Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Apollotrader

Apollotrader Senior member

2. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

In a nutshell. I think the packing gif has been posted several times, there was a how to ship what tutorial that I copied and printed out, and taped to my wall. I think, it's good to actually read the 4k posts, there are easy areas to skim, it's easy to spot when someone is adding something brilliant to the discussion. Great discussions on lighting and photography recently.
    It doesn't hurt that the belt is the mf bomb. The right product is always worth the time. Learning WHAT is the right product is the hardest part as my giant suit coat orphan collection can attest to.
    On that subject I throw almost every coat and suit to the dry cleaners, I'd rather just not deal with it. Shirts - well I just improved my lighting and photography so I don't have to iron (almost) anymore. Just be a sponge, and when you figure out/learn something cool/learn something the hard way, share it with everyone here.

3. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

If you enjoyed them in the other threads, maybe you could make one for this thread? It would be a great contribution to the thread and to others as well.

^ No sarcasm/snark, just thought it might be a way to repay the help you've received.

4. DanM

DanM Senior member

I think I already know the answer but...

I sold this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=181171947424 which closed July 14th. Shipped it out same day, so they got it by July 17th at the latest. Buyer just opened a case today (August 4th!) saying the tie has "very noticeable stains in numerous locations". Unless they are mistaking the Versace Medusa head for stains, I'm not seeing it. Sounds more like somebody spilled something and doesn't want to be out 10 freaking bucks. Should I request they send pics, or just suck it up and take the return (which will kill any attempt at making a profit on this item). I was reluctant to sell it in the first place (very seriously considered keeping it for myself) so aside from just the principle I'm irked that someone may have ruined an awesome tie and wants me to take a loss on it.

5. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

For $10 I'd take the return. It's not worth risking the negative feedback over, cost of business and all that.

(It still sucks)

6. DanM

DanM Senior member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Great. Decide you don't want something or spill a bunch of crap on it (I'm assuming thats what happened), get your money back. Thanks ebay, for reminding me that people suuuuuucccckkkkk. Why is there even an option to not allow returns?

7. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

It really does suck man. I have had a few returns on high price items and it blows but it is the cost of doing business on eBay. Pour yourself a scotch, accept it, and move on.

8. JabbaTheSlut

JabbaTheSlut Well-Known Member

Got another fleaBay member for the blacklist. I don't know if they're on yet, but "peak_products" is somebody who I'd try and avoid. They buy/sell small hose clamps and fans for like $5 a pop to boost their feedback to over 1k, and then use the account for scamming. Pretty obvious history of buying the same, or close to the same, products from different people at the same time (i.e. Oakley's, iPhones, Allen Edmonds) then trying to return the one with any type of defect, real or otherwise, to the wrong person to get a nice item and their money back. That's just from what I've gathered from their feedback history.

9. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

If it is returned with stains that did not exist previously, you just tell ebay it was returned not as you sent it out. You may have to provide pictures, but they will (are supposed to) cover you.

10. DanM

DanM Senior member

That's good news. I usually take several extra pictures of my auction items "just in case".

On a different note, how many of you post your auctions on tumblr, pinterest, etc? I think it was mentioned recently, but I wanted to visit the topic again (6 of my sales yesterday came from pinning some of my own auctions - it pays to have 800+ followers, apparently)

11. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I do some on Pinterest, but I have very few followers. I need to spend more time working on that. I have no time to work on that.

12. masernaut

masernaut Senior member

13. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

14. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

You have 800 followers? Whats your tumblr?

15. DanM

DanM Senior member

I wish I had that many followers on tumblr - I'm just getting started there. I'm up to 832 followers on pinterest - http://pinterest.com/DanielNM/grownup-style/ 777 following just that board, 832 following everything.

Fair warning, it's not all #menswear or even #styleforum approved. Although I try to avoid the sillier stuff
    (merovingian knot, anyone?) there is a well expressed love of tweed, wingtips, and bow ties.