• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buttero sneakers quality and Buttero customer service

ncroadwarrior2

Reaction score
Hello all!

I'm curious about Buttero as a company. I had a horrible experience with their customer service. Also, the retailer or boutique that sold the sneakers will not stand behind Buttero products. The sneakers are not even one year old and they are splitting at the rear seam.

This is very disappointing considering the price point of Buttero sneakers.

I have contacted the online store and Buttero several times and all I get is basically that this is my fault and there is nothing they will do to make it right. The sneakers have not been abused at all.

Are there any similar experiences out there? I would like every to hear about them and how they were resolved.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I'm curious about Buttero as a company. I had a horrible experience with their customer service. Also, the retailer or boutique that sold the sneakers will not stand behind Buttero products. The sneakers are not even one year old and they are splitting at the rear seam.

This is very disappointing considering the price point of Buttero sneakers.

I have contacted the online store and Buttero several times and all I get is basically that this is my fault and there is nothing they will do to make it right. The sneakers have not been abused at all.

Are there any similar experiences out there? I would like every to hear about them and how they were resolved.
The only negative customer serivce experience I have had with any major retailer was re. Buttero sneakers. The sole was broken. I sent the retailer (Endclothing) pictures, from all of the angles they asked for, and they said that it looked like they could replace them or refund them. I just wanted an exchange. I was experiencing some medical issues at the time, so they had never been worn outside, just inside on carpet and wood floors for a few days.

So, I spent $60 to send the shoes back to End. They then told me that it was my fault, and that I had broken the shoes myself. This is the one time I wish that I'd paid through a cc instead of through Paypal, which essentially asked me to prove that I had NOT broken the shoes. Which is asinine.

Anyway, they offered to send me back the shoes, at my shipping expense. I told them to **** off, and chalked it up to a learning experience. Now, I will only buy from End at a super deep discount, because their guarantees are worth **** anyway, and I don't need to spend an additional $60 just to be called a liar.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also had a pair of butteros where the stitching had obviously broken during the soling process,, and instead of redoing the stitching the factory worker had something stitiched of over the broken stitching (which was fairly obvious, since it was on front side of the sneakers) instead of redoing the stitching or just ditched the sneaker altogether.

Come to think of it, I have only had one issue with Common projects, in which a pair of super thing suede tournaments ripped within about 2 days of light use, where the foot bends and there is stress on the leather, and retailer refunded promptly and quickly. I think that I have had about 8 pair of butteros, and three times the number of Common Projects...

ncroadwarrior2

Reaction score
Very interesting. I don't think I'm going to get anywhere with this issue. The online store I'm referring to here is menlook.com. This is very unfortunate because I actually liked the sneakers.

I also had a pair of butteros where the stitching had obviously broken during the soling process,, and instead of redoing the stitching the factory worker had something stitiched of over the broken stitching (which was fairly obvious, since it was on front side of the sneakers) instead of redoing the stitching or just ditched the sneaker altogether.

Come to think of it, I have only had one issue with Common projects, in which a pair of super thing suede tournaments ripped within about 2 days of light use, where the foot bends and there is stress on the leather, and retailer refunded promptly and quickly. I think that I have had about 8 pair of butteros, and three times the number of Common Projects...

globalroamer

Reaction score
Oh good to know guys. I was considering to buy butteros but now reading your reviews I have reconsidered. Any other brand you would recommend instead of butteros ? I am interested in sneakers

ncroadwarrior2

Reaction score
Buttero was the first high end sneakers that I've tried. I refuse to pay $200 plus for another pair. I do wear a pair of Cole Haan sneakers that I love and never had any issues. My next pair will be Cole Haan. Others will probably suggest Common Projects but that's just to much to spend for me. Even though Cole Haan doesn't get much love....I have never had any issues with any pair of Cole Haan shoes I have....NEVER EVER!

Just my opinion.

ncroadwarrior2

Reaction score
These are the ones I have.

I never wore them during any rigorous activity....just normal walking. I always used a shoe horn to put them on. They insisted that the damage was my fault. I would expect these sneakers to last more than 10 months at this price point and assumed quality.

globalroamer

Reaction score
These are the ones I have.

I never wore them during any rigorous activity....just normal walking. I always used a shoe horn to put them on. They insisted that the damage was my fault. I would expect these sneakers to last more than 10 months at this price point and assumed quality.
Oooh I kind of guessed it would be this kind of shoes.How often did you wear them ? IMHO I am not an expert but this kind of style no matter the price tag is very prone to damage.

ncroadwarrior2

Reaction score
I wore them maybe 10 times. It doesn't matter whether they are prone to damage. At the price point Buttero should stand behind their shoes.

I'm not sure what you mean by prone to damage. Buttero made the sneakers and sold them. There was no disclaimer or warning that they are prone to damage.

Oooh I kind of guessed it would be this kind of shoes.How often did you wear them ? IMHO I am not an expert but this kind of style no matter the price tag is very prone to damage.

pdsf

Reaction score
Sad to hear about all of this. I have two pairs of derbies and one pair of sneakers (the style that looks like CP Achilles, I can't remember the name) and they have lasted very well. I have worn the sneakers a lot. They took a while to break in because of the leather but now they are super comfortable. I live in a relatively rainy part of the country and they definitely have seen rain, mud, grass, etc. Based on the three pairs I have, I always thought they were some of the best-value-for-money shoes. Granted, I bought them more than 4 years ago, so perhaps the new stocks are not as good (like CP I guess!). If that's the case, very sad indeed.

Thanks for sharing your experiences...I was just thinking about getting another pair. Maybe I should think twice.

winston86dit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wore them maybe 10 times. It doesn't matter whether they are prone to damage. At the price point Buttero should stand behind their shoes.

I'm not sure what you mean by prone to damage. Buttero made the sneakers and sold them. There was no disclaimer or warning that they are prone to damage.

Those would be more prone to damage because the raffia material on the upper is not strong at all and you combine that with it being stitched into a small leather binding around the heel and collar of the sneaker and eventually it's going to tear. I do however agree with you that Buttero should stand behind their product. This just seems like Buttero didn't do the proper wear testing and material testing for these and I highly doubt you're the only one to rip that particular sneaker in that way given the lack of structure in the upper and the combined materials. If they had lined it (like they did the vamp) it probably would have lasted a lot longer.

Last edited:

ncroadwarrior2

Reaction score
The real issue is customer service. Yes, the sneakers were a bad pair but Buttero is not standing behind their products nor are the boutiques that sell them. As a consumer of man made products I understand that nothing is perfect.

Sad to hear about all of this. I have two pairs of derbies and one pair of sneakers (the style that looks like CP Achilles, I can't remember the name) and they have lasted very well. I have worn the sneakers a lot. They took a while to break in because of the leather but now they are super comfortable. I live in a relatively rainy part of the country and they definitely have seen rain, mud, grass, etc. Based on the three pairs I have, I always thought they were some of the best-value-for-money shoes. Granted, I bought them more than 4 years ago, so perhaps the new stocks are not as good (like CP I guess!). If that's the case, very sad indeed.

Thanks for sharing your experiences...I was just thinking about getting another pair. Maybe I should think twice.

ncroadwarrior2

Reaction score
Those would be more prone to damage because the raffia material on the upper is not strong at all and you combine that with it being stitched into a small leather binding around the heel and collar of the sneaker and eventually it's going to tear. I do however agree with you that Buttero should stand behind their product. This just seems like Buttero didn't do the proper wear testing and material testing for these and I highly doubt you're the only one to rip that particular sneaker in that way given the lack of structure in the upper and the combined materials. If they had lined it (like they did the vamp) it probably would have lasted a lot longer.
I agree with you 100%. I'm glad you get my point. I'm not bad mouthing the company. I just wanted to get some feedback on experiences with this company and the folks that sell their shoes. The sneaker is very unique and that drew me to it. Unfortunately, it is bad design but we as customers should not be faulted for their poor decision with the design.

At any rate, I don't think I will ever get anything out this but I do appreciate the responses.

winston86dit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been making products for tens of years now and if something like this happened to a pair of shoes that were designed, I'd be taking them back and taking the L. Stuff like this can ruin a customer's trust in a company. It's one of the reasons why bigger brands spend so much money in R&D.

The one thing about buying fashion brands though is they, more often than not, don't put the time and money into R&D because typically it's not worth it. As long as the end result looks good, that's usually good enough to make it to production. They're not in the business of making long lasting product that gets taken over season after season, it's more about newness. Especially when it comes to new materializations.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads