• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shootist16

Reaction score
Wore these for the first time today since it's raining. Very comfy out the box. The picture with the grass is under pretty much direct sun. The other one had clouds over it.

Are those the J. Crew "homestead" boots? How do you like them so far? Can you post some more pics? I am considering these as a Katahdin alternative as I already have a few dark brown boots.

drrice

Reaction score

Biggie_Robs

Reaction score

What's the advantage of Obenhauf's Oil to their LP?

The Oil is intended for shoes, whereas the LP is intended for boots. I don't think the oil will last as long or protect as well, but it is easier to apply. As the name implies, the Heavy Duty LP is for more heavy duty applications.

shootist16

Reaction score
I bought some leather caterpillar brand boots and they killed the top of my foot for weeks. They feel so good now. I think that may be part of the break in period.

I went ahead and ordered a 9D and 9.5D. They showed to be both on backorder until Feb 26th but the 9D is apparently shipping now.

shootist16

Reaction score
UPS delivered my Katahdin's yesterday. I wear a 9.5 in athletic and dress shoes. The only exception so far is that I wear a 9 in Danner boots. 9's fit me perfectly in the Katahdin. I get a little heel slippage in the 9's and they fit snug everywhere else. The 9.5 would be way too big. Your mileage may vary but it does seem like the "buy 1/2 size down" advice is sound.

I'm trying to decide how to best keep the look that they have now. They come from L.L. Bean with an oiled finish. I do not want them to get darker, I do not want them significantly softer, and I do not need them to be waterproof/snow proof. I asked Chippewa on their facebook page and was told they recommend Chippewa brand conditioners and oils. Well of course they do. Problem is I cant seem to find it anywhere and that doesn't tell me if that stuff will mimic the finish that son them now. So...my question is which product will most copy the finish that comes on them? A light coat of Obenauf oil? Something else?

Pennypacker

Reaction score
^If you just want to condition the leather, in my experience Bick's #4 doesn't darken leather nearly as much as Obenauf's (but I don't think it's as good a product in terms of protection).

I sized down 1/2 as well. I wear a 9 in athletic and dress shoes, and I had to go down to an 8.5. 9 was comfortable but there was too much heel shifting in one foot. Also, it's my understanding that work boots should be snug out of the box. 8.5 had just the right amount of toe room and compression. Obenauf's LP and merino hiking socks are very useful to have on hand with these boots. The leather becomes a rich chocolate brown with a few applications of the LP, and breaking in the boots was a lot more pleasant with thick hiking socks, especially after folding down the calf to double pad the ankles.

There are a few niggling issues with the stitching, but otherwise, this boot is a 'best buy,' and can go toe to toe with similar boots costing significantly more. The L.L. Bean guarantee puts it on another level, as well.

Edit: One more observation. How you lace the boots makes a big difference when the fit is snug. Regular criss-cross lacing had a tendency to dig in the foot, but over-under lacing resulted in even, consistent compression on the foot.

Last edited:

MrMoonbeam

Reaction score
Could you elaborate on this? I've found the collar hurt on one side, but has eventually worn to comfort on one foot after 3 weeks.
It will be a few weeks more before it is fully broken in and if I could make it easier that's be great.

Edit: One more observation. How you lace the boots makes a big difference when the fit is snug. Regular criss-cross lacing had a tendency to dig in the foot, but over-under lacing resulted in even, consistent compression on the foot.

Pennypacker

Reaction score

Could you elaborate on this?  I've found the collar hurt on one side, but has eventually worn to comfort on one foot after 3 weeks.

If you mean the topline of the boot when you say the collar hurts, then I don't think switching the lacing style will make much of a difference, just don't lace the top hooks or tighten too much, or break in the boots wearing hiking socks. If you're talking about the tongue of the boot, then lacing might make the difference:

over-under lacing

Try that out and see if there's any change.

Last edited:

shootist16

Reaction score
I emailed Chippewa and asked about their recommendation for care of these boots. They asked for the style number of the boot. I gave it to them and got this response:

For oil treated leathers, we recommend the use of a cream based conditioner, such as Apache Cream, to maintain the moisture in the leather. To water resist these boots, the use of Aqua Seal or Snow Seal as well as Welt Seal is recommended, depending on the conditions the boots are being subjected to.

We appreciate your continued support of our brand.

Linda
Customer Service
Chippewa Boot Company
A Division of Justin Brands, Inc.

Last edited:

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
has anyone ever put a vibram christy sole on these? i think it would look great but i'm too cheap.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads