1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Calling all LLBean Katahdin Iron Works Boots owners

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jmillz15, Oct 13, 2009.

1. JDMFanatic

JDMFanatic Well-Known Member

Don't know if this has been posted recently, but 20% off the entire Bean website with the code EOF5121!

2. afixedpoint

afixedpoint Senior member

Just ordered another pair. Recently realized that my left boot is slightly bigger than my right boot, which compounds the fact that my right foot is slightly larger than my left.

3. shade

shade Member

Went to a store I had called earlier to pick up some Sno-Seal, and they didnt carry it. The person I spoke to on the phone thought I had just meant a boot seal that repelled snow. I was bugged cause I wanted to treat my boots, and it's hard to find Sno-Seal here, so I hopped in my Jeep and drove to the local Red Wing outlet. I spoke with the cobbler inside and asked him if they carried Sno-Seal. He said that they didnt and that he doesnt recommend that I use Sno-Seal as it doesnt allow leather to breathe properly, and that it caused over time the leather to rot. He told me that he isnt trying to sell me one of his stores products but that Sno-Seal just puts a wax like barrier over the leather, and doesnt treat it, as it is all beeswax. I asked his what he recommended and he told me to try their All Natural Leather Dressing. It consists of Pine Pitch, Mink Oil & Beeswax. He said that is what he recommends to all people that purchase his boots, and that they wouldnt sell it at Red Wing if it wasnt effective, and that if I didnt like it I could return it full refund. It was on 8.99 + Tax, and I wanted to treat my boots, so i took the hook.

[​IMG]

Here is what the contents look like. Similar to Sno-seal in appearance, but you don't have to heat up the boot to apply it. I asked the cobbler this as well at the store, and he said to just use a dry cloth, or your hand, and it would go on fine. He just advised to make sure youre applying it to a clean boot as dirt is what really ruins the leather and the stiching in boots. As mine were new I didnt have a problem.

[​IMG]

I put on two applications, as the first one really just sucks up the dressing. He told me that it would probably take two or 3 application for the first treatment, and then to reapply as the boot appears to be drying out. To keep a leather supple it should be treated frequently as you would your own skin. Here is what they looked like after two treatments of the dressing and drying for about 6 hours.

[​IMG]

I really like the rich chocolate brown the boot becomes after adding the dressing. It has a really elegant look to it. I checked out the Iron Rangers while I was at Red Wing, and I really like the Katahdins appearance over it. Just thought Id share my little experiment with this stuff with you all. I might reapply one more application before hitting the road with my boots, just to be sure. Thanks again!

4. Pennypacker

Pennypacker Member

Thanks for the coupon. It brought the price down to $143, which is an amazing price for a good US made boot.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  5. bl@ster

bl@ster Senior member

A coupon code @ Bean?! 0mg! Thanks, just picked up the Signature Wool Tweed Herringbone blazer.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  6. otc

otc Senior member

Funny...because people elsewhere often say that real mink oil is not good for leather and will cause it to rot. And if snow seal doesn't allow the leather to breathe, why would the red wing product that is also mostly beaswax not behave in exactly the same way?

I think most people don't know what they are talking about but since all of the products work about the same, they can get by. Its not that they are malicious, the probably honestly believe that one thing is better than the other, possibly even from personal experience...but when the sample size is one, anything can happen (maybe Sno-seal "ruined" a pair of boots that were actually made with faulty leather or had some other bad treatment while the next pair that lasted forever with red wing dressing was just a better pair of boots).

Who knows...I'm out of sno-seal so I am going to try some Obenauf's LP on some boots that have not yet been waterproofed (and then probably use it again when it is time for a fresh coat on my Katahdins). Nothing wrong with the sno-seal...I just want to try the Cadillac of boot-goop.

7. Teger

Teger Senior member

8. Dewey

Dewey Senior member

I wear these a lot in the winter ... they are my main boot for snow and salty slush on weekends and days off.

I sized up so I could wear wigwam socks and an orthotic. When it's really cold I can swap out the orthotic for a wool liner.

At three years they are as good as new. Good deal for the price, esp. with that code.

9. Biggie_Robs

Biggie_Robs Senior member

Sno-Seal will not harm leather in any way. FYI, "mink oil" is just a label--it's usually made from lard.

The important thing is to stay away from petroleum products. I use Sno-Seal and Obenauf's LP on my boots.

10. shootist16

shootist16 Member

Can anyone confirm that the J. Crew boot fits the same as the LL Bean one? I want the LL Bean one and there is a J Crew close by. If they are the same I can maybe try a J Crew on and determine my size before ordering. My tennis shoes are all 9.5's but I wear a 9 in Danners.

11. MrMoonbeam

MrMoonbeam Member

The JCrew and LLBean models are nearly the same, but differ in the color, toecap, leather type, and cost depending on which one you are comparing.
    Otherwise they are near identical Chippewa boots. (although perhaps not completely identical ;)
    JCrew:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    LLBean:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

12. zueod

zueod Member

I can't confirm, but I can relay my fitting information.

I wear a size 10 in casual shoes (Converse Chuck's; Merrell) and a size 9 1/2 D in the Alden Trubalence last. I ordered the 9 1/2 EE Katahdin (mainly because they were sold out in the D width) and they just arrived this afternoon. The fit is perfect. Any narrower and I'd be hurting. Any longer and I'd be sliding around in the boot.

For what it's worth.

13. bl@ster

bl@ster Senior member

Yes, they fit the same.

14. slide13

slide13 Senior member

I think they fit different, though maybe not so much that you would take a different size between them. The Katahdin comes with a cushioned insole while the J Crew boot does not. J Crew boots fits longer and fuller in volume in my experience. They are on different lasts I believe as well. That being said my Katahdins were 11.5 and so are my J Crew ones.

15. shootist16

shootist16 Member

I'm seriously considering ordering a 9 and a 9.5 and returning the one that doesn't fit.

16. afixedpoint

afixedpoint Senior member

Just received a pair of 9D, the fit is still not quite right. The toebox is a little small in terms of volume/width and it is a tad short as well wearing medium weight athletic socks. Can barely move back and forth half a cm. A quick search for Barrie shows one guy sized up half from Barrie. Barrie 9 and CP 42 both fit me quite well.

Should I try 9EE or go up half to 9.5D?

17. Dewey

Dewey Senior member

I would do 9.5D. 9EE will also be short.

Katahdins are on the Munson last. Standard army boot last. But the Barrie runs bigger. I'd start 1/2 size bigger than your Barrie size and go from there.

LL Bean is good with returns.

18. poena

poena Senior member

I had a bit of trouble with sizing too. a 9 was too big. 8.5 too tight. 8.5EE just every slightly too wide. i ended up going with 8.5EE and using mid weight socks but still a tad wide. the 8.5 regular was too tight though.

and now the left boot is killing me. I may have to return mine.

19. CPaul

CPaul Senior member

Really interested in picking these up after see all the reviews. Wish there was an LL Bean around me so I could actually try them on though (live in SD). I see most people commenting about how these are perfect for winter. Are these too warm to be worn during the summer?

Thanks.

20. chill1217

chill1217 Well-Known Member

i tend to think shoes are kind of flexible in terms of what temperature you can wear them at. i have the j. crew chippewas, and they don't have any sort of extra lining, just the leather. so while you wouldn't wear them in 90+ degree weather, i don't think they would be worse than any other leather shoe