• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buttoning one's jacket - the whys & the wherefores?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Belfaborac
Ah yes, the obligatory "use the search function, n00b!" introductory reply. Most original.

As for "there is little worse than seeing a coat fully buttoned", that is obviously a study in pure subjectivity and as such relevant (and of any interest) only to the holder of that particular opinion. Not to mention that it is entirely dependent on the shape of the wearer of said jacket and the tailoring, or lack of such, of the garment.

I'm aware that there may be no definable origin to be found here, but then again there might be, which is why I asked.

'Search' is there to be used, is instructive and a courtesy to others but seems to be beneath the use of many who are new here these days. Still we must not waste their time.

If you want to go into the psychology of buttoned coats as well as the aesthetic it does portray a wearer who wants to remain in hiding and apart from everyone around hi, whereas unfastened suggests and openness. Fastening one button if outside or whatever or walking a corridor or entering a room in formal surroundings ensures a tidy appearance without undue stress.

The shape of the wearer has no bearing on fastening the jacket and if you are suggesting that it somehow helps a woeful piece of tailoring then that is also wrong. Indeed if the garment is that bad then buttoning all available buttons normally exaggerates the point.

tgt465

Reaction score
I can't add anything to the suggestions as to the origin of the convention, but I would point out that some jackets are designed to have the bottom button buttoned. Both JFK and the Duke of Windsor were known to wear this style, at least on occasion. Such jackets usually have a high button stance, so that the bottom button lies at or above the waistline. I believe buttons have generally moved downwards in modern jackets, making this practice less relevant.

Here are some AAAC threads discussing this, the pictures are enlightening. There is even a picture of the Duke with only the bottom button done (as a "2-roll-1"):
http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...-button-jacket
http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...ons-about-suit

VelvetGreen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Belfaborac
Ah yes, the obligatory "use the search function, n00b!" introductory reply. Most original.

Don't begin by being a prick.

Yours ever,

VG.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cary Grant did it as well:
caryGrantBottomButton.jpg
caryGrantBottomButton2.jpg
3 roll 1:
caryGrantBottomButton3.jpg
Oh, and I wonder how one of those gaudy modern printed abortions of a zig zag patterned tie made it into #2? Unless photos are suggesting that loud and fun tie patterns were worn by some of the guys that inspire all the classic style bits, and that many classic outfits only look as sedate as they do because of B&W, which can't be right....

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bottom button bottom-line: Whatever the "rule" or convention, 98% of the time it just looks bad, makes you look nerdy, and destroys the cut of the jacket and the line of the suit.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
Cary Grant did it as well:
CG also wore panties.
My point being, he was known to flout the fashion guidelines of his day.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads