• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Carmina

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
We are very glad to announce our store will open the 16th October, keep checking for the opening details and some surprises to celebrate our new Carmina New York store.
carmina_new_york_store_render.jpg

Gabru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen, I'll be ordering an MTO from Carmina soon. I'd like a navy blue balmoral; my specific application will be primarily with suits in a business setting, but not an ultra-conservative one (not a presigious law firm or high finance). Thus, I have some flexibility and can break a couple of rules without consequence. I'm sure I will wear them more than in this setting, but that is the most restrictive requirement.

I'd like to gather opinions on a couple of items:

1. Shell or calf? Calf is more correct, but I still get a fair amount of creasing with the particular last I'll select. Navy shell just has a depth of color that is appealing, so I'm torn.

2. Whole cut or plain-toe Adelaide? Wholecuts are awesome but may be a bit aggressive. As noted, an Adelaide is somewhat more informal but that's not a limitation for me.

I'd greatly appreciate your inputs, and if you think I'm missing any considerations I am quite open to feedback. Thanks in advance!
Couple months back I had the similar idea and my requirements were closer to yours. I decided on shell because the depth of color you get with shell is just unbeatable , it's even more true for navy shell.
Plain toes make my long feet look even longer so I opted for cap toe with medallion. But I think adelaides will look awesome...
Here is mine for reference...
DSC_0738_1.jpg

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Carmina also does a Navy Museum Calf, so perhaps that could be a consideration as well? I have never seen it, but I imagine it is Ilcea Navy Museum and I have seen a few Meermin and Vass (below) makeups in it.

Also, is this the wholecut pattern?

I hadn't thought of Navy museum . . . That is interesting, though not sure I'm ready for it. It doesn't come up as an option on the customized onlin, but perhaps I'll look into it.

I didn't realize they had wholecut boots! I was thinking of this model, though on Simpson instead of Rain:
IMG_0025.JPG

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Couple months back I had the similar idea and my requirements were closer to yours. I decided on shell because the depth of color you get with shell is just unbeatable , it's even more true for navy shell.
Plain toes make my long feet look even longer so I opted for cap toe with medallion. But I think adelaides will look awesome...
Here is mine for reference...
View attachment 856058

Holy damn that is beautiful. I'm now leaning heavily toward shell . . .

I'm torn between Adelaide and wholecut. My feet are reasonable long as well, but I'm not discouraged by the thought of an uninterrupted vamp ... of course, I could always throw a medallion on. Ah, the tyranny of choice . . .

Manav Kapoor

Reaction score
I hadn't thought of Navy museum . . . That is interesting, though not sure I'm ready for it. It doesn't come up as an option on the customized onlin, but perhaps I'll look into it.

It does! In the Calf Leather section at the very bottom, after Brown Museum and before Chestnut.

I didn't realize they had wholecut boots! I was thinking of this model, though on Simpson instead of Rain:
View attachment 856269

That would be stunning!

I don't think the boots are available through the online customization. They were one of the special makeups in the Reddit x Carmina makeups earlier this year. I wonder if they can take special requests though.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wore my PTBs yesterday

IMG_1474.JPG

marker2037

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got my first carmina in today from Gentlemansfootwear polo suede double monks on Simpson. These things are really gorgeous in person, i would say right up there with my alden suede, look forward to future orders.
Dn9SfPwl.jpg
Very nice! I have my eye on these as well. How does the Simpson last work for you? Did you have to size up 1/2?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads