• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

breaking in shoes/ Edward green blues

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone advise me on how long it takes to break in Edward green shoes ? I wore my Gladstones a few hours upon first receiving them over a few days, wore to work for a full day then had them stretched to make them more accommodating. Wore to work again, hard on top of my big toes and top of my foot. Wore again last night for only a few hours and same pains. Starting to think I should have spent another 500 and got lobbs for far better fit and honestly much better leather/ easier to shine, etc.

888style

Reaction score
My recipe for new EG's.

1. Wear inside the house for 1-2 hours, or so. Then give feet some rest. Do this for couple of days.
2. When you can do this comfortably, wear them at the office, but not to and from the office. I always bring spare old shoes as back-up, so I can switch halfway during the day.
3. Wear some other shoes the next day or so.
4. Keep this up for couple of weeks, till you can wear them for a whole day.

It takes me at least 3-4 months for them to be broken in. After this they fit like a glove and never give me any problems.

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a lot of effort. I sold my first pair of 888 Last EGs when they were uncomfortable after the first wearing. All of my Aldens and C&Js felt great right out of the box.

intellx

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AnGeLiCbOrIs
Sounds like a lot of effort. I sold my first pair of 888 Last EGs when they were uncomfortable after the first wearing. All of my Aldens and C&Js felt great right out of the box.

Agreed. I realize you're paying for a "quality" product that is supposed to last you for quite some time, but it still shouldn't take months to be able to actually use them. Aldens have been completely comfortable since day 2. First day there was a little room in the back by the heel that would cause my foot to slip out a bit, but after the second day of wear it fits like a glove.

artoftime

Reaction score
I am a standard 12d and have had similar issues with "superior" Lobbs.
Every last is different and it's to your advantage to try something on in store to be sure. Especially at these price points.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
hum, try different last or size? I think it has little to do with Edward Green itself specifically.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Are you buying the right size in EG? did you try to size up?

Taxler

Reaction score

Originally Posted by intellx
Agreed. I realize you're paying for a "quality" product that is supposed to last you for quite some time, but it still shouldn't take months to be able to actually use them. Aldens have been completely comfortable since day 2. First day there was a little room in the back by the heel that would cause my foot to slip out a bit, but after the second day of wear it fits like a glove.

Alden and C&J are fuller and have more height in the toe box than EG. The downside to that is they tend to look sloppier than a trimmed down shoe like EG. Not everyone is tolerable of a closely fitted shoe, so you need to go with what's most comfortable, and disregard the asthetics. If your're willing to go the MTM route, EG will modify a last to add more room in the toes.

Isn't the Gladstone a cap toe shoe? If it is, they're least likely to stretch in the toe area where you have 2 overlapping pieces of leather.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by intellx

um, how do you make extra space in the back of the heel disappear?!

MarquisMagic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The_Foxx
Can someone advise me on how long it takes to break in Edward green shoes ? I wore my Gladstones a few hours upon first receiving them over a few days, wore to work for a full day then had them stretched to make them more accommodating. Wore to work again, hard on top of my big toes and top of my foot. Wore again last night for only a few hours and same pains. Starting to think I should have spent another 500 and got lobbs for far better fit and honestly much better leather/ easier to shine, etc.

It's not the company..it's the last and the fit. This idea that someone is a particular generic size absurd. Each person's foot is shaped different. Each manufacture constructs its shoes differently, sizes them differently and each last fits each person differently. While Edward Green shoes are meant to be more snug than other makes, they should fit you well right out of the box. If they don't, you are not wearing the proper size or the last is not suited to the specifics of your foot. While JLs may indeed fit you better, anecdotal evidence suggests that more people can get an appropriate fit with EGs than with JLs!

withstyle

Reaction score
the last really makes a difference. I have two pairs of lobbs in the same 8UK size - jermyn 2 (7000 last) and chapel (8000 last). the 8000 last fits better. in eg, I have two pairs in the 9/9.5 size. the 82 last fits me better than the 89 last. anyways... my two cents.

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just because they are EGs, they aren't magically going to fit your feet properly. You have to choose a proper last that is the best for your feet as with any other maker. From what you describe, it seems that the last does not fit you at all ... I suggest selling the shoes on B&S and recover what you spent, and try a different last.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
um, how do you make extra space in the back of the heel disappear?!

I think he was probably referring to the bit of heel slippage that is common with a new shoe that has not yet been broken in. When a stiff sole on a new shoe doesn't yet flex, the heel has nowhere to go but up when you step, i.e. slippage. Once the sole breaks in and bends, the heel of your foot and heel of the shoe will move in tandem, meaning no more slippage.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
all good comments-- i guess I'm not sure if i should continue to wear these and hope they form to my feet better, or sell them for half of what i paid for them. I bought size 10E, which I figured should fit me well (I wear a size 10.5 US or 9.5E Lobbs in most any lasts comfortably). I also have a high instep, which doesn't help.

888style, feel like i have somewhat followed your recipe for success-- wore them around the house for an hour or two a few times before taking them out for a spin.

Again, I didn't have to do this at ALL with any of my lobbs (I did the 'round the house' thing a few times, but experienced no discomfort), and they do accomodate my higher instep better. I still don't believe that the leather even comes close to any of my lobbs, tho.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads