• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Car Detailing Thread

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Virginia Dandy
Anyone have any tips for cleaning/maintaining an Alcantara wrapped steering wheel?

I like the feel - but it's starting to pill and not look so fresh, especially around 9 and 3 where hands are usually resting.

Try this:

Ultra suede :
(Escaine, Alacantra) Should be cleaned by brushing the nap with a soft nylon upholstery brush, remove pilling with a single-sided razor blade and then applying a cleaning solution (Water /WooliteÂ
00ae.png
or DreftÂ
00ae.png
with a ratio of 5:1 or stronger) on to an applicator pad and apply to one area at a time (do not soak the fabric) Localized stains can be treated with a citrus-based cleaner, ensure surface is dry before use by leaving window cracked/open. For heavy stain removal- 1:1 Folex Instant Carpet Spot Remover / Distilled water- http://www.folexcompany.com

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Daytona John
+1 for Zaino - I also use their leather condition on the interior of my 330i - it smells great!

Z-10 is the best leather cleaner I have tried.

Virginia Dandy

Reaction score
Inspired by this thread, I splashed out on some new products recently. Finally had a free day yesterday to give them a try on the 2005 M3 (w/ competition package), the daily driver. Identical to photos below.

Clean wheels first (BMW wheel gel and a battery of different brushes). The ZCP wheels are a ***** to clean in all of the nooks but are easier than the standard M3 wheels.

Usual wash (MF mitts and a Meguiar's product I've had for ages).

Zaino clay bar (new) with Wolfgang lubricant (new). I really liked how it pulled off stuff left behind after washing and left everything super smooth. An alarming amount of crap came off the areas behind the rear wheels.

Wash again.

Dry (an extra thick MF towel - forget where I picked that one up but it's mighty thirsty).

Then into new territory for me. I'd never ventured into polishing or waxing myself before - but usually had a pro detail job once or twice per year. My usual washing had left some swirls in the meantime, of course. I gave the Klasse All-In-One Polish a try (ordered from Autogeek.net). Wow - what a difference. Covered the swirls nicely and the shine is plenty wet and deep for me.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Dressed the tires with Zaino Z16 (new). This stuff is great - really black but not glossy and oily looking.

Zymol cleaner and conditioner on the interior.

Some follow-up on the Alcantara steering wheel. Diluted Woolite works well for cleaning purposes. A razor blade is useless for dealing with the pilling - takes forever. I had high hopes for one of those battery-operated sweater shavers, but that was a bust - couldn't shave close enough to grab any of the pills. Basically have to pick them off by hand - which just blows. A nail brush does a nice job raising the nap, though.

Autopia.org apparently is the SF of the detailing world.

This kid is up in northern Virginia and does great work - and posts great pictures. Has worked on a lot of sweet hardware. This one is a nice 599 GTB with two checks in the plus column - not red and no Scuderia shields:

http://autopia.org/forum/click-brag/...h-39-pics.html

Go to his profile to check out other threads - lots of Ferraris.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will add another 'inspired' point -- I never used/knew about the MF toweling. Just got some and its sweet! Use it around the house too.

~ Huntsman

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Will add another 'inspired' point -- I never used/knew about the MF toweling. Just got some and its sweet! Use it around the house too.

~ Huntsman

Microfiber has been one of the biggest tech breakthroughs in detailing next to new gen polymer sealant tech.

My favorite vendor is www.pakshak.com for the best microfiber. I'm bit of a fiber expert. I did a shootout with about two dozen brands and they were the best. The house brand at Autogeek is also good for waffle weaves.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool. Thanks -- will order my next batch from them.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Since I am not interested enough in my car to spend time cleaning it, I would like to take it someplace for a complete interior cleaning and conditioning. Any idea what I should expect to pay to have everything scrubbed, shampooed, conditioned, etc. plus a complete exterior cleaning and waxing. Basically, I would like my car to look newish, but for the age of the leather and the assorted minor dings on the outside.

Is this something dealerships do well or should I go to a car wash kind of place?

I am in NY city and the car is a Volvo wagon (2001).

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
Is this something dealerships do well or should I go to a car wash kind of place?

I would contact a few high-end luxury car dealerships and ask who does their used car detail work. In my experience, most of them contract the work out.

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LSeca
I would contact a few high-end luxury car dealerships and ask who does their used car detail work. In my experience, most of them contract the work out.
Ditto, I would narrow it down and ask an exotic car dealer (someone selling Ferraris, Lambos, etc.) who they use. When you drop the car off if you see a lot of said vehicles you're in the right spot. Expect to pay $150 and up.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LSeca

The problem is that many dealership detailers do heavy volume and low quality. Often this even impacts high end dealers.

I would instead go to the Autopia website and look for someone in your area. These are higher quality OCD type detailers that use better processes and waxes/sealants.

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
The problem is that many dealership detailers do heavy volume and low quality. Often this even impacts high end dealers.

The Ferrari dealership here does very low volume but very high quality. I have used their auto spa before, although I much prefer doing my own detailing now.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you post a request for a detailer in NYC often the member will offer suggestions as many times they have connections that don't post on the website frequently.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads