1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Calling all LLBean Katahdin Iron Works Boots owners

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jmillz15, Oct 13, 2009.

1. FENWAY

FENWAY Senior member

I own both and the only similarity are the classic designs. The Beans are a much sturdier work boot. I wouldn't hesitate to wear my engineers into any weather / conditions. My 1k's with the leather sole...not so much.

2. seer

seer Senior member

I have had extensive experience with the 1K and Chippewa boots. I know this is heresy in some circles but I find the Chippewa to be a better over all boot, much more rugged, with more general uses. And there is no comparison on the price.

3. poena

poena Senior member

The LL bean boot is definitely more rugged than the Wolv 1k. I own both and the Chippewa boot gets worn in all kinds of foul weather of if I'm going romping around muddy areas.

4. crosswound

crosswound Senior member

what is llbean's guarantee for the katahdin boot?

5. mixProtocol

mixProtocol Senior member

Same as for other LL Bean products: 100% satisfaction; return it any time for any reason...

6. crosswound

crosswound Senior member

that sounds like some people could abuse that ie after 2-3 years and the sole wears out to return them

7. helius0

helius0 Well-Known Member

Some people do.

They (LLBean) know it and are, at least for now, putting up with it. Here's a recent NPR story on their return policy.

8. crosswound

crosswound Senior member

damn man that is almost enough to make me buy those katahdin's but i'm trying to get out of the workwear look. i been in it too long

9. otc

otc Senior member

I hope that anyone complaining that the sole of a shoe has worn out is told "Well, Chippewa offers a great resoling program and even included a postage-paid mailing container in the original packaging". Obviously if somebody really pushed it, they would take them back, but I would hope that they would at least try to call someone on their bullshit.

10. seer

seer Senior member

Workwear is eternally cool...

1 person likes this.
  11. matthewh

matthewh Well-Known Member

Agreed...

As a follow-up to my previous review, I decided to keep both version of these boots. LLBean's guarantee made that decision easier.

Regarding the cap-toe boot, one of the things that was really bugging me about the fit was the way the top of the collar dug into my leg. Closer inspection revealed that the roll at the top was uneven and there were a few spots where it was much thicker than others. I figured if I could fix this, then they would be much more comfortable. Several others have mentioned having this problem and that it went away as the boots broke in. I didn't want to wait for that. I found two methods that help fix this. The first involved a pair of vise-grips and two flat pieces of metal. The vise-grips have a texture that would imprint or tear the leather so I used the flat metal against the leather, then clamped down on it with the vise-grips. I did this working my way around the collar and it flattened the rolled leather. On the second boot I tried a large C clamp. The C clamp had flat metal so I didn't need any extra pieces to protect the leather. This method went faster. After doing this the boots were much more comfortable. My disclaimer: I plan to use these as rugged wear boots, if you're at all concerned about marking the leather in any way, I wouldn't use this technique because it did leave some little indentions.

The cap-toe boots are still really stiff. They are comfortable under foot, but this is the first pair of leather boots I've had in a long time that felt like they really needed to be broken-in. I kind of like the discomfort of the stiff leather, to me it means they'll hold up a longer. They're getting more comfortable with each wearing. I really like the distressed leather as well. I feel no need to pamper these boots.

12. crosswound

crosswound Senior member

If you condition it it will help the break in a bit. Also have a pair of shoes to swap when it gets real uncomfortable.

Yea im trying to do less workwear. Thank god i didnt get crazy into it. But yeah the guarantee llbean gives makes this a good deal.

Then again they could always change it. Heads up if you get the catalogue in the mail it has a 20% off coupon one time use. Says it works on everything on their site.

My brother used mine already.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  13. dieselman89

dieselman89 Senior member

Is the quality worth it for $210?

14. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Yes. Love my boots

15. crosswound

crosswound Senior member

he would probably fork out the $$$ for his diesel jeans... j/p

16. dieselman89

dieselman89 Senior member

Hahaha too bad I don't wear them anymore.

17. crosswound

crosswound Senior member

$170 shipped with pretty much life guarantee i think is good. Better than diesel jeans.

18. f800gs

f800gs Senior member

I see the 10% off till Monday but I don't see a 20% in my current catalog.

19. crosswound

crosswound Senior member

I think its like jcrew catalogue they dont always give you a code. I dont get a code with all my llbean ones just one every now and then. Usually 20%

20. f800gs

f800gs Senior member