Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

That seems like a lot of work, time, and expense to get ones feedback to over 1100 then start scamming people. I've seen sellers who buy a lot of "best chocolate chip cookie recipe" listings at BIN for 25 cents (recipe delivered via email) to get to over 100 transactions with 100% feedback and then start ripping people off, selling counterfeit junk etc...but buying/selling to get over 1k feedback, over the course of 9 years and 9 months that they have been on eBay - that can't be right. Might have had a spate of bad luck buying, and I didn't really see where they are buying from one person and returning to someone else...not sure how you divined that from their feedback - did this buyer pull something similar on you?

I mentioned it recently...because I do have a Tumblr with only about 45 followers (at least 1 of which is a SF member) and things do get reblogged and looked at a bit via Tumblr but no sales resulted as far as I know. Also have a Pinterest, zero followers, only 1 repin ever - sort of pointless for me to keep it but I'll probably still update it when work is slow or whatnot.

2. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Ah - so you pin stuff from all over and toss your own goods into the mix. Hmm - maybe I ought start doing that - right now all I pin is my own stuff on eBay (then periodically delete everything as items sell or end, and newly pin my current active items). Apparently I'm not Pinteresting enough.

3. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

This and tumblr are enough for me. I have a link to twitter from my posts, but i never look at it. Pinterest just cant get my attention.

4. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

5. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Didn't you read the post?

PAYPAL!!!

6. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Seems like, accurately describing what you are selling, would be a better option. Then you can keep all of those German Marks. My biggest spending international customers are from Germany.

7. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

I believe I have heard this before somewhere in this thread...

8. JabbaTheSlut

JabbaTheSlut Well-Known Member

TL, from what I recall you've been selling longer than I have so your probably right. What I recall seeing though, from as far back as I could into it, was quite a few times of buying two or three similar items from a few people, and leaving negative feedback on the nicer item claiming defective, or damaged. Maybe I skimmed over it too fast to make a totally accurate decision. Also just decided to google the name(ametuer Internet detective) and got a pretty long post from another site where they used a switch tactic on a pinball machine. Again I'm probably just paranoid but I just want to avoid dealing with shitty people as much as possible.

9. ejay1

ejay1 Senior member

I shipped out some packages today and just checked the USPS tracking status on them.

A couple of them are showing delivered last year, and in different cities. Does anyone know why this happened? Thanks

Carrier:​

USPS​

ACCEPTEDIN TRANSITDELIVERED
    [​IMG]
    Delivered
    Oct-05-12, 09:20 AM, PHILADELPHIA, PA 19148

USPS​

[​IMG]
    Delivered
    Oct-09-12, 14:07 PM, MINOT, ND 58701

10. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

11. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

[​IMG]
    Delivered
    Oct-05-12, 09:20 AM, PHILADELPHIA, PA 19148

USPS​

[​IMG]
    Delivered
    Oct-09-12, 14:07 PM, MINOT, ND 58701

12. ejay1

ejay1 Senior member

Glad to see I'm not the only one. Hopefully the tracking issue resolves itself in a couple days or else some refunds might have to be in order..

13. ejay1

ejay1 Senior member

14. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

+1 Thanks Brian.

15. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

The original post that the person made is gone (and I never read it), but I'll +1 to this ^. The overwhelming majority of my sales go to Germany, 10:1 in comparison to Austria. Germans are different from Brits and Asians and Americans, but there is a lot of common ground. Germans like clear, accurate descriptions and fair shipping. I field questions often about shipping prices and I'm considering adding a disclaimer for Germans only to my listings.

At least once per week I'll receive a question asking why my shipping is so expensive and that I can send a small package for something like €2.50. I have to politely explain that A) I ship using the cheapest method, B) insurance is included and it won't make it any cheaper if I do not have it, and C) I'm shipping from Austria, not Germany. Austria is a sovereign nation that does NOT use the German Post for daily mail, but rather the Austrian Post. Therefore, you can't compare the postage price of shipping a package within Germany BECAUSE IT'S NOT COMING FROM GERMANY

^^Can you tell that it frustrates me to have to remind Germans that we haven't been a part of that nation in over 65 years??