1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Man, I've got 4 returns this past week...so frustrating. And besides this last week, I'm averaging about 2 a week. More than half of them are claiming a flaw in the return process to try and get out of the shipping and restock fee...

2. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

It's all part of the game, just roll with it. Not much you can do about it.

3. thefastlife

thefastlife Senior member

Hmmm..mine seems ok

4. tben

tben Senior member

It does sound kind of like feedback extortion, however, I looked at your listing and I am glad you ended up taking the return. Not only did you keyword span, which is against eBay policy, but you described the item in good condition, which it really isn't because it has a frayed collar and color variations. Additionally, I wasn't really sure what the pictures were referring to. Could have turned out bad for you. Just my two cents.

Yeah, that sucks man. Knock on wood, I don't sell as often or as much as you guys, but I haven't had one in a while.

5. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Senior member

Stupid question, but is it possible to set things so that ebay takes their final value fee out of the total before the money gets sent to my paypal account? I'm assuming things are set up the current way (ebay doing monthly invoices) to allow for returns/issues to be solved. I guess I'm just lazy and would prefer to see the amount in my PP account reflect the final amount after all ebay fees.

1 person likes this.
  6. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

If you are unsure what keyword spamming means, it is your use of 'North Face' and 'Arcteryx' in your title. This really hoses people who are searching for those actual brands. I report every listing I find that has this and eBay normally removes these listings and warns the seller. Not sure how many warnings you are allowed before they start limiting your account, so I would refrain from this.

My recommendation from a buyers point of view is to remove the keywords in the title (Patagonia is a wonderful brand and doesn't need the extra help), and put some type of measurement next to your pictures. Also take a full length shot and circle where the discoloration issue is. I would have been shocked as well to find a 3" or 4" line of wear on top of the collar mainly because there is no point of reference to how large it was and in the photo looks tiny. Maybe add a ruler or quarter to the picture so they can see the size.

7. gerbilunit

gerbilunit Senior member

Question about invoices. A buyer paid for an auction they won and wanted to add in another item that didn't sell. What can I do to update the invoice?

8. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Either add a BIN on ebay for him alone, or invoice direct through paypal.

9. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I love seeing this message... Especially within ten minutes of listing an item at $54.99 + shipping.

Quote:
    Must be at a fair price, eh?

10. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Thanks for the tips on lighting. Here's what I ended up ordering, $180 shipped:

lighting kit with three stands, two umbrellas, CFL bulbs
    http://www.amazon.com/CowboyStudio-Photography-Portrait-Continuous-Umbrellas/dp/B003WLY24O

30" light tent with lights and mini tripod
    http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Platinum-Backgrounds-Product-Photography/dp/B000OZRFR2

60" tripod
    http://www.amazon.com/Vista-Explorer-60-Inch-Lightweight-Tripod/dp/B000V7AF8E

Will test out the lighting kit and if everything works well order a new mannequin soon.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  11. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

That lightbox is really expensive. Let me know how well it works. I made mine myself and it was about 20ish bucks.

12. Stewie

Stewie Senior member

Not a bad price..he isnt just getting the lightbox, but everything pictured there...I like the fact it comes with different inserts as well.

13. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

I have the same set-up. Whenever I want to buy something new for my eBays I think "can I do it myself for cheaper" and "can I make it as good". I made it inspired by these listings on eBay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/24-Photo-Ph...895?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a899ad927

I'm just wondering since his has a higher price point, if it's higher quality in some way. Just curious as to what because mine hasn't been giving me the results I would like.

14. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

The hassle of assembling it myself wasn't worth the savings for me. It does include two boxes—one larger and one smaller—and got solid reviews. We'll see.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  15. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

Oh I feel ya, nowadays I can afford to go a spendier route. I'm legitimately curious on how the quality is/will be like.

16. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

So this has not gone well...

[​IMG]

Luckily, the buyer provided an incorrect address so it wasn't my error, and so far he's been civil and I've tried to mitigate where I can by responding to him quickly and in a sympathetic and friendly manner, as well as having phoned USPS multiple times to get info for him, but I still won't be surprised if I get dinged with a neg for this.

What's really annoying is that he lowball offered on the item twice and so I blocked him, he tried from an account with a name one character different than the first one, which I blocked, then he came back with a reasonable offer a day later on a third account that I accepted without doing any due diligence. If only I'd caught it and declined that one too...

17. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

[​IMG]
    yyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

1 person likes this.
  18. dazedstate

dazedstate Senior member

congrats.

19. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

If you register your USPS account as a business account, and you can order a package intercept or re-direct for about $15.

20. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

So...tomorrow (weather permitting) I will possibly nail down my status as an internet big-timer. Pics or it didn't happen....to follow.