• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Calling all tailors and/or cognoscenti: shorten jacket sleeve from shoulder question

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Warlok - why don't you tell us what jacket you are looking to alter.

It is apparent that your tailor doesn't believe he can do the work satisfactorily, whether it is based in fact or just his experience. But his explanation is something I heard before. So before everyone else chimes in and claims that it can be done under any circumstance, it will probably be best to know what jacket you want the work done to. Perhaps the sleeves do in fact taper too much to shorten any appreciable amount from the top. Perhaps 1 or 1.5 inches is the upper limit with okay results, but he is being conservative and saying you can only do less, only with the intention of providing you great results.

warlok1965

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a Martin Margiela blazer, brick print from last year. The cut is not weird or wildly different from other jackets or blazers I have owned. But his assertion that it can't be done well was a blanket one - not just specific to this jacket. He said the armhole circumference would shrink by an inch or more which would make it too tight for me. I'm probably going to look for someone else to get a second opinion just in case.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by warlok1965
It's a Martin Margiela blazer, brick print from last year. The cut is not weird or wildly different from other jackets or blazers I have owned. But his assertion that it can't be done well was a blanket one - not just specific to this jacket. He said the armhole circumference would shrink by an inch or more which would make it too tight for me. I'm probably going to look for someone else to get a second opinion just in case.

you can then create your own "look"

Unlike the spella blah blah blah that people fawn over on this forum, you can have the reverse. Maybe the spella Warlok?
laugh.gif

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by warlok1965

TBH. I think MMM blazers have longer sleeves as part of the design, not like a traditional MC blazer designed to show shirt cuff. If the blazer dip below the top of where your thumb hits your wrist it could probably use some shortening for sure. You obviously don't need to follow designer styling and can choose to alter how you please. I do this a bit myself, adopt the look or make it your own.

BTW that's a nice blazer, would make a very cool suit along w/ the pants.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
worlok, i think your tailor can do it but. after 50 years in the business he's getting a little tired and the hands are getting stiff with arthritis. now he just wants to do the less complicated jobs. i put in my 50 years and would rather relax. i only do work for the family and sometimes for friends.

warlok1965

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
Unlike the spella blah blah blah that people fawn over on this forum, you can have the reverse. Maybe the spella Warlok?
laugh.gif

Non comprehendum
blush.gif

Originally Posted by David Reeves
Well you can let the sleeve out. There's usually an inch in there.

That's good to know, thanks!

Originally Posted by erdawe
TBH. I think MMM blazers have longer sleeves as part of the design, not like a traditional MC blazer designed to show shirt cuff. If the blazer dip below the top of where your thumb hits your wrist it could probably use some shortening for sure. You obviously don't need to follow designer styling and can choose to alter how you please. I do this a bit myself, adopt the look or make it your own.

BTW that's a nice blazer, would make a very cool suit along w/ the pants.

Yes, it's true they are meant to be worn long. However, even given that it is still way too long for me and needs to come up some. I already grabbed the pants last season which fit me great (size EU48) but I had to go up to EU52 in the jacket, which was obviously cut for someone way > 6' tall or with freakishly long arms.

Originally Posted by a tailor
worlok, i think your tailor can do it but. after 50 years in the business he's getting a little tired and the hands are getting stiff with arthritis. now he just wants to do the less complicated jobs. i put in my 50 years and would rather relax. i only do work for the family and sometimes for friends.

Could be. I know he hates doing working buttonholes for me LOL! But I don't think he's BSing me, rather he genuinely believes it can't be done.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Def can be done. He probably feels that he will mess it up when he puts iit back together. It's not easy!

StylingUK

Reaction score
I definitely agree it can be taken up from the shoulders. But the better question should be how much can you take up?

Kentishman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had this done several times, always succesfully. The tailors doesn't like doing it becuase it's a fiddly operation and one of the big challenges seems to be getting the sleeve pitch correct after the arm is separated. Can't remember how much the operation is, as it's normally part of several other alterations, but it could be £60-70.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clearly this man does not want to do it and so you should not press him further. Try someone else there appears to be some believe it can be done although the jacket in question may be the problem and you should recognise that.

Martin Stall

Reaction score
It can be done but not always. It really depends on the cut of the sleeve. If it is made with very little roping, there might not be enough room in the sleevehead to get it back in nicely, depending on how much you want to take it up. Trust your tailor and if you like, get a second opinion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads