• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

txwoodworker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think he asking if there was a "best method" for listing as found in those other threads.

1. Take good pictures
2. Don't take bad pictures
3. No one reads your description anyways
4. You're going to have to take the return, so just roll over and take it early to appease the buyer
In a nutshell. I think the packing gif has been posted several times, there was a how to ship what tutorial that I copied and printed out, and taped to my wall. I think, it's good to actually read the 4k posts, there are easy areas to skim, it's easy to spot when someone is adding something brilliant to the discussion. Great discussions on lighting and photography recently.
It doesn't hurt that the belt is the mf bomb. The right product is always worth the time. Learning WHAT is the right product is the hardest part as my giant suit coat orphan collection can attest to.
On that subject I throw almost every coat and suit to the dry cleaners, I'd rather just not deal with it. Shirts - well I just improved my lighting and photography so I don't have to iron (almost) anymore. Just be a sponge, and when you figure out/learn something cool/learn something the hard way, share it with everyone here.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

This thread is intimidatingly large so I'll ask a stupid noob question. Some of the others (shoe care, shoe care product necessities, etc.) typically have a long, thorough post pulling together best tips and tricks. Does one exist on this thread, or do I have to read all 4000+ posts and pull together my own best practices?

If you enjoyed them in the other threads, maybe you could make one for this thread? It would be a great contribution to the thread and to others as well.

^ No sarcasm/snark, just thought it might be a way to repay the help you've received.

DanM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I already know the answer but...

I sold this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=181171947424 which closed July 14th. Shipped it out same day, so they got it by July 17th at the latest. Buyer just opened a case today (August 4th!) saying the tie has "very noticeable stains in numerous locations". Unless they are mistaking the Versace Medusa head for stains, I'm not seeing it. Sounds more like somebody spilled something and doesn't want to be out 10 freaking bucks. Should I request they send pics, or just suck it up and take the return (which will kill any attempt at making a profit on this item). I was reluctant to sell it in the first place (very seriously considered keeping it for myself) so aside from just the principle I'm irked that someone may have ruined an awesome tie and wants me to take a loss on it.

hooker4186

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For $10 I'd take the return. It's not worth risking the negative feedback over, cost of business and all that.

(It still sucks)

DanM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For $10 I'd take the return. It's not worth risking the negative feedback over, cost of business and all that.

(It still sucks)

ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

Great. Decide you don't want something or spill a bunch of crap on it (I'm assuming thats what happened), get your money back. Thanks ebay, for reminding me that people suuuuuucccckkkkk. Why is there even an option to not allow returns?

hooker4186

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It really does suck man. I have had a few returns on high price items and it blows but it is the cost of doing business on eBay. Pour yourself a scotch, accept it, and move on.

JabbaTheSlut

Reaction score
Got another fleaBay member for the blacklist. I don't know if they're on yet, but "peak_products" is somebody who I'd try and avoid. They buy/sell small hose clamps and fans for like $5 a pop to boost their feedback to over 1k, and then use the account for scamming. Pretty obvious history of buying the same, or close to the same, products from different people at the same time (i.e. Oakley's, iPhones, Allen Edmonds) then trying to return the one with any type of defect, real or otherwise, to the wrong person to get a nice item and their money back. That's just from what I've gathered from their feedback history.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

Great. Decide you don't want something or spill a bunch of crap on it (I'm assuming thats what happened), get your money back. Thanks ebay, for reminding me that people suuuuuucccckkkkk. Why is there even an option to not allow returns?
If it is returned with stains that did not exist previously, you just tell ebay it was returned not as you sent it out. You may have to provide pictures, but they will (are supposed to) cover you.

DanM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If it is returned with stains that did not exist previously, you just tell ebay it was returned not as you sent it out. You may have to provide pictures, but they will (are supposed to) cover you.

That's good news. I usually take several extra pictures of my auction items "just in case".

On a different note, how many of you post your auctions on tumblr, pinterest, etc? I think it was mentioned recently, but I wanted to visit the topic again (6 of my sales yesterday came from pinning some of my own auctions - it pays to have 800+ followers, apparently)

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's good news. I usually take several extra pictures of my auction items "just in case".

On a different note, how many of you post your auctions on tumblr, pinterest, etc? I think it was mentioned recently, but I wanted to visit the topic again (6 of my sales yesterday came from pinning some of my own auctions - it pays to have 800+ followers, apparently)
I do some on Pinterest, but I have very few followers. I need to spend more time working on that. I have no time to work on that.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

You have 800 followers? Whats your tumblr?

DanM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You have 800 followers? Whats your tumblr?
I wish I had that many followers on tumblr - I'm just getting started there. I'm up to 832 followers on pinterest - http://pinterest.com/DanielNM/grownup-style/ 777 following just that board, 832 following everything.

Fair warning, it's not all #menswear or even #styleforum approved. Although I try to avoid the sillier stuff
(merovingian knot, anyone?) there is a well expressed love of tweed, wingtips, and bow ties.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads