• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Balman

Reaction score
Does anyone happen to have any experience with this user?
The profile kinda screams fake, multiple orders from same people, and not that many sales (89, 49 positive reviews). But how wold a scam like this even work since the buyers are so well protected on ebay? I also doubt there's someone out there making fake Valstar stuff in their basement in one size only.
Seems too good to be true, selling new season Valstar almost 50% off, which rings the bells for me.
If something seems to good to be true, it usually is, I'm just curious how a scam like this would work.
Thoughts?

gimpwiz

Reaction score
1. Set up ebay shop
2. Get money fraudulently
3. Transfer money away out of ebay's reach
4. Ebay refunds buyers but cannot claw back money from seller. Fraudulent seller wins

haloitsme

Reaction score
Does anyone happen to have any experience with this user?
The profile kinda screams fake, multiple orders from same people, and not that many sales (89, 49 positive reviews). But how wold a scam like this even work since the buyers are so well protected on ebay? I also doubt there's someone out there making fake Valstar stuff in their basement in one size only.
Seems too good to be true, selling new season Valstar almost 50% off, which rings the bells for me.
If something seems to good to be true, it usually is, I'm just curious how a scam like this would work.
Thoughts?
No one knows it, you can try it buying from him and let us know.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this a common thing where people set up multiple accounts to sell the same thing or is this actual fake merchandise?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134749012687 & https://www.ebay.com/itm/314868048984

This is just weird because I wouldn't think of Malo as the kind of brand you'd want to fake but I'm not convinced this legit based on the fact that these two listings are identical

Today I found 3 exact copies of one of my listings (photos and description) from 3 different Chinese sellers, undercutting my price of course. New Old Stock made in USA Thom Browne OCBD. There is absolutely no way that these buyers have these items.

Ebay: "Not a violation of Ebay policies."

I don't know what a buyer will receive, but it will not be the item in the picture and it will not be genuine. Ebay does not GAF about buyers or sellers.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here’s one for your blocklist. This dude complained about two things (hemmed inseam and dirtiness) that were explicitly mentioned in the listing), and opened a return.

He never sent the Zanella trousers) back, so the case has been closed in my favor.

IMG_3532.jpeg

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here’s one for your blocklist. This dude complained about two things (hemmed inseam and dirtiness) that were explicitly mentioned in the listing), and opened a return.

He never sent the Zanella trousers) back, so the case has been closed in my favor.

View attachment 2065837
Glad you got to keep your money!

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Should I expect sales tax as a US buyer buying something from Canada? Making an offer and there's no taxes displayed but a note - "*Taxes may be applicable at checkout."

IIRC when making offers to domestic sellers it includes both the shipping and taxes so you see a grand total.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Should I expect sales tax as a US buyer buying something from Canada? Making an offer and there's no taxes displayed but a note - "*Taxes may be applicable at checkout."

IIRC when making offers to domestic sellers it includes both the shipping and taxes so you see a grand total.

You’ll likely be taxed by the Canadian government. I’m not sure of the process, but know you’re supposed to be charged.

Last edited:

div25sec9

Reaction score
One to add to your blocked lists:
vic-242956

Bought a NWOT Brunello shirt from me, then opened up a return request. He swapped in a worn stained version of the same shirt and convinced an ebay rep to close off the return as soon as tracking showed that it was delivered so I wouldn't have time to inspect it. I had to go through the appeals process to get it reversed in my favour.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you block someone from ever seeing your listings / bidding on your stuff again?

This guy refused to pay. Wanted to meet up in person because he didn’t want to pay for shipping. I’m thinking to myself “bro, if we meet in person, you’re paying for my time & bringing cash. I don’t accept anything else.”

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you block someone from ever seeing your listings / bidding on your stuff again?

This guy refused to pay. Wanted to meet up in person because he didn’t want to pay for shipping. I’m thinking to myself “bro, if we meet in person, you’re paying for my time & bringing cash. I don’t accept anything else.”

I usually tell people I’m happy to meet in person if they do it on my schedule and at public places (grocery store or something). It usually shuts them down if I tell them I’m available from 12:15-12:20 at Safeway.

But yeah… Go to the seller page on eBay and search for “block bidders”. On mine, it’s about 2/3rds down on the right column.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually tell people I’m happy to meet in person if they do it on my schedule and at public places (grocery store or something). It usually shuts them down if I tell them I’m available from 12:15-12:20 at Safeway.

But yeah… Go to the seller page on eBay and search for “block bidders”. On mine, it’s about 2/3rds down on the right column.
He wanted to avoid shipping charges I think. I told him if I’m meeting him in person, I’m charging him half the shipping fee for my time.

Henry S

Reaction score
How do you handle deleted users when attempting to update the block list?
"Input Error The following users were not added to your blocked buyers list:
5jGWdB9BTxe@Deleted: Invalid User or User not found."
Can't find him as it's random characters and not his actual name

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone from UK want to help me translate to this guy? I'm thinking one of our English's is broken.

Nov 18 - buyer made offer on a sport coat with a note with an additional offer for two more items. I accepted and sent an invoice with notes outlining his detailed request within about 10 minutes.

Crickets.....

Nov 22 -

IMG_5576.jpg IMG_5577.jpg IMG_5578.jpeg IMG_5579.jpeg

Your Honor, I object!
Overruled, you sir are a moron.

IMG_5580.jpeg

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How do you handle deleted users when attempting to update the block list?
"Input Error The following users were not added to your blocked buyers list:
5jGWdB9BTxe@Deleted: Invalid User or User not found."
Can't find him as it's random characters and not his actual name
The deleted users roll off automatically, you don't need to do anything. But, you can still delete them manually from the list if you want.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads