Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Also important to note that the limit for first class international is strictly 4lb, not 4.9lb. Anything over 4 is going priority or express which will run you ~40 or more. Even things right at the 4lb limit are probably going to be more than 15.

2. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Oh thank u for the clarification. When I was on the phone with USPS she stated 4 pounds xxx$ amount and 5+ pounds xxx$+. So I wrongly assumed that the 4 pound benchmark naturally went right up to the >5 pound.

over 40$ sheesh...

3. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

If you have an accurate weight, you can instantly look up the shipping cost on USPS's website. If you're just estimating, I believe it goes in 4oz increments, so plan accordingly.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012

4. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Don't worry about it, we all have to start somewhere. I did a quick browse...they are not terrible.

One thing I noticed. This is not Hickey Freeman.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hickey-Free...SA_MC_Blazers_Sport_Coats&hash=item337c8ca006

THis is H. (Hyman) Freeman and Sons of Philadelphia...no relation. Everyone seems to make this mistake at first. You should change that right away

5. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Can u link me to that page on USPS, the little time I spent on the website required a zip code or providence code in Canada to give an accurate pricing. Is that info necessary ? As I assume we dont always have that kind of info from bidders before auction ends.

6. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

7. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

8. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

The description and title are fine, but the brand is still listed as "Hickey Freeman."

9. MuZI

MuZI Active Member

I have a pair of Cole Haan shoes I no longer wear. I was wondering if I should even bother listing them on eBay since I don't see these shoes bid up for much. I normally offer free shipping to entice buyers but I'm afraid I would end up losing money on these.

I sold the Coach shoes (light tan) for $61 and after fees barely made anything.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Question : When you bought these shoes, did you even for a split second in the store, stand there and think that one day you would see a penny as a return on this investment? Or were you just buying a pair of shoes because you like them?

11. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Fixed. ty

Question on shipping to Japan, any concerns I should be worried about? An eBay'r registered as a US address bidder asked me if I can ship some boots to Japan. I emailed him back verifying that he has a Japan registered paypal mailing address as well as his US. But while I'm waiting for a response, is there anything I should be concerned about when shipping to Japan with customs? I still need to figure out shipping cost, any recommendations as to how I should ship? USPS Priority Mail work fine?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012

12. concealed

concealed Senior member

I think he used a modified Dividend Discount Model and calculated the instrinsic value of each wear and discounted it to the present value, as well as a disposal fee at the end of their useful life, discounted to present value summed all those theoretical cash flows up and saw a net present value.

13. grendel

grendel Senior member

Accounting makes me want to hang myself

14. concealed

concealed Senior member

Finance, but potayto, potahto

15. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Probably not an issue, and I have no idea how you would be able to ask this politely, but can he speak Japanese?

I live in Korea, and generally the stuff I order is under $250 so it fits into Korea's customs exception, but on the odd occasion when I do deal with them, it can be a hassle as my Korean is far from being up to par (and I usually have somebody else talk to them if I can't get an English speaker). Minus the hassle on my end, I've never had a problem the 3-4 times I've had to deal with them. Never given anybody of purchased from any problem.

Regardless, I like to think us Americans in Asia (as well as Asians in Asia) make fantastic customers (and given that many sellers don't ship to Asia, easy to build loyalty with).