1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Car Detailing Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Beckwith, Jul 17, 2007.

1. LSeca

LSeca Senior member

Where are the Connolly leather products available? I agree with you regarding the look of leather in a car, as I can't stand the shiny look that often develops. That, coupled with cracking that I have seen, makes leather look terrible. How often do you treat the seats with the Connolly products? Is there a rule of thumb?

I use it once every two weeks. I find it has kept a clean and matte finish (no shine) and keeps the leather from cracking or even creasing. Here is a pic of my 40k mile track car. I took the pic of the driver's bolster as this area usually wears the most from sliding in and out, dove colored leather can be a pain to keep clean as well. Any shine is a result of the flash, it looks almost as good as the day I picked it up new.

[​IMG]

Here is where I buy it
    http://www.autogeek.net/conhid.html?...FRpzYAodajfkrQ

I get Klasse at the same place, it is imported from Gemany and originally developed for boat hulls. The stuff is, imo, better than Ziano for paint.

http://www.autogeek.net/klasse.html?...FRcvYQodewSWvg

2. Pink22m

Pink22m Senior member

Wow, from your picture, the Connolly products appear to work quite well! I will definitely check them out. Thanks for the information.

3. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

Just bought a Connolly moisturizer through your link. Thanks for the tip.

4. Maxten

Maxten Senior member

I use it once every two weeks. I find it has kept a clean and matte finish (no shine) and keeps the leather from cracking or even creasing. Here is a pic of my 40k mile track car.
    Looks great, do you use both the cleaner and the conditioner?

5. LSeca

LSeca Senior member

Looks great, do you use both the cleaner and the conditioner?

Thanks. Yes, I use the kit which includes the cleaner. The directions for the cleaner call for dillution with water, and I use more water than it calls for as I use it so often.

Btw, when I get home, I will share some pics of the car with the Klasse sytem on the paint. I will repeat it is the best stuff for the exterior of the car, very easy to use and long lasting. I use it twice a year and the paint always has a wet look to it. The sealant is acrylic based, very durable and with a thin coat of regular wax on top it will give show-car results.

6. Beckwith

Beckwith Senior member

Anyone have a good source for a wide range of microfiber towels?

7. visionology

visionology Senior member

These companies have a wide variety of microfiber towels Pakshak http://www.pakshak.com/ AutoGeek www.autokgeek.com Also as a tip, target sells some good quality microfiber towels. They sell 3 different types. Their lowest ones aren't very good but their orange ones (typically a 8-10 pack medium weight) are good for door jams, wheels, etc and their grey (3 pack) are good for wiping off compounds, polishes, and waxes. The grey are thick and good quality.

8. LSeca

LSeca Senior member

I wanted to share my exterior regimen. As earlier mentioned, I use the German imported Klasse which is an acrylic compound very good for older paint. It fills in scratches and swirls and gives the paint a wet look that lasts for 6 months or so (I wouldn't use it on a new car though). I do not use an orbital pc, just microfiber towels. Clean windows and wheels will go a long way in making your car look great. I always make sure my windows are perfectly clean, no chemical needed, just use the microfiber to wipe away dirt and streaks. Use a cheap wax on wheels as it makes clean-up quick and brake dust won't build up as easily. Another thing I always make sure of is the rotors and calipers are clean from rust and dirt, nothing worse than clean wheels and dirty brake components. I apply tire shine thinly with a sponge so there is no excess to spray up onto your fenders.

I have used one of these pics before, but it is a good representation. I have thrown in a few extras. Btw this is a five year old car with a lot of hard miles, except for the rock chips, I think the paint looks good a new.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

I use Zymol. How about you?

I also like 303 Sun Protectant; it imparts a nice shine to whatever plastic parts I spray it on and it protects the dash from those sun rays.

I have found Meguiar's Quik Detailer to be useful for those small incidents.

Thanks, I was curious. Like LS, I use Connolly products -- I assumed since its their leather their gear would be good. I keep wanting to send in a swatch and get some die for some time when I might need it.

Laguna, I've said it before but that's one awesome Beamer.

Regards,
    Huntsman

10. SGladwell

SGladwell Senior member

Anyone have a good source for a wide range of microfiber towels?

I bought mine at Costco. I also have some from Griot's Garage that were about 6x more expensive, but don't think there's any meaningful reason to pay that.

11. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

Clean windows and wheels will go a long way in making your car look great.

I totally agree with this statement. In a pinch, I've been known to wipe down my wheels, tires and windows in lieu of a full wash.

12. Virginia Dandy

Virginia Dandy Senior member

Use a cheap wax on wheels as it makes clean-up quick and brake dust won't build up as easily. Another thing I always make sure of is the rotors and calipers are clean from rust and dirt, nothing worse than clean wheels and dirty brake components.

[​IMG]

These wheels are tight.

I have the same brakes on my E46 M3 ZCP. Love the rotors but the M3 calipers (while they perform like crazy) have always been defiantly unattractive.

One thing that always drives me crazy is that after spending much time and energy cleaning up the wheels - I always seem to get some nasty goo that ends up dripping out of the vents along the circumference of the rotors and marring all the good work on at least one or two of the wheels.

I suspect that I am too impatient and just need to let them dry more thoroughly before driving.

13. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Senior member

I do not find Klasse to have any real value at hiding swirls, even when using multiple layers of Klasse Sealant Glaze (the top coat) on top of the All-in-One. When I started using Menzerna polishes, I started using the Menzerna sealant. It cuts out one step (really several steps since I usually used 2 or 3 coats of Sealant Glaze) in the finish process.

I find that Menzerna Full Molecular Jacket looks just as good as Klasse, and a single application lasts just as long as multiple coats of Klasse SG.

14. LSeca

LSeca Senior member

I'll have to try the Menzerna product. I have had excellent results with Klasse at hiding fine scratches swirls with this car, not as good results in a previous M3 which was black. I have also found one or two coats works better than multiple layers.

Virginia Dandy, one of the reasons I upgrade to the ZCP brake rotors is the aluminum hub. The regular Ms have rotor hubs made out of steel which rusts and of course weighs more.

15. retronotmetro

I have had excellent results with Klasse at hiding fine scratches swirls with this car, not as good results in a previous M3 which was black.

That may be the key. Five of the last six cars in my family have been black, and Klasse never really did much for swirls on any of them. I have found a few products that are pretty good at filling swirls, but none of them last more than a couple of washes, as the fillers dissipate or get washed off. I find that the Meguiars NXT paste wax does a pretty good job of filling swirls--I've used it for "pre-trade-in detailing" and was impressed at how well it worked. It's kind of like 3M Imperial Hand Glaze and a conventional synthetic wax in a single product.

The key to eliminating swirls is, well, eliminating them. A Porter Cable random orbital with proper foam pads does wonders at that, and is reasonably idiot proof (says the idiot). It can't fix major paint defects, but I leave that kind of stuff to the professionals.

16. visionology

visionology Senior member

It's ok to use a product to hide the swirls if that is it's secondary job, but I would never buy a product just to hide swirls, might as well spend the time to get rid of them (if possible).

The PC is pretty idiot proof in terms of burning through paint but you do have to make sure you don't use too rough of an agent and pad or you may cause more harm than good.

17. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Senior member

I bought mine at Costco. I also have some from Griot's Garage that were about 6x more expensive, but don't think there's any meaningful reason to pay that.

The Griot's mf is mediocre at best but the gap between pakshak and Costco is huge.

I use Pak's UltraPlush for my general better quality towel, their glass towel for windshields, and their edgeless for wax/sealant removal.

Sometimes you want to use a product that has filling properties when you have even the larger swirls removed. Zaino Z-5 Pro works well on black and other dark colors to hide in the finer swirls so there is a more liquid look.

What most good detailers do is a two step polishing process, often that looks something like this:

1. Rotary polisher using a "cutting" polish like Menzerna.
    2. Porter Cable orbital polish using a milder polish like Z-PC.

18. Beckwith

Beckwith Senior member

Spoke with Zaino and put in my order, curious to see how the car turns out. He offered some good insight and recommeneded some products other than his own. This is what I ended up with:

Z-7 Show Car Wash
    Z-16 Perfect Tire Gloss
    Z-AIO Z-AIO All-in-one
    Z-6 Ultra Clean Gloss Enhancer Spray

and he recommended Eagle 20/20 glass cleaner.

19. retronotmetro

What most good detailers do is a two step polishing process, often that looks something like this:

1. Rotary polisher using a "cutting" polish like Menzerna.
    2. Porter Cable orbital polish using a milder polish like Z-PC.

Rotary polishers are best left to professionals. They generate lots of heat and can screw up the paint in the blink of an eye. And unless the paint has major defects, you can tackle a basic swirl removal and polish job with a Porter Cable orbital.

Menzerna Intensive Polish and Final Polish can both be used with a Porter Cable polisher and polishing pads without any difficulty, so there is no need to reserve those products for use with a rotary.

20. FriscoSoxFan

FriscoSoxFan Member

1:6 Woolite to water mix on my Passat's tan leather interior works insanely well for next to zero cost. Use a fingernail brush to scrub. Follow up with a decent leather conditioner.

Works great on the carpet as well.