• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

namdaemun

Reaction score
If you're not losing money by giving him half off I think you should do it. I wouldn't pay much for a sweater with a visible hole and I think to get 100$ for it, is a win. Unless you think you can fix it somehow. Don't risk a negative feedback. That can cause much bigger losses in the long run.
THIS

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I despise people who do this, it ruins my searches. I was looking for a Barbour jacket for myself and kept getting no name crap from China with "Like Barbour" in the title. I report them every single time, probably wasted several hours of my life on doing it but serious pet peeve of mine.

Other than that the main thing I appreciate is telling me the condition whenever there is an issue with an item other than normal wear, Spoo will put a blurb like small hole in left arm next to his rating. He will than highlight this in a photo. As a buyer I appreciate this, I don't like when a seller doesn't mention it at all in his description just says something like description via photos. Than just puts up a photo with a hole in the material. Leaving you to puzzle out where the hole is and whether it is small enough to escape notice, reweave or be hidden when the item is worn. Just be up front about the condition, it is better for you and the buyer. My 2 cents as mainly a buyer on eBay.

I appreciate that you appreciate all that work! :)

Glad to hear it helps buyers - but on the selling side, 100% disclosure will get you nothing but more bids, more followers, and in the event of a case or problem, a win each and every time.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Since it's sold already I don't have the luxury of time

You can cancel and relist, right?

Have it fixed and then put it up with pictures. How would the refund etc work through ebay? If the buyer decided to say the item was not as advertised, what would the recourse be in that case?

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Going to try and refund and cancel and maybe do the transaction off eBay to avoid fees

txwoodworker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a student, and really like predictable routine. When I started selling things I really didn't like that one Monday down the road I could need an hour+ to ship things before classes and the next week need only 15 minutes. Awhile ago @txwoodworker posted a pic of his setup and some quick explanation on how he deals with shipping and I copied. Now, when I'm done shooting, measuring, and listing an item, I also package it then and write a number on the outside of the box. When an item sells, I check the description for a number, walk to the wall of boxes and find the corresponding number. I take the box off the wall, print off an adhesive label, and I'm done.

The most I've shipped in a day has been 10 items, sure. But unless a buyer is requesting combined shipping (of which I have had 0 requests so far), I don't have that unpredictable time pileup that forces me to consider being late to class or voiding my stated 24hr handling time. I love it.
This system works for me, everything is boxed up, 97% of items go to different people. I had 57 sales Sunday 2 weeks ago, by Monday morning 37 had paid, took me about an hour from walking in my office to walking out with 2 hampers full of packages. It's constantly improving, but it's pretty good now. I don't dread big shipping days.

Also from a suggestion from someone here (sorry I don't remember who I stole this from) I've moved past having a 3 ring binder of clothing info and I enter it directly into an excel spreadsheet which I then can copy and paste into my auctions. I can type a hell of a lot faster than I can write anyways. Works like a CHAMP!

What Master Spoo said...

I've shipped twenty items today (fifteen sales yesterday, five today). I'll add that building the efficiencies into your system before you get big will save you a whole lot of headaches down the road! I was printing shipping labels while watching the 49ers game yesterday. It's only work if you don't love it!
That's the most important thing. Have a system, any system, and constantly improve it.

DEAR GOD NO!

While examing the pull I see this. Is the sweater ruined or should I send these pics and see what he wants to do

Dude wants half off in lieu of that hole. Arghh
Fixing rough weave stuff like this is easier than you might think. It's a matter of whether it's worth your time. I'm always finding the holes after I pull the tags off, which is why I bought one of these:

Which also reminds me of another recent SYSTEM I've started to implement, organizing my receipts and returns and taking them with me when I thrift. The only upside to GW's slightly higher prices, they're the only thrift store in town that has an exchange policy.

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Going to try and refund and cancel and maybe do the transaction off eBay to avoid fees
Dude, you were about to get $100 for a sweater with holes in it you got for free. Reweaving is expensive. Give the guy the discount and count yourself lucky.

Towers

Reaction score

Dude, you were about to get $100 for a sweater with holes in it you got for free. Reweaving is expensive. Give the guy the discount and count yourself lucky.

Not to mention that unless you are familiar with a good re-weaver you could end up with an expensive and obvious repair, or a ruined sweater.

Last edited:

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

He agreed to a refund and doing the transaction off eBay for a half price discount...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads