• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Car Detailing Thread

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Sonus- German product i am hoping to try out.
I like their soap but a better German line is Einszett (1Z). Incredible performance.

I use 1Z Scheibenklar and Plastik Reiniger as my exclusive glass cleaner and plastic cleaner.

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
I use 1Z Scheibenklar and Plastik Reiniger as my exclusive glass cleaner and plastic cleaner.

Where do you find these products on line?

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My car has a lot of plastic/rubber trim on the exterior, is the Plastik Reiniger the product you use? Zaino said his tire shine can be used, but it will run off in the rain. He also mention 303, but he said that would run also. Does the product you mention hold up in the rain?

I like their soap but a better German line is Einszett (1Z). Incredible performance.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Z-16 is still the best tire product. Durable as anything through rain imho.

303 works very on door seals and window trim bits. Poorboys Trim Restore can also be good.

I would consider getting the 303 Aerospace cause it can be found locally and is a great interior protectant as well, like a supercharged ArmorAll.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Z-16 is still the best tire product. Durable as anything through rain imho.

303 works very on door seals and window trim bits. Poorboys Trim Restore can also be good.

I would consider getting the 303 Aerospace cause it can be found locally and is a great interior protectant as well, like a supercharged ArmorAll.

Armorall is a product that never should be near a car.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Armorall is a product that never should be near a car.

I generally agree but the new formula is much, much better.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The biggest problems with Armor All is that they are greasy, glossy, and merely coat plastic parts rather than actually penetrating the surface and restoring them.

I wish higher end products were sold in mainstream stores. I have to order just about everything I have online. The only things I buy in a store are my claybars, MF towels, and bug removers.

Speaking of which has anyone tried those bug bars? The claybars work but I'd prefer a device just for removing bugs and tar. They sell them on autogeek and other sites and say it is a nonabrasive that removes bugs and grime without removing your wax. I was tempted to try it but didn't bother.

Mblova

Reaction score

Hmmm Interesting. What products of Einszett should i use?

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
The 1Z interior products are all good. The external polishes are great but I prefer the Zaino line on the exterior now.

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A big step in doing a good exterior paint detail is the prep. I use Griot's clay bar that comes in a small tub. Does anyone have any idea if all clays are the same? What do some of you pros use?

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've found that most clays are the same. All clay bars will accomplish the same feat, removing embedded particles with the aid of a lubricant.

I've found that some brands, for example Meguirs to be a bit more oily and prone to falling apart as they soak up the lubricant.

This is why I use claymagic. The price is reasonable, I split it in two parts to prolong the life, it comes with lubricant, and does its job, leaving the surface silky smooth. This is one of my most satisfying stages because when I feel the surface after the clay it's such a big improvement.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LSeca
A big step in doing a good exterior paint detail is the prep. I use Griot's clay bar that comes in a small tub. Does anyone have any idea if all clays are the same? What do some of you pros use?

There used to be one type of clay on the market due to patents, but there are at least two types now. I use Zaino but Claymagic is available locally. Avoid Pinnacle, it's the one product of theirs I don't like.

Prep is critical. Generally we do a wash, clay, wash and then 1-3 stages of polishing before applying a sealant or wax depending on condition of paint.

Virginia Dandy

Reaction score
Anyone have any tips for cleaning/maintaining an Alcantara wrapped steering wheel?

I like the feel - but it's starting to pill and not look so fresh, especially around 9 and 3 where hands are usually resting.

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I applied my recently purchased Connolly leather care products and the results were great. It left a nice soft feel with a slight shine, unlike the other products that leave them looking greasy. I also used it on the steering wheel which had been sticky and dull, but Connolly cleaned it right up without being overly slick. An all around great product. Thanks for the recommendation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics