Though I will say Saphir's coloured creams are top notch.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads