• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcase Appreciation thread

TamtuB

Reaction score
Do you prefer normal size or slim size leather briefcases? also, what do you think would be a reasonable price for a briefcase manufactured by artisans in southern Europe and using Vegetable Tanned Italian Leather?

OMEN-Cuoio

Reaction score
Do you prefer normal size or slim size leather briefcases? also, what do you think would be a reasonable price for a briefcase manufactured by artisans in southern Europe and using Vegetable Tanned Italian Leather?
Well, this is really tough question...
Quality of materials are of course a factor (italian veg tanned leather varies like every other country production as far as quality is concerned), but manifacturing can be ENORMOUSLY different from a certain kind of product to another...
Maybe it's easier to compare practical examples of products you're interested in, IMHO...

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone identify this, or give me an approximate age? I found it today at a thift store after months of looking for something I liked in brown leather. The only distinguishing marks I see on it are "A" on all the zipper pulls, and "SV" on the rivets that hold the handle on.

IMG_5193.JPG
IMG_5196.JPG

Fanfare

Reaction score
Can anyone identify this, or give me an approximate age? I found it today at a thift store after months of looking for something I liked in brown leather. The only distinguishing marks I see on it are "A" on all the zipper pulls, and "SV" on the rivets that hold the handle on.

Difficult to say. The lock is off-the-shelf hardware from Amiet, a Swiss locksmith, based on the shape of the keyhole and the bifurcated centre pin. Unfortunately that doesn't necessarily narrow down the timeframe much since Amiet's been manufacturing since 1945.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Difficult to say. The lock is off-the-shelf hardware from Amiet, a Swiss locksmith, based on the shape of the keyhole and the bifurcated centre pin. Unfortunately that doesn't necessarily narrow down the timeframe much since Amiet's been manufacturing since 1945.

Hi Fanfare, welcome to SF! Thanks for that detail. I googled Amiet and see that style of lock and that they made some briefcases. Do you know if they also made zippers. Mine are branded "A" not the ubiquitous "YKK." Do either of these detail pics tell you anything else?

IMG_5262.JPG
IMG_5263.JPG

Fanfare

Reaction score
Hi Fanfare, welcome to SF! Thanks for that detail. I googled Amiet and see that style of lock and that they made some briefcases. Do you know if they also made zippers. Mine are branded "A" not the ubiquitous "YKK." Do either of these detail pics tell you anything else?

Thanks for the welcome! I'm not sure that Amiet ever made briefcases; I've only ever known them as a foundry: primarily simple locks and other hardware for the leather goods industry. They don't make zippers as far as I know.

A lot of briefcases on the web that are labelled Amiet are, I think, confusing the "Amiet" stamp on the lock escutcheon with the case manufacturer.

It's quite unusual for rivet heads to be stamped, and the insignia likely indicates a custom order, perhaps for a department store? Apart from that, I'm afraid that my guess is as good as yours as to what the stampings might mean.

LordCho

Reaction score
Hello!

I’m super interested in the Lotuff Triumph but can’t decide between the I or II sizes. Does anyone have experience with either? Perhaps a photo of it loaded to see how it changes the overall shape.

I’m leaning towards the I because the silhouette just seems better. Colour I’m eyeing is green as well :)

sclemmons

Reaction score
I love the look of the I but my load would fit the II better. If you get the II, it will look better longer. If you overload the I, it will stretch and look like crap compared to the catalog picture. If you don't overload the II, it will collapse to look more like the I over time. If you can swing it, and your load justifies it, get the II. Don't overload the I whatever you do.

Sorry about your wallet.

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

The launch of our next film "The Making of an Equus Attache" launches in 5 mins (16:30 UK time) - come and join us for the launch!

This was shot entirely on 16mm film, and on location in our workshops and the foundry where our fittings are cast. Its taken a lot of work, I hope you'll enjoy it. It documents the making of one of our cedar framed attaches you can see here

trevor3.jpeg

Charlie

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads