• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Deep v-neck knitwear

multiccy-csa

Reaction score
Dear all,
Besides Rubato, who seem to be the only game in town, where can i find a good quality relatively-slim-fitting jumper with a deep v-neck, ideally not being too long in length, to be worn with mid-rise trousers?
I think it's a good look under polos and open neck casual shirting.
Lambswool, merino or cashmere (or blends with silk) would all work.
Thank you very much, as always.
1702987975639.png

Last edited:

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear all,
Besides Rubato, who seem to be the only game in town, where can i find a good quality relatively-slim-fitting jumper with a deep v-neck, ideally not being too long in length, to be worn with mid-rise trousers?
I think it's a good look under polos and open neck casual shirting.
Lambswool, merino or cashmere (or blends with silk) would all work.
Thank you very much, as always.
View attachment 2094179

Also a fan of the deeper vee neck, as it was common decades ago, because it allows to give the tie the dued emphasis.
Currently seldom seen, besides Rubato, which made it a distinctive element of their design. However, against your preference, they have a rather boxy cut and looser fit.
The classic Oxton from William Lockie is rather fitted and not particularly long, but the vee is modest.

If you have a particular style in mind (depth of the vee, length and so on), you might better go bespoke, or made to measure.

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My favourite sweater brand William Lockie

multiccy-csa

Reaction score

My favourite sweater brand William Lockie
Very interesting. I think you very probably identified Rubato's manufacturer..the cut looks (relatively) short, too.
Shame just one shade though?

SteveMc

Reaction score
I'm a big fan. I have a couple from Spier & Mackay (their deep v-necks not the regular v sweater). The v isn't as deep as Rubato's but they're quite nice and cost half the price.
Another option I've found but haven't tried yet is Hippie Crew - the v is deep and quite slim fit compared to Rubato's and S&M.

Rubato's is definitely my favorite as it really gives a vintage vibe.

Last edited:

tonicab

Reaction score
I am a fan of Deep V-neck sweaters (short in length and long in arms).

D5Ojg0M.jpg

Blue is a vintage italian Deep V-neck sweater from broadwayandsons.
Green and brown from Atemporubato.
Mustard is an Alan Paine vintage.
Ecru is from WL Baltzar.

My favorites are from Atemporubato (fit is the best), but very expensive in my opinion.

Hippie Crew is a Spanish brand but I don't know if they are good in quality and fit.

You can get V-deep from Berg&Berg, but I prefer Atemporubato.

Last edited:

CottonTownBoy

Reaction score
Ebay is your friend when it comes to knitwear like this.
I have half a dozen sat here at work that I wear daily, with a shirt and tie, as its bloody cold in this building for 5 months a year. All lambswool V-necks, made in Scotland or England, and a couple are sleeveless.
The brands I currently have here are Alan Paine x 2, Hawick Knitwear x 2, Pringle (you just have to) & Hawico. I don't think I've ever spent more than £25 on one from Ebay and you can get a fair number of years out of them before they succumb.
Try one and see, its better spending £25/$25 on one than £170/$170 + shipping.with Rubato, if you don't know if your going to like it or not.
If your dead set on buying new than www.communityclothing.co.uk sell a couple of V-neck lambswool long sleeve jumpers, made in scotland for £64 + shipping, amongst all the other knitwear.

TheIronDandy

Reaction score
I am a fan of Deep V-neck sweaters (short in length and long in arms).

D5Ojg0M.jpg

Blue is a vintage italian Deep V-neck sweater from broadwayandsons.
Green and brown from Atemporubato.
Mustard is an Alan Paine vintage.
Ecru is from WL Baltzar.

My favorites are from Atemporubato (fit is the best), but very expensive in my opinion.

Hippie Crew is a Spanish brand but I don't know if they are good in quality and fit.

You can get V-deep from Berg&Berg, but I prefer Atemporubato.
How does the WL compare in cut (and quality) to Rubato. They're nicely priced on baltazar. but I'm spoiled with Rubato and wouldn't want to divert too much from that look.

jdgershbein

Reaction score
Not a fan of the deep V-neck. I don't own any pieces. I prefer the standard style that falls just below the collarbone level. Something about the proportions, maybe.

A sweater with a gorge below mid-sternum falls into cardigan territory.

Reaction score
I have a dark (navy) blue deep V neck I bought about 20 years ago from Paul Stuart, in merino wool. Ultra thin, it was intended to be a layer underneath a sport jacket. Such a beautiful piece... that I've rarely worn it!

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How does the WL compare in cut (and quality) to Rubato. They're nicely priced on baltazar. but I'm spoiled with Rubato and wouldn't want to divert too much from that look.
William Lockie has a much more standard cut than Rubato. Cut longer and straighter through the body.
They are definitely the manufacturer of Rubato's "standard" knits so the quality is the same.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads