• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bruno Magli buyers beware

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

And one more thing about Maglis. They run the gamut from very nice, well made but very soft shoes down to total crap. If you don't know what you are buying you are probably not well advised to buy this brand.

Ferragamo is another example - They run the gamut from the top of the line Tramezza - which is a great quality shoe down to pretty bad.

Maglis really amaze me. My father lives and dies by them. All of his dress shoes and loafers are Bruno Magli. He's had them forever and they still look great. So I bit a couple years back and bought a pair of loafers out of curiosity. They were not even close to the quality of my AEs or even my Gucci horsebits. They pretty much disintegrated around my feet and I ended up just giving them away because I couldn't justify having someone pay me for them. No idea how a company (really without easily discernible lines for their products) can have such wild swings in quality from shoe to shoe.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

Maglis really amaze me. My father lives and dies by them. All of his dress shoes and loafers are Bruno Magli. He's had them forever and they still look great. So I bit a couple years back and bought a pair of loafers out of curiosity. They were not even close to the quality of my AEs or even my Gucci horsebits. They pretty much disintegrated around my feet and I ended up just giving them away because I couldn't justify having someone pay me for them. No idea how a company (really without easily discernible lines for their products) can have such wild swings in quality from shoe to shoe.

theres a shoe store near my office that sales discounted shoes, they consistently have bruno maglis for $49 a pair.

ZELOUS CONSUMER

Reaction score
stay away from their product like THE PLAGUE

I HAVE BOUGHT THE BRUNO CASUAL SLIP ON LOAFERS FOR OVER 10 YEARS

THE QUALITY HAS SLIPPED. THE LAST PAIR LASTED A LITTLE UNDER 3 MONTHS.

THERE IS NO BRUNO MAGLI CUSTOMER SERVICE IN US. IT IS HANDLED BY SHOEBUY IF YOU DIG HARD.

THE US COMPANY STAFF IS VERY SMALL. THERE IS NO CUSTOMER SERVICE TO SPEAK OF OR ACCOUNTABILITY.

I HAD A SCUFF THAT LITERALLY TORE ALMOST ALL THE WAY THROUGH. THE SHOES THOUGH OLDER(I USED TO BUY THE ASHTONS SEVERAL AT A TIME AND STORE THEM IN THE BOXES IN MY CLOSET( AND THEN USE THEM ONE AT A TIME.

I THINK THEY USE CUSTODIANS FOR CUSTOMER SERVICE. AMAZON/ENDLESS STEPPED IN FOR SOME CUSTOMER SERVICE BRUNO DID NOT CARE. WOULD NOT LOOK AT THE SHOE, WOULD NOT REPAIR IT

AFTER A DECADE AND SPENDING QUITE LITERALLY THOUSANDS ON THEIR SHOES, I AM SWITCHING MEPHISTON, PLINER, EVEN CHEAPER ECCO, CLARK. I WILL FIND ANOTHER SHOE. IT IS A SHAME. THIS SHOE WAS COMFORTABLE.

BUT FOR 334, A SHOE SHOULD LAST MORE THAN 2-3 MONTH. IT SHOULD LAST 2 YEARS.

AMAZINGLY AMIDST ALL THE LIES, ALL THE EVASIVENESS AND UNWILLINGNESS FOR THEM TO LOOK AT THEIR PRODUCT AND SEE IF IT WAS INDEED DEFECTIVE, ONE OF THEIR EMPLOYEES, A MS. GRAZIANO, TOLD ME TO BLOG ABOUT MY EXPERIENCE.

ANOTHER OF THEIR EMPLOYEES SUGGESTED I GOT FAKE/COUNTERFEIT BRUNOS. A THIRD SUGGESTED HAD I NOT GOTTEN MY BRUNOS FROM AMAZON/ENDLESS THEY WOULD HAVE REPAIRED THEM BUT A SENTENCE LATER CONTRADICTED HIMSELF AND SAID THEIR FLAGSHIP STORE IN NYC WAS CLOSED BUT WOULD REOPEN.

NO WONDER WHY BRUNO IS NOT DOING WELL IN THE US. THIS COMPANY DOES NOT KNOW HOW TO HOLD ONTO AND GROW ITS CUSTOMER.

SO LONG BRUNO. Their tie shoes have better longevity.

P.S. I MIGHT TAKE THEM TO SMALL CLAIM FOR KICKS.

Reaction score
Three words for you: Buy. English. Shoes. By that I mean: Loake 1880, Barker, Cheaney’s, Crockett & Jones, Tricker’s. They will last a long time, they can be sent to the factory for sole and heel repairs etc. Steer clear of fashion shoes. I have worked my way through all sorts of shoes which helped me understand and appreciate what makes a good shoe. For instance, paying £560 for a pair by a certain fashion brand is really not getting you the best quality for your money. Heels coming off seems to be an issue with this type of shoe. I assume they’re only meant to last a season. That is a wasteful approach.

Last edited:

Pauper Prince

Reaction score
I purchased a pair of Bruno Magli captoes May 18th, 2011. Three and a half months later, and less than 15 days of wear, the heel came apart. I lost the heel at some point during the day and did not realize it was missing until I arrived home from work and took the shoes off.

I assumed that Bruno Magli would offer a quality shoe for the $425 MSRP and stand behind their product with a warranty against defects in materials and craftsmanship. I have contacted several of the emails listed on their website and have received no response after two weeks.

I finally caved and took the shoes to my local cobbler today. The first thing he said when he saw the Bruno Magli shoes was that these are supposed to be well made. I mentioned that I purchased them in May and he said that I should call or email Bruno Magli. My cobbler is right which is why I am bitter that I have to pay out of pocket to repair a practically new shoe.

Moral of the story is don't expect a quality shoe, warranty service, or customer service from Bruno Magli. Needless to say I will be buying Allen Edmonds Park Ave or Alden Captoes from now on.

Here are some photos were you will notice that all but the last cork layer of the heel came off. Probably a bad glue job?

Many things here.

#1 No maker is above producing occasionally subpar items from time to time. Imperfect men making imperfect products.
#2 These shoes have a great deal of wear on them for a supposed short period if time. I'm thinking of in fact you own these for a period of 15 days, you wore them hard for every one of those 15 days.
#3 These shoes weren't purchased direct from Magli, not from one of there authorized retailers unless you count outlet and liquidation retailers. The markings on the some reflects the markings synonymous with the Rack, and Marshalls.
#4 If you purchased them from a liquidation store, they most likely are factory seconds, or known for a recorded fault.
#5 Expecting comparable quality in a discount show isn't uncommon but is it logical to expect to pay way less for an impeccable product?
#6 You complained to Magli and didn't receive a response is unacceptable.
#7 However makers will not respond favorably to anyone who allegedly comes to them for replacement product, a full retail refund, or a cancel culture type complaint when they can trace where the product was originally purchased from and that it was deeply discounted which would essentially amount to petty fraud.
#8 By obscuring the fact that you bought these at a liquidation store hurts your credibility. As a shoe enthusiast, and more importantly a former men's luxury clothing store owner, folks who attempt to get the most while spending the least while simultaneously attempting to sully a brand happened semi regularly.

The cost of replacing a heel is miniscule and in fact will probably be better than the original anyway unless you get into even higher price brackets for shoe maker

gimpwiz

Reaction score
This thread is from 2011, guy. I think OP figured out his shoe situation by now. Also, I think OP is correct to expect shoes from a well known brand to last more than 15 days, regardless of them being sold through a different retailer or even a discount retailer. Nor would expecting repair or exchange be "petty fraud," though of course if there is expressly no warranty, then all OP has left to do is complain about it to anyone who will listen.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads