1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. rebel222

rebel222 Senior member

Did you include that in the listing?

2. My Main Man

My Main Man Senior member

Agreed. The blood stained NWOT Canali shirt I got a few months ago was super awesome.

EDIT: /\ I'm not saying either way whether Yorker's jacket was legit NWOT or not. There's a very fine line there.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  3. Yorker

Yorker Senior member

Unfortunately I didn't include that info. Just that the pockets were sealed, and it was unworn, and pictures of the finished sleeve along with measurements.

4. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

I don't know, I bought 5 blazers from BB outlet, with tags and 4 didn't have sleeves made up and one did. A high end item, no one is going to wear without taking the basting off the vents, pockets are another story, but not the vents. I would say you have an argument, and just because she saw the item in the store with the sleeves not made up doesn't mean that that is the way it is always. On the other hand, if it comes back to you intact I would just issue a refund. If it doesn't come back, I don't think she has a case, especially since you have it pictured. If she leaves neg feedback, I think you have a shot at getting it removed.
    Tons of shit gets listed as NWOT, there are LOTS of bad apples out there, but don't paint everyone with the same brush. I'm about to list 16 NWOT HF shirts, the buyers are going to have to take my word that they're NWOT.

5. Steve Kane

Steve Kane Senior member

Question for you guys. How do you think I should proceed with this? I sold a pair of Bruno Magli boots a week or two ago, the woman received them and said this:

"Alas these 9 boots are too big, they must be men's. I am returning them reluctantly because they are perfect in all ways, except they are way too large , maybe its italian size..."

I specified no returns on the auction, provided accurate information and measurements, attempted to try them on (I am an 8 in men's and i couldn't even get close to putting these on), etc. Do I refund her or do I stick to what was said in the auction and risk getting into a whole issue/risk negative feedback? I don't really want to refund her because it seems like a buyers remorse/not reading the measurements/etc issue, but is it really worth it? They only sold for $35.

Any insight is appreciated.

6. Reigningchamp

Reigningchamp Senior member

eBay will make you refund. I had a similar situation and all the buyer has to do is send it back and show ebay it was delivered back to you. If they open a case and provide tracking and it shows delivered you take the hit no matter what. I received a return randomly, no contact from the buyer. Next day a case was opened and tracking was added. eBay sided with the buyer even though I had no returns.

7. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Feedback like these (the ones off the top of the stack, no less) make me enjoy what I do...

[​IMG]

8. namdaemun

namdaemun Senior member

How do you send jeans/dress shirts?

Regular poly mailers or bubble mailers? I'm leaning toward bubble but man they are expensive

9. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Most jeans I've encountered weigh somewhere between 1 and 1.5 pounds, meaning that the easiest way to ship them is in USPS Priority boxes priced as 2 pounds. If they're just barely under a pound, I'll use USPS Priority mailing envelopes. For foreign delivery, I go with poly mailers (12x15" size).

For shirts, I just use poly mailers. ((knocking on wood)) I've never had anyone complain.

10. namdaemun

namdaemun Senior member

So regular poly and not bubble poly, right?

11. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Yes. I don't think bubbles are going to be any better than unpadded.

12. jo22nashua

jo22nashua Member

I just received an message from a potential eBay buyer. He is from Sweden and has 6 feedback reviews which are all positive. Here is his enquiry:

"My name is xxxx, and I wonder if you might consider shipping these lovely Alden PTBs, as a private shipment, not using eBays international shipping program?

It adds about $170 to the sales prize with shipping and customs fees.

If so, I might be interested in purchasing your shoes at the "Buy Now" price level.

I recently bought an identical pair via eBay, from the US, unfortunately on a too small and narrow (US size 9, A width). That seller charged me $30, when shipping the package as a containing a "private gift, used shoes"."

Has anyone had this asked. What are your thoughts.

Thanks.

13. suited

suited Senior member

Deleted.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  14. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

I've shipped to Sweden many times, no problems. $170 through the GSP is craycray!!! Ship priority or express, but do not falsify documents or customs forms! That is illegal.

Get a quote via USPS.com - then message him with your price.

15. Bonney

Bonney Senior member

I think ebay is full of ogly stuff.

16. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

That's nice, honey.

17. namdaemun

namdaemun Senior member

Sick and TIRED of ebay

1. It was my fault for sending the wrong item
    2. I wanted to make him happy so I sent him the correct item IN GOOD FAITH without getting the incorrect one
    3. he said he would send the incorrect one back
    4. It's been a month and he says he's busy
    5. He mentioned "why don't i just buy it from you?" , which I thought was weird because it's one size too small for him
    6. eBAY is trying to wipe their hands clean (rightfully so) by saying they cant do anything
    7. There are some shady people out there
    8. Ban noodleboy27

18. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

I'm thinking of outright banning all ebayers that ask stupid questions. Someone just asked me that my inseam cannot possibly be the same as the waist. My reply would be:
    BANNED! From my current and future auctions.

19. My Main Man

My Main Man Senior member

Sometimes stupid questions are amazing. A few months ago, I was selling a pair of braces and a buyer asks me what size suit the braces would fit. It took me a half hour to write a response because everything I came up with sounded super condescending. Dude ended up buying them though.

1 person likes this.
  20. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Rofl, as if a 30W 30L is not possible...[​IMG]

I've done this once before. The jackets looked so damn similar, and were 1 size off.

I realized my mistake while the wrong package was in transit. I quickly emailed the buyer, informed him the first package arriving is incorrect, and the correct one is on its way. I told him as a token at my expense, he may choose to keep the first jacket at no cost, and do what he pleases with it (donate, gift, sell, dog chew toy)

He has since purchased over 10 other things from me since this has happened.

[​IMG]