• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

matthewh

Reaction score
Is the quality worth it for $210?
For me, yes.
As I've said too, LLBean's customer service makes the decision to try them easier.

However, if the cost is prohibitive, then there are decent (American made and less expensive) options from Thorogood, Carolina boot and even Chippewa.

Embargo63

Reaction score
Those who now own or have owned Katahdin boots, how would you compare them to, say, a pair of Red Wing Beckmans or Gentleman Travelers? I understand not everyone who has Katahdins has experience with Red Wings. But, I imagine that many who are much more experienced than I know enough about them to make a decent comparison.

Is there anything so significantly "better" in terms of quality or style in the RWs that makes the comparison unfair? I'd be pairing them (in the cordovan colorway) with dark jeans and sweaters for what I think is a pretty classic fall/winter look. At $210 and with a 10% coupon code from Bean available more often than not, I'm leaning toward getting a pair and keeping what amounts to almost $150 in my checking account. With LL Bean's satisfaction guarantee, it's hard not to give them a shot. Then again, there has to be a reason the Beckmans and GTs are so popular, doesn't there? :fence:

supernsx

Reaction score

Those who now own or have owned Katahdin boots, how would you compare them to, say, a pair of Red Wing Beckmans or Gentleman Travelers? I understand not everyone who has Katahdins has experience with Red Wings. But, I imagine that many who are much more experienced than I know enough about them to make a decent comparison.

Is there anything so significantly "better" in terms of quality or style in the RWs that makes the comparison unfair? I'd be pairing them (in the cordovan colorway) with dark jeans and sweaters for what I think is a pretty classic fall/winter look. At $210 and with a 10% coupon code from Bean available more often than not, I'm leaning toward getting a pair and keeping what amounts to almost $150 in my checking account. With LL Bean's satisfaction guarantee, it's hard not to give them a shot. Then again, there has to be a reason the Beckmans and GTs are so popular, doesn't there? :fence:

I think Katahdin is more similar to RW Iron Ranger. I have my Katahdin for three years now and if you ask me to pick today, I will go for the RW if you don't mind the price different. I prefer the lower profile toe box of the RW over Katahdin.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think Katahdin is more similar to RW Iron Ranger. I have my Katahdin for three years now and if you ask me to pick today, I will go for the RW if you don't mind the price different. I prefer the lower profile toe box of the RW over Katahdin.
The fact that RW doesn't sell through their website is annoying. I don't want to buy shoes on Amazon.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

mixProtocol

Reaction score
They're both well-constructed. The Iron Ranger is more rigid with typically better leather (more smooth and polishable). The Katahdin will likely take less time to 'break in'. If you go with the Red Wing, there are places that offer it for less than Brooks Bros...

Last edited:

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They're both well-constructed.  The Iron Ranger is more rigid with typically better leather (more smooth and polishable).  The Katahdin will likely take less time to 'break in'.  If you go with the Red Wing, there are places that offer it for less than Brooks Bros... 
Thanks. Brooks Bro has 30% off soon. Any suggestions for competitors?

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Amazon typically has the Iron Ranger for $280ish and is running a 30% off sale on shoes ...
Thanks, at $248 I think I would rather buy from BB than a seller on Amazon. Plus I've heard the sizing can be an issue with RW shoes and it is suggested to try on before.

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
some shots of my katahdins. had them for about 3 years, still going strong.

a5Clluf.jpg

xj769N9.jpg

u8ulDEA.jpg

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they get a decent amount of wear, not a ton. maybe once a week average? more in the winter, less in the summer. that's fresh after a conditioning with obenauf's lp.

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am I right in thinking that Red Wing Iron rangers are on the same last as these?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads