• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ExHack

Reaction score

Called eBay yet again (4th call), and the skinny is:
eBay refunded the buyer the full amount of $109.99.  Since I already zeroed-out my PayPal account, they want me to xfer funds back into PayPal.
So, the buyer has the item as well as a refund from eBay, which eBay in turn will extract from me.  If I don't have the funds in PayPal, they will add it to my monthly statement and get it that way.
The eBay rep said when they did away with hassle-free shipping, they also did away with any sort of eBay seller protections or coverage for this sort of issue (I didn't know they did away with hassle-free shipping, since I never used it).
eBay said that the tracking # from the buyer, showing that "something" has been sent to me and delivered, was sufficient proof that they returned the item.
They also said that the photos I uploaded, showing the item that was returned to me was different than what I sold, was not enough proof.  The buyer would have to admit that they sent a different item back, and I have 30 days to somehow trick the buyer into admitting it - and if they did admit it - then the case would be reversed in my favor.  I doubt a buyer who got to keep the item as well as get a refund is gonna admit to it...

So, yep, I got fucked on this one.  The upside is that in my nearly 16 years on eBay, this is the first time it's happened.

Nonetheless, with eBay going to 30-day returns in order to keep TRS, I might just switch to a no return policy on everything.

I'm a quote unquote hobby seller, meaning (to me) that it's a hobby for me that makes a little money. So, I'm content with the 50 free listings a month. They can take their TRS status and stick it. I offer no returns period, although on the very few occasions when I've missed an issue, I cut a refund in minutes, not hours or days.

And I hope John Donahoe has a roaring case of crabs that can't be killed, the son of a *****, may he suffer in his golden-parachuted retirement.

ExHack

Reaction score

How do those who offer returns deal with something like this? I have tried a few approaches in the past. 

Am I the only one that gets the stupid buyers? No returns is probably in my near future due to these things. 

Return on this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/291712130367?ssPageName=STRK:MEREX:IT

And that is why, yes, NO RETURNS UNLESS SNAD, EVER.

On second thought, you absolutely should take the return for one very good reason: this person is too stupid and/or inbred to ever be allowed to wear Brioni.

Last edited:

rhz5001

Reaction score
And that is why, yes, NO RETURNS UNLESS SNAD, EVER.

On second thought, you absolutely should take the return for one very good reason: this person is too stupid and/or inbred to ever be allowed to wear Brioni.

Your volume it isn't bad. I just don't feel like dealing with getting negatives/neutrals removed all the time. Just getting through to a person takes me 30 minutes. I think it would hurt sales slightly too for my format. It still may come down to that though. I just got rid of international shipping a few months ago. Maybe no returns will be next though....

ExHack

Reaction score

Your volume it isn't bad. I just don't feel like dealing with getting negatives/neutrals removed all the time. Just getting through to a person takes me 30 minutes. I think it would hurt sales slightly too for my format. It still may come down to that though. I just got rid of international shipping a few months ago. Maybe no returns will be next though....

Yeah, I'm really a hobby seller with high margins (on the stuff I didn't buy on feeBay once upon a time for myself). I know for some of you poor guys, it's a business. I can't imagine trying to make a living at the whims of feeBay management. I only recently started selling again after an 8-year hiatus. Been lucky so far, but every time I send out something, I hold my breath a bit and brace for a return on something I know was sent out in perfect shape and correctly described.

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You'll see (if you choose to do so) that getting negatives removed cuz you don't accept returns doesn't happen nearly as often as you think. If the buyer messages you and is upset or whatever and mention a negative you can just inform them to go ahead and leave one because 5 minutes after they do, it'll be gone since you don't accept returns. I haven't accepted returns for probably a year now and needless to say, have dealt with countless requests. I've only had to have 2 negatives removed.

Last edited:

FLW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I quit accepting returns over a year ago and it had been the best decision I have ever made. Zero neg feedback, 2-3% attempted return rate, and only 2 returns that I've had to fight it out through ebay.

I think the decision is simple: the only reason to accept returns is if TRS savings are significant enough to matter to you. If not, then forget it.

dukedishin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey @drlivingston I'm curious, do you know how many of your buyers are repeat customers?

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is anyone currently trying to list items and having issues doing so?

Shoeluv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PayPal has that stat - they send me a monthly report stating how many repeat buyers I had, what percent of sales were via mobile, etc.

Is this a business account feature? I think I just have a personal account and have never received one of these.

drlivingston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PayPal has that stat - they send me a monthly report stating how many repeat buyers I had, what percent of sales were via mobile, etc.

Ahhh... I see. Typically, I just delete those posts. I will have to pay attention to the next one that I receive.

dukedishin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, i'd be curious as to your legendary packaging's effect on repeat business.

also, almost typed 'your legendary package's effect'....

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, i'd be curious as to your legendary packaging's effect on repeat business.

also, almost typed 'your legendary package's effect'....

That helps too... There's nothing wrong.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads