• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chiggyv

Reaction score
After years of Alden I've just recieved my first pair of Carmina. eBay find Carmina x Trading Post Japan Snuff String Loafers for $60 all in.

Thrilled with the quality and finishing. As Alden prices creep up I'm starting to seek other avenues to get my shoe fix. A pair of split toe derby's may be in my future.

As per sizing I went TTS + 0.5 for Uetam, knowing from a try on that TTS Simpson was far too narrow. (I take TTS on Alden Van last). Length is slightly long and width is perfect, instep is a little high causing slight heel slippage; I'm hoping a tongue pad will correct this. Hell for what I paid I could always get these relasted to TTS wide and still come out ahead.

Attachments

• 20190823_192921.jpg
    20190823_192921.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 151
  • 20190823_192910.jpg
    20190823_192910.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 165

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Have any of you guys done or seen an austerity brogue boot but not in the balmoral style? ie. more like the short wing jumper style but without any broguing or pinking?

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
not sure if this is already out there but it looks like Carmina is moving their NYC store to Madison Ave

I hope this is for the best. they currently do not stock many sizes in the current side st location - which limits ability to try on shoes... I was there last week, and everything "not accessible and in storage"

Carmina

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I've already connected with the main CS today.

Just got back from holidays today, many thanks everyone who visited our store during the Kirby Allison event in our New York store.

I will reply as soon as possible, please bare in mind we have been forwarded a large amount of messages through styleforum. For any urgent matters regarding custom made orders you wish to modify, please contact [email protected]

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For anyone interested, we will be receiving a re-stock of amaretto Cordovan by the end of this week.

Should you like to make any Styleforum GMTO proposals, we are open to assist.
Great news. I'm interested in getting another pair of boots in Amaretto

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone got any sizing advice on Detroit/Oscar vs Barrie. Instep/toe room etc

For me, I go:

(Brannock - about 13.5 US)
Barrie - 13 US
Oscar - 12.5 UK
Detroit - 12 UK

However I don't think most people size down on Detroit. I don't think I'd recommend it if you have a wide foot or a high instep.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Anybody ever compare sizing down on Detroit but going to EEE vs true to size with EE?

For me, I go:

Barrie - 13 US
Oscar - 12.5 UK
Detroit - 12 UK

However I don't think most people size down on Detroit. I don't think I'd recommend it if you have a wide foot or a high instep.

Meelypops

Reaction score
For me, I go:

Barrie - 13 US
Oscar - 12.5 UK
Detroit - 12 UK

Thanks. How do you find the toe space and insteps differ between Detroit and oscar?

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. How do you find the toe space and insteps differ between Detroit and oscar?

So my foot is slightly low volume, averageish to a tiny bit narrow at the ball, but a lot of toe splay. Oscar TTS is really comfortable and I can wear slightly thicker socks. My Detroit pair is cap toe oxfords, always worn with thin dress socks. Probably a little less length than is ideal but they're still comfortable in the toe box. They are a tad tight across the instep on one foot.

Just as another point of comparison, I have a pair of boots in Rain TTS (12.5 UK) and I have to use a tongue pad and would definitely size down next time. And Forest TTS is perfect.

Meelypops

Reaction score
So my foot is slightly low volume, averageish to a tiny bit narrow at the ball, but a lot of toe splay. Oscar TTS is really comfortable and I can wear slightly thicker socks. My Detroit pair is cap toe oxfords, always worn with thin dress socks. Probably a little less length than is ideal but they're still comfortable in the toe box. They are a tad tight across the instep on one foot.

Just as another point of comparison, I have a pair of boots in Rain TTS (12.5 UK) and I have to use a tongue pad and would definitely size down next time. And Forest TTS is perfect.
We have similar issues it seems haha. I have a low instep, toe splay and a forefoot that doesn't taper. I'm trying to work out sizing. My barrie boot in 11D laces up but the facings are close and touch at the top.

I was basically trying to suss out whether a 10.5UK in Oscar or Detroit would be better in a boot, taking into account which is lowest volume in toes/ball and instep.

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We have similar issues it seems haha. I have a low instep, toe splay and a forefoot that doesn't taper. I'm trying to work out sizing. My barrie boot in 11D laces up but the facings are close and touch at the top.

I was basically trying to suss out whether a 10.5UK in Oscar or Detroit would be better in a boot, taking into account which is lowest volume in toes/ball and instep.

I think you should probably size the same way I did, then. Oscar is pretty middle of the road for width/length/instead and generous in the toe box. Detroit is wider, but not quite as wide as Barrie.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads