• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can a v-neck undershirt be worn under a v-neck sweater? (Pic included)

joeverns

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
OP if you like the look then continue on. Its good to keep in mind that by this forum being about style, the idea of what is wearable is more strict than in the real world.
6241.gif

Last edited:

Tug

Reaction score
this topic has come up on my site many times over the years, and the general consensus is:

1. generally best to keep an undershirt hidden
2. for one with a lot of chest hair or who wants to hide a tattoo, a showing undershirt is better than not
3. wearing a colored undershirt / t-shirt that has a complimentary color to the outer shirt can be a reasonable alternative to a plain white t-shirt
4. if the undershirt does show, it should be clean, and have a crisp collar that lays flat
5. use your best judgment on what you feel comfortable with from a style point of view. there are many socially acceptable ways to wear your clothing, but keep in mind that stylish men in forums like these will likely recommend a more optimal look, than a socially acceptable one.

i for one like the idea of wearing a button shirt with a collar underneath a v-neck sweater like this. i think that would look nice, and the collared button up would substitute as your undershirt.

if you do have a large amount of chest hair though, you might consider doing a little manscaping.

one reference article suggestion: search for "undershirts under v-neck" on my website undershirtguy [dot] com and you'll find a interesting article i wrote back in november 2009 about this very topic of wearing undershirts under v-neck sweaters.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ocutene