• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tweets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was sitting here thinking I bet I've spent 10K on Ebay this year, haven't had a bad experience yet, and I don't think I've ever even paid attention to the sellers feedback or color of star, TRS status etc.etc.etc.

Am I the only who doesn't even bother to check because I know from experiences as a seller that Ebay is always going to protect the buyer and if I don't get something or its not in advertised condition that I will always get my money back anyways?

Just talking out loud, but maybe we put way more emphasis on that type of stuff than buyers do.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think the most helpful guide anyone could write on here would be how to deal with eBay customer service people. There's certain ways to approach them with certain issues which arise. I found out some general tips just by hard knocks, but still manage to acquire some negative/neutral feedback, and had to absorb charges for returns and defects which shouldn't have counted. 

Some things I have learned.

-If a sold item has been dry cleaned or tailored and then returned your not at fault at all. That will count as not same condition. 
-If a buyer threatens negative feedback unless he/she gets something in return that is extortion and you should most likely win
-If a buyer tried to have you break/bend customs tax laws you will win cases
-From my experience anytime a buyer is threatening or abusive things have gone my way
-Add notes in detailed item fields if something has been altered from tagged size (This apparently is held in higher regard to the customer service agents then just providing measurements.. don't ask)

...and yes I know if you read material like buyers protection and other related documents on eBay you will find some of these tidbits out

That's all I have, but I would be curious if others have learned some tricks. If this has been brought up in the past I apologize. We need to stand united against the evil buyers of eBay. 

I don't think I have ever come across an evil buyer. Some returns I thought unwarranted, but no blatant rip-off artists. Yet...I've been selling on and off since 2000 and don't recall any truly nefarious buyers.

I was sitting here thinking I bet I've spent 10K on Ebay this year, haven't had a bad experience yet, and I don't think I've ever even paid attention to the sellers feedback or color of star, TRS status etc.etc.etc.

Am I the only who doesn't even bother to check because I know from experiences as a seller that Ebay is always going to protect the buyer and if I don't get something or its not in advertised condition that I will always get my money back anyways?

Just talking out loud, but maybe we put way more emphasis on that type of stuff than buyers do.

In the end, my buying experiences have been positive...after forcing a couple returns for blatant SNADs. I get pretty aggravated with not getting what I expected based on description, even if I return for a refund. Ain't nobody got time for thet.

Reosymes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think most sellers here don't worry about whether a potential customer would be turned off by feedback and seller status. I personally don't. Once the buyer lands on your item page, your item kind of speaks for itself, and that's where good quality photos/pricing/description helps. The complaint more often than not is ebay itself making it hard on the sellers, by introducing bullshit policies to create more defects, take away discounts, make the sellers lose their hard-earned statuses (thus making it harder for buyers to land on your pages in the first place), and siding against them in most cases.

Quote:
Of course we do. We have to, as sellers. The margin of error to **** up as a buyer is more than the corresponding margin of error as a seller on ebay. I **** up 8 times and I'm barred from selling on ebay. A seller like capnwes stands to lose thousands of dollars in shipping/fvf discounts if he loses his TRS status. So, a TRS status means much much more to him than to his buyers.

Last edited:

Lirum

Reaction score

No, you aren't. I source 95% from ebay now, preying on shittier listings with poor photos knowing that I can force a return if something isn't detailed. I've honestly had to do that (extremely) rarely, and I do not buy maliciously, but I am completely confident in the difficulty for sellers working in my favor as a buyer.

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of course we do. We have to, as sellers. The margin of error to **** up as a buyer is more than the corresponding margin of error as a seller on ebay. I **** up 8 times and I'm barred from selling on ebay. A seller like capnwes stands to lose thousands of dollars in shipping/fvf discounts if he loses his TRS status. So, a TRS status means much much more to him than to his buyers.
Please elaborate

Reosymes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please elaborate

Oh, I meant whatever number of times I need to **** up to get a Below Standard rating, which is 5% or higher defect rate. I have ~115 lifetime transactions as a seller so 6 defects or higher gets me placed in that category, after which it's ban city. High volume sellers obviously have a bigger buffer when it comes to the number of defects.

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, I meant whatever number of times I need to **** up to get a Below Standard rating, which is 5% or higher defect rate. I have ~115 lifetime transactions as a seller so 6 defects or higher gets me placed in that category, after which it's ban city. High volume sellers obviously have a bigger buffer when it comes to the number of defects.
You'd be surprised how quickly that # can jump up. I've said this before, but I am seriously contemplating doing 1 penny auctions/BIN for recipes, or stupid desert instructions to help boost transactions. That way the # of defects will be off set by selling these stupid listings each month. I am not at that point yet, but it wouldn't hurt to start now, as it would take awhile to get enough of those sold to make a dent.

Reosymes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You'd be surprised how quickly that # can jump up. I've said this before, but I am seriously contemplating doing 1 penny auctions/BIN for recipes, or stupid desert instructions to help boost transactions. That way the # of defects will be off set by selling these stupid listings each month. I am not at that point yet, but it wouldn't hurt to start now, as it would take awhile to get enough of those sold to make a dent.
I'm considering ending all listings where the clothing item has a flaw, even when I've clearly photographed and mentioned it in the description. Both of my defects have come from tie sales of ~$20 each. One of the listings had the word 'DAMAGED' in the title. Still got dinged. It's not worth it.

FlorianQC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm considering ending all listings where the clothing item has a flaw, even when I've clearly photographed and mentioned it in the description. Both of my defects have come from tie sales of ~$20 each. One of the listings had the word 'DAMAGED' in the title. Still got dinged. It's not worth it.

Whaaaaaaat? Please elaborate on that too...
patch[1].gif
Buyers opened a case, you won, and got dinged?

Reosymes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whaaaaaaat? Please elaborate on that too...
patch%5B1%5D.gif
Buyers opened a case, you won, and got dinged?

Isaia 7 fold tie with quite a bit of water damage at the bottom. Stated clearly, with pictures. Even said that the staining should be assumed to be permanent, but you can repurpose it as a pocket square if you like. Open my mailbox next week to see the tie returned (I don't take returns) with a strongly worded letter stating that he bought the tie thinking that his drycleaner would be able to work his magic on the tie. Dry cleaner said no mas. Buyer upset, blames me saying that I should've used the word 'dirty' instead of 'stained'. Threatened to open a paypal case (would've preferred the threat in an ebay message rather than a printed document, haha). I'm like, *******, here's your money + return shipping. He leaves me glowing feedback the next day, but gives me 3 stars on 'item as described'. Thanks for the positive feedback, bro.

Last edited:

FlorianQC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isaia 7 fold tie with quite a bit of water damage at the bottom. Stated clearly, with pictures. Even said that the staining should be assumed to be permanent, but you can repurpose it as a pocket square if you like. Open my mailbox next week to see the tie returned (I don't take returns) with a strongly worded letter stating that he bought the tie thinking that his drycleaner would be able to work his magic on the tie. Dry cleaner said no mas. Buyer upset, blames me saying that I should've used the word 'dirty' instead of 'stained'. Threatened to open a paypal case (would've preferred the threat in an ebay message rather than a printed document, haha). I'm like, *******, here's your money + return shipping. He leaves me glowing feedback the next day, but gives me 3 stars on 'item as described'. Thanks for the positive feedback, bro.
omfg... Yeah I read that a while ago, I just didn't see you got 3 stars for that -_- You could have tried to send the printed document to ebay/paypal (if it's valid for them) and if you'd won that would have been okay... but a lot of trouble for such a douchebag :/ tbh I would have tried. No way I would pay for this prick!

tben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, I am sorry if this isn't the right place for this, but I am not really sure where else to go. I have some backlog, and some what I guess you could call "2nd tier items" that I need to get rid of. I know a lot of you buy, sell, trade, consign, whatever, so if you are interested, I have spoilered a list of items that I would like to eliminate to open up storage space for more of my personal stuff. I just can't keep up. Let me know if you are interested. Thank you for considering.

Suits
1-Polo Suit
2-Zegna Taglio Exclusive Suits, Staple but unvented
1-Brioni Suit

SCs
1-Belvest Check DB
1- Boss FU POW
1- Zegna mainline check
1- Belvest Check
1- No name awesome tweed 50's-60's

Pants
1- Loro Piana
1- Zegna Flax
1- Incotex
2- Luciano Barbera
1- Vestimenta

Shirts
1- NWT BBGF Sweater
1- Barbour L/S Polo Hunting Shirt

Shoes
1- Stanley Blacker Benchmade in England
1- USA Made Shell Cordovan
1- Grenson Masterpiece (worn sole)
1- Churchs shortwings (6/10)
1- Royal Tweed by Churchs Shortwings

Coats
1- Canali DB overcoat cashmere blend LP
1- Austin Reed by Cantarelli Raincoat

Accessories
1- Trafalger Braces
Assorted Ties (LB level)

Potential
2- 1950s-60s overcoats (Hickey Freeman/HSM)
1- Corowhatever for Isaia SC
1- NWOT Ted Baker SC

Zacharrrr

Reaction score
hey guys, quick question. I bought a "NWT" cashmere sportscoat RLBL on ebay. It arrived without tags and the edges as well as the fabric do look a little bit rough, definetly not like something thats NWT. However maybe im wrong in this case and would appreciate some feedback on the condition of the item. I also found a hair under the collar.

Thanks a ton.

sparrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No tags = not nwt
If the fabric is rough sounds misrepresented
Open case not as described

Last edited:

Zacharrrr

Reaction score
and whats your impression of the fabric ? are these edges normal for a new cashmere sportscoat ? just so I know in the future

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matchaslimprix