1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. drlivingston

drlivingston Distinguished Member

Just Google complaints about the eBay global shipping program. You will see.

2. div25sec9

div25sec9 Senior Member

I'm from Canada, but ship out of the US; so I know both sides of the GSP.

Negatives: eBay charges customs for everything. Regular mail customs is not often levied, especially on lower price items, and when it is, is less than GSP. The negative for sellers is that customers can be scared off of the item as customs fees are listed right in the listing.

Positives: It's very easy to ship worldwide. Ebay does all the shipping and calculations. You are also covered for any lost packages, as ebay is the shipper.

I personally do a combo....direct shipping to some known countries, GSP for everyone else.

3. bpk1

bpk1 Distinguished Member

Got the inventory list completed finally - in case anyone else is interested in the lot, please let me know - it's a total of 699 items. Ranging from a 100 % vicuna coat, to a 2016 Gucci collection coat, to Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece suits, and everything in between!

4. MJMcRibb

MJMcRibb Distinguished Member

Don't you mean faux vicuna coat:nest:? Too soon?

5. bpk1

bpk1 Distinguished Member

Haha, it's alright I got all my money back eventually from that BS claim.

6. b19pen15

b19pen15 Senior Member

When you relist with GarageSale it should be the same as relisting through ebay, correct?

I'm not seeing a notice that the item was relisted when I view previously ended listings for my items. I just want to make sure people watching the listings are receiving notice of the relisting and price drop.

7. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Distinguished Member

I think relisting through garage sale launches a new auction.

8. noob in 89

noob in 89 Distinguished Member

Man, all these fake ‘vintage’ tees are giving me a headache. I’m not sure how these guys get away with it. I got exasperated and looked on Etsy, where the first thing I saw was someone selling a hi-res image of the classic MTV logo, presumably for bootleggers.

9. Fueco

Fueco Stylish Dinosaur

nm

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018

10. Craftedpig7

Craftedpig7 Senior Member

Morning.

So I’m selling a pair of Natural shell cordovan loafers that were too tight on me. I have zero feedback on eBay because I haven’t sold in years and needed a new account.

However, a buyer put in an offer for my full asking price that also has zero feedback. A $400 bid with zero feedback has me really nervous. What would some of you more experienced sellers do in this situation?

Thanks

11. Fueco

Fueco Stylish Dinosaur

cwelle62

For you block lists, if you like. This dude claims that I was an inch off on an inseam measurements, and asked for reimbursement of tailoring expenses.

12. Reosymes

Reosymes Distinguished Member

Paypal just ruled it in his favor. He got ALL his money back. And he has a $90 brioni shirt that he didn't return. I submitted all the proof I had, including his ebay messages that literally said he'll return two of the three items that he purchased.

Do I have a chance at an appeal?

13. wumpyfish

wumpyfish Senior Member

International quandary, RRL braces(2$ shipping) with contiguous U.S. only clearly stated__ I have an Italian hi bidder. Are my only two options are to ask him to withdraw his bid or cancel, do the shipping preferences, exclude locations, yada yada and start over?
    Wrinkle is that he has lots of good feedback from U.S. buyers, maybe using a freight forwarder? but I am still liable for the return from Italy just in case he wants to return. Any input? thx

14. Fueco

Fueco Stylish Dinosaur

If his address is in Italy, and you have international shipping excluded, he should not be able to bid.

It is illegal to ship most pre-owned clothing items into Italy, so do check that before shipping if you decide to do so.

If he provides a US address, no worries...

15. drlivingston

drlivingston Distinguished Member

Out of curiosity, why only 48 states? Shipping to AK, HI, and even PR is just as simple as shipping to anywhere else in the US.