• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying clothes to land women

mr.loverman

Reaction score
whoever says dressing well doesn't help you get laid isn't dressing well

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting poll question that uncovers a seldom-spoken truth, although it's probably more accurate to change it to "get attention from women (or men)." After all, some people dress for each other in relationships.

As for how it all began...

Originally Posted by cldpsu
I never said that the people here represent everyone. People here are definitely different from everyone else when it comes to the point of picking outfits. People in general want to look good. Some people here even look good for the tripod that sits across the street waiting to take the picture that will later be on WAYWN? I think it's for the opposite sex personally.

Of course I'm going to say I think because this is the opinion that I'm entitled to. I'm just throwing it out there.

I think that after people began wearing clothes for warmth, people began to diversify the oufits, in which case women saw some outfits more desirable than others. I think that could have developed as another variable for male status once women were more selective of outfits.

Consider a Cashinahuan tribesman who is physically fit, hunts better than his other tribesman and brings back more meat. He is more liable to attain more women. Period.

Now consider in our society, with many more variables, a man who can bring more "meat" to the table, is more fit, blah blah blah, and on top of that, dresses well. The fact that you are dressing well signals the woman you are a better candidate then the guy next to you.

Whether people here have become infatuated with clothes is another topic.

Looking at evolving male markers of status, attention to clothing should fit somewhere with the acquisition of women.

Probably at the same time that people started wearing clothes for warmth, as those women who didn't choose the men who were smart enough/strong enough to gather the materials for clothes didn't survive.

Actually, it almost certainly predates that, from observations of tribes where clothing seldom if ever is needed for warmth. Men wearing ornaments from items they were smart enough or strong enough to acquire (like skin from a tasty predatory animal) do better with the ladies. Honest signalling, more honest there than it is in more advanced cultures.

Edit: who will be the first to describe in evolutionary terms why, in advanced cultures, women who want committed relationships often see a high level of clothing concern in a man as a negative when his sexuality isn't in doubt?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads