• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying clothes to land women

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
Caring how others see you and what seems to be the predominant interpretation in this thread of the phrase "dressing for women" aren't the same concept.
Ok, then change it to "Buying clothes to land women you'd like to date." Obviously, if the majority of girls like guys wearing baggy jeans and all-over print hoodies, we don't dress for the majority of girls. We dress for the minority who likes clean lines and some preponderance to the subtleties in life. I guess what I'm trying to get at is that, after the millions of "why"s that question our motivations for doing things, the ultimate answer is to get laid (or help our kids get laid). Call me an overt Darwinist, but that's how I think.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ken
Ok, then change it to "Buying clothes to land women you'd like to date." Obviously, if the majority of girls like guys wearing baggy jeans and all-over print hoodies, we don't dress for the majority of girls. We dress for the minority who likes clean lines and some preponderance to the subtleties in life. I guess what I'm trying to get at is that, after the millions of "why"s that question our motivations for doing things, the ultimate answer is to get laid (or help our kids get laid). Call me an overt Darwinist, but that's how I think.
I don't disagree with you, in fact, I think that most of us are basically dressing to get laid, I just think some of us in are doing it in an indirect, by-product of manner, some of us in a very self-aware direct manner, and some of us are just lying to ourselves or others about our reasons.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
After seeing the gifts Socal doles out to boyfriends, i think i'm going to start dressing for him.

hahahha

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
The idea is that if you have particular tastes, dressing in a way that expresses your tastes will cause you to be more attractive to women that share your preferences.
Originally Posted by jonglover
I dress for myself, but operate under the assumption that if I like the way I look then the kind of girl I want to be around will also like the way I look. I don't think that's too far-fetched unless you have a very unrealistic image of yourself.
These sum up my feelings on the matter pretty well. I do find it hard to imagine caring about clothes in a desert-island scenario.
Originally Posted by Ken
I guess what I'm trying to get at is that, after the millions of "why"s that question our motivations for doing things, the ultimate answer is to get laid (or help our kids get laid). Call me an overt Darwinist, but that's how I think.
Overt Darwinist, I largely agree -- and in my own case, I seem to have introspective access to these evolutionary motives much of the time. I have trouble envisioning myself being equally motivated in many aspects of my life -- especially my professional aspirations -- if I were tied down to one woman (i.e., married). But then I guess I'm forgetting the second part -- helping one's kids get laid. Some research suggests that men's testosterone levels drop after marriage, helping to shift their priorities away from philandering and toward successful child-rearing.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
I don't disagree with you

Then let us celebrate this new arrangement with the adding of chocolate to milk.

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by montecristo#4
Yeah, but have you hit it or are you consigned to being "just friends"?
Hah - well, it's only been a few dates and I don't want to rush it but let's just say that we've firmly established we are beyond "Just Friends" ....Just Friends was on HBO last night and I laughed ****** off.
I think Brian SD nailed it on the head in that while most here aren't choosing their wardrobe strictly to appeal to the largest amount of attractive women possible, it is, at least indirectly, often a factor. Choosing clothes that express your personality even if they don't exactly represent it, flatter your build, and increase your confidence will likely only help your chances with the women you want to date. And those are 3 three prominent ideals that are espoused in nearly every newbie thread you see in Streetwear.
Well said...from both of you!

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ken
I guess what I'm trying to get at is that, after the millions of "why"s that question our motivations for doing things, the ultimate answer is to get laid (or help our kids get laid). Call me an overt Darwinist, but that's how I think.
If I dressed to impress anyone it would be my boss and other co-workers, much more than women. Women don't pay my bills or give me promotions. Sex is good, but living indoors is even better.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
If you truly dressed to attract women, you wouldn't be wearing any of the clothes we regularly discuss on this site. Unless:

A: first and foremost, you have no idea what "most" women want, find attractive, and expect. (Hint: Bespoke suits, Edward Greens, skintight raw selvedge denim, and slim fit hoodies do not rank anywhere near the top of the list when you ask women what they find attractive about men, )

I hate to break it to you fellas, but if you want to start dressing "to land women" you are going to want to take your styling cues from places other than Styleforum.

One of the first posts I read on the forum that sticks in my mind went something like, "wore a charcoal suit and an olive Boss turtleneck out to dinner and some club last night. The bouncer at the club waved us past the line and said 'nice suit' on the way in." OK so the post didn't stick in my mind that well, but the spirit did: clothes are tools, worthy of study on their own, but ultimately are just another way of communicating with the world.

I, and I'm sure others, try to maintain that spirit in our daily lives. When I want to look like a cocky asshole, I know which suit to wear. When I want to stand out just a little bit at the grocery store/tram stop/normal daily stop, I know which pants and shirt to wear. When I want to project the perfect balance of caring/not caring about what I wear, I've learned which jeans, shirt, cufflinks, and sweater combinations have never failed in getting a number. All of those situations, and every other situation I and any other heterosexual male find ourselves in, ever, are focused on landing women. Genetic fact, might as well embrace it.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are days when I am holed up working all day long, and due to the nature of my work (research) I am literally go through the entire day without seeing a single person outside of my family. But I pick out my clothes same as any other day. Actually, if I am working from home that day, I might actually change midday because something just doesn't work, and I can easily change it.

Or maybe I'm trying to impress the women who show up on my computer screen.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
One of the first posts I read on the forum that sticks in my mind went something like, "wore a charcoal suit and an olive Boss turtleneck out to dinner and some club last night. The bouncer at the club waved us past the line and said 'nice suit' on the way in." OK so the post didn't stick in my mind that well, but the spirit did: clothes are tools, worthy of study on their own, but ultimately are just another way of communicating with the world. I, and I'm sure others, try to maintain that spirit in our daily lives. When I want to look like a cocky asshole, I know which suit to wear. When I want to stand out just a little bit at the grocery store/tram stop/normal daily stop, I know which pants and shirt to wear. When I want to project the perfect balance of caring/not caring about what I wear, I've learned which jeans, shirt, cufflinks, and sweater combinations have never failed in getting a number. All of those situations, and every other situation I and any other heterosexual male find ourselves in, ever, are focused on landing women. Genetic fact, might as well embrace it.
If you want to simplify life to the extent that everything you do in some way boils down to finding sex, food, or shelter, then so be it - but again, if you wanted to dress in clothes that would land you women, you would not wear obscure Japanese selvedge denim, bespoke tailored suits, and shoes. The number of women who care about this is very small, compared to the number of women who would be impressed by a fused Armani suit and some Kenneth Cole square toes. This thread is not called "do you dress to attract only those whom you think share your interests and exclude all the others" Especially not If you are making the primal forces/evolutionary argument, how do you account for the fact that all of you who are "dressing to land women" wear clothes that most women don't know, care about, or are interested in? It must be something else, then. I return to my original point that even if landing women is your ultimate goal (in life), dressing so that YOU FEEL CONFIDENT is much more important than whether or not WOMEN are going to be interested or give a crap about your clothes.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
I return to my original point that even if landing women is your ultimate goal (in life), dressing so that YOU FEEL CONFIDENT is much more important than whether or not WOMEN are going to be interested or give a crap about your clothes.

I agree with you. The kicker is that a lot of guys here feel most confident dressed in expensive hoodies and button downs, military-inspired jackets that may or may not get your ass kicked by a Marine if he knew how much it cost, and kicks apparently stitched by Italian virgins.

I think that some posters are getting part of the equation wrong. They think that when you "Dress to impress", you should wear clothes that impress a woman. ime, women are rarely impressed by a man's outfit, though the converse is not true. Instead, you should "dress to impress" yourself. If you think that you look the business, you'll probably feel it too.

Me, I feel most confident when I have you by my side
inlove.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads