1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Calling all LLBean Katahdin Iron Works Boots owners

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jmillz15, Oct 13, 2009.

1. drrice

drrice New Member

Do you guys put shoe trees inside your katahdin's? I'm debating on putting them in or letting them flatten out.

2. MrMoonbeam

MrMoonbeam Member

Any general thoughts on how frequently to reapply mink oil and/or Obenaufs?
    All I seem to come across is 'whenever it needs it...'
    How do you know when that might be? What are the signs to look for?

So lets assume I wear mine on a daily basis during the week and occassionally on weekends.
    Assume as well I don't get caught in any major tempests or go puddle jumping on purpose.
    6 months? 1 year?

3. otc

otc Senior member

I used to...but then I got another pair of shoes and was short on trees so...they go treeless.

If I brought them home soaking wet, I would probably tree them but with normal wear I haven't really noticed much of a differance between tree and non-tree. They are built pretty sturdy although it might make some what of a differance in the long run (and really, most trees aren't really gonna fill out that toe box).

4. wesmamyke

wesmamyke Active Member

I just received my long backordered iron works boots.

First off they stopped using the rough out nap leather. They are the same dark brown oily leather as the regular Chippewa boots.

Mine are going straight back as they are defective, stitching is completely messed up and coming out on the uppers. Also just generally look like hell, covered in white sticky stuff, all scuffed up.

LLBean in paying for the return shipping and were very nice about it though.

5. ruben

ruben Senior member

Hav any of you found the toebox able to stretch out over time, mines a bit tight on my right foot.

6. chill1217

chill1217 Well-Known Member

it's leather so it should stretch, or you could even have a cobbler stretch it out

(conjecture only, no first hand experience)

7. rossi

rossi Well-Known Member

Do you think the toecap will polish up nicely?
    I know these are meant as workboots, but I wonder if it can masquerade as a dressboot without too close eyeing.

8. wesmamyke

wesmamyke Active Member

Well if by dress up you mean a Canadian tuxedo, then maybe yes...

They are really rough looking, that's why I bought them. But at least with the suede like leather they had been using they at least stood out and looked a little different.

Now they are made of the exact same dark brown smooth leather as the regular Chippewa boots, it's very oily, I'm not sure any amount of product or brushing would make them even slightly shiny.

9. heyhey

heyhey New Member

After reading a lot of this thread, I've decided to pick up a pair of these boots! Ordered them a size down, I hope they fit.

10. shootist16

shootist16 Member

Let us know how you like them. They are quickly becoming my favorite shoes. Yeah they don't look all that refined. Mine has some visible glue in some places but they are super comfortable and they have a certain class about them.

11. shootist16

shootist16 Member

I am seriously considering getting steel heel protectors added to my katahdins. I really wear out the heels on my shoes rather quickly and would like to help them last as long as possible. I've never had these heel protectors though so I'm not 100% sure.

12. rossi

rossi Well-Known Member

If you're talking about the horseshoe thing that is embedded in the heal (not the ones nailed on top), then I would advise you to try a pair first.
    They make a hell of a lot of noise when you walk (the nazi's had them on their boots), and you WILL slide on marble or polished floors.

13. srivats

srivats Senior member

These boots have very hard wearing soles. It'll take you years to wear down that heel -- adding a steel heel plate is unnecessary.

14. isuckatusername

isuckatusername New Member

Looks like LL Bean is having a sitewide 20% off sale, works on the engineer boots. For some reason it works every time in google chrome but does not work for me in Firefox, so YMMV. You will know if you are getting the 20% off if you go the bean site and at the top it will say "save 20% on your entire purchase, limited time offer just for you". good 'till thursday

15. scoobydrew

scoobydrew Well-Known Member

16. afixedpoint

afixedpoint Senior member

Ended up going back to TTS 9.5, a tad long, but the significant extra volume in the toebox makes them more comfortable

17. rossi

rossi Well-Known Member

Are they sold out again? I can't find them on the site.

18. CPaul

CPaul Senior member

weird, I don't see them either. Probably a mistake, I just received mine this week. Some were backordered until the 29th or so of this month so it must be an error.

19. AmericoneDream

AmericoneDream New Member

I received a pair last week and they are really dark. I knew that they were going to be much darker than in the pictures, but they are even darker than I imagined. Very much like the color of a hershey's bar. That, plus the orange colored top part of the sole made the boots look too much like a pair of boots that a construction worker would wear for me.