• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just put my filson coat on ebay last night. starting price $9.99. this morning its at $127.60.

i'm happy.

txwoodworker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok I have a situation, a buyer purchased a Belstaff jacket from me , he's in NYC so there was sales tax he kept bitching about the tax so I refunded the tax, he receives jacket and files a snad claiming its fake, I personally bought this jacket at barneys sale and have a few more that still have tax , his reason for being fake is that it's not waxed, usually I take returns but this guy had pissed me off more than once already, is it worry fighting? I can probably dig up receipt from barneys but I sold item as nwot, I know if outcome is not in my favor I lose some seller rating bullshit, but I have the truth on my side, any advice? Btw here is the item, Item # : 301008758725

Yeah, it sucks. I have a couple recent I'd rather fight, but chose to go the easy route. Pissed me off for a few hours each though.
just put my filson coat on ebay last night. starting price $9.99. this morning its at $127.60.

i'm happy.
Congrats! Nice thing to wake up to.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Got a guy who didn't read the listing or look at the pics, bid high and won.

Asked me to falsify customs documents (I reported him)

Now the item doesn't fit and he demanded all of the money including the customs charges to be refunded before he sends it back. Or else he will open a paypal case against me.

Obviously I said "**** No!"

Paypal case opened.....I was prepared with 11 pieces of evidence against him.

Wish me luck.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Got a guy who didn't read the listing or look at the pics, bid high and won.

Asked me to falsify customs documents (I reported him)

Now the item doesn't fit and he demanded all of the money including the customs charges to be refunded before he sends it back. Or else he will open a paypal case against me.

Obviously I said "**** No!"

Paypal case opened.....I was prepared with 11 pieces of evidence against him.

Wish me luck.

Did you actually say "**** No"?
lol8[1].gif
That dosnt help your paypal case....

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but HE has to prove delivery back to you to be refunded. They might put the funds on hold until the item is delivered back and if delivered you have to pay the cost + initial shipping, but never have to pay the customs charges OR the return shipping.

Never dealt with the paypal dispute people but ebay people have gotten a lot better in the last 2-3 months when I needed to call and speak with people about this same type of situation.

saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The guy who defaulted on his pymt just did a bin on the item. I canceled the sale and refunded him. Is there anyway to block buyers with 0 feedback?

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

lol8%5B1%5D.gif

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but HE has to prove delivery back to you to be refunded. They might put the funds on hold until the item is delivered back and if delivered you have to pay the cost + initial shipping, but never have to pay the customs charges OR the return shipping.

Never dealt with the paypal dispute people but ebay people have gotten a lot better in the last 2-3 months when I needed to call and speak with people about this same type of situation.

I think that is how it works, and given how he is acting he might just not send item back which would work in your favor.

Also for deductions / expenses, do you guys do any storage fees or something similar? What about depreciation on items such as summer goods bought in spring / summer but never sold and have less value now?

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
lol8%5B1%5D.gif

Of course not..lol. But that's what I meant to say.

I did, however, politely informed him of how the system works. He threatened again and I told him paypal and ebay would tell him the same thing, and that he would be out the customs charges.

The whole paypal dispute is frustrating. Paypal does not honor the 10% restocking fee in the event of a return. I have provided 2 forms of evidence of the fee in my listing this time. we''ll see if that works.

I'm hoping the evidence I provided of him demanding that I falsify the customs documents will just get him kicked off paypal. That would be the goal. I already accept returns, he is just fighting it because he wants the customs fees back, since I wouldn't comply with his demands. Thinking about just cancelling any order where the customer asks me to do that. I saw this coming a mile away.....well rather 6,718 miles away (Japan)

concealed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also for deductions / expenses, do you guys do any storage fees or something similar? What about depreciation on items such as summer goods bought in spring / summer but never sold and have less value now?

former, yes although that probably should go under rent/mortgage and expenses for purchasing hangers, rolling racks, etc.

latter, don't you expect to recoup the value in the following summer? depreciation on clothing is not really valid...

Do you guys actually keep track of specific cost basis for each item? I would think that is the best way, but its a lot of work for those with large inventories.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there anyway to block buyers with 0 feedback?

Not on an overall scale, and you'd be blocking the 99% of new eBay users who are not out to screw around. I've had 0 feedback buyers who sign up for eBay specifically to purchase something I had listed (or so they told me, and it was only 2 folks in 10+ years, but...).

I will deduct rolling racks and such purchased in the last year.

Ditto what Concealed said - if they are something I think will sell next year, I have a storage space already for out-of-season items. Otherwise, I just redonate and keep track of those deductions. I also buy clearance items in the winter and save for summer, and vice-versa - it's a longer-term investment that can pay off well (i.e.: a few autumn/winter coats I bought in June recently sold for way more than I paid - they appreciated, not depreciated).

saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok now this guy says he'll send payment as a gift, so he has no recourse. Would u guys do this or just keep it on eBay. He suggested it, so not sure if eBay would say I violated rules if I did it. Also would pay eBay fees, just don't want to give him any recourse at all or ability to leave feedback. Have any of u guys had any experience like this?

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol8%5B1%5D.gif

Are you 100% positive that if a SNAD case is open (or a paypal dispute), and you lose the case, us as sellers are not responsible for the return shipping?

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
eBay. Seller pays
PayPal. Not sure.

This kind of thing is what seriously boggles my mind. Same company (different building), different policies? Why?

As far as I'm concerned, a transaction made from Ebay through Paypal should be governed by Ebay's return rules.

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This kind of thing is what seriously boggles my mind. Same company (different building), different policies? Why?

As far as I'm concerned, a transaction made from Ebay through Paypal should be governed by Ebay's return rules.

I mean I can understand if there are slight variations in policy between the two. eBay uses PayPal for payment, but PayPal is used from many many different companies as well. So the standard is set through PayPal for all companies using that merchant service, and eBay can variate slightly from PayPal because of the business origination was through the eBay company, that uses PayPal.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean I can understand if there are slight variations in policy between the two. eBay uses PayPal for payment, but PayPal is used from many many different companies as well. So the standard is set through PayPal for all companies using that merchant service, and eBay can variate slightly from PayPal because of the business origination was through the eBay company, that uses PayPal.

The part that confuses me about it is that Paypal is a wholly owned subsidiary of Ebay. Surely they can play nicer together?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics