• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brands that represent quality above all else

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJmanbearpig
At the closing of the Paris store I bought my father, a frequent traveler, some leather luggage tags.

You really go all out.

Go to Paris and go bespoke. They can make just about anything, such as the late RJman's collar.

Remind me...it goes all the way around the head, right?

671px-Cat_with_Elizabethan_collar.jpg

Goosnargh.

+1.

- B

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
You missed Longhi for leather goods, particularly belts. But I suppose they are semi-defunct now, too.

Longhi is semi-defunct? I have a Longhi belt which is nice, how do I tell if it is a tubo?

Seraphin leather jackets, too, I forgot.

Originally Posted by voxsartoria
You really go all out.
I deserved that.

Remind me...it goes all the way around the head, right?
The late RJ cat had to wear one at one point. I thought it was very funny that the vet called it an "Elizabethan collar". I don't think Shakespeare's cat wore one when old Will penned, "Thrice the brinded cat hath mewed!!!!" And Shakespeare was married to Anne Hathaway. The Bard FTW!!!!

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoefan

Quite a few in the world of wine: Domaine La Romanee Conti; Y'quem; Krug; Salon Mesnil, among others.

There's a lot of wine out there that this could be said for. Unfortunately, many wont reach the borders of the US, or when they do it's in incredibly small quantity. There are many small wineries in Montalcino or in Piedmont (Barolo and Barbaresco, and I've even had some incredible dolcetto), and Amarone that are just fantastic, but are made in such small quantities (yay for low yield!).

Some bigger names that I'd add: Seghisio, Gaja, Chateau Guiraud (their '03 Sauternes is just spectacular), Chateau Pontet-Canet (since 1997-ish, they've produced incredible wine), Le Pin, Ausone, Petrus (overpriced, however), and Cheval Blanc.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
All Clad is awesome. Mauviel is also great if you want to pay for copper.

I'd all so ad Le Creuset (the French line) and Shun knives.

Also on my list:

Herman-Miller
Charvet
Alden

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with the Iron Heart jeans mention.

I never thought you were a SW&D kinda guy. What's next, Loopwheeler hoodie?

jsherman02

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LVoer
Apple Computer.

The feel, look and quality of the products is excellent. I also give them credit for their innovative nature and ability to do so much with so little (space, buttons, etc.). Just look at the new MacBook, the case is machined from a solid piece from aluminum so its stronger, and lighter because less screws are needed to hold it all together.

^ form yes, function...not all the time. Quality of parts has gone down over the years.

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
I never thought you were a SW&D kinda guy. What's next, Loopwheeler hoodie?

I have a lot of respect for the SW&D forum. You know, you grow.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Longhi is semi-defunct? I have a Longhi belt which is nice, how do I tell if it is a tubo?

Zegna bought them a few years ago. If the belt is a tubo belt, it will be one big piece of leather that has been sewn into a tube, and then flattened. There will be no backing. The back of the belt will be the same leather facing as the front, but with a hand-stitched seam along its entire length.

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Zegna bought them a few years ago. If the belt is a tubo belt, it will be one big piece of leather that has been sewn into a tube, and then flattened. There will be no backing. The back of the belt will be the same leather facing as the front, but with a hand-stitched seam along its entire length.
My Longhi belt has no backing and has the same leather facing on both sides, but I don't think it has a seam either. It was made for iammatt's favorite store, Barrington Wellsford.

EDIT: Chester Barrie used to represent high quality. Not sure what direction is will take now that Lutwyche owns the production facility and some Japanese company owns the brand (and has launched a cheaper licensed line, "CHester", that is junk).

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
As noted earlier, Hermès is not on the pedestal it once was, but for some of their goods, I think they do exemplify something interesting about not compromising.

Can we name brands or producers who simply raise prices rather than changing how they produce things?

I'll start: Kabbaz appears to raise prices at will.

- B

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My Longhi belt has no backing and has the same leather facing on both sides, but I don't think it has a seam either. It was made for iammatt's favorite store, Barrington Wellsford.

Well, it's gotta be sewn somewhere, right? Unless, of course, your belt is made from a stretch of flattened cow intestine.

shoefan

Reaction score
Shun brand knives are not by any means the top of the ladder, nor does the company (Kai/Kershaw) really fit into the category of uncompromising, IMO.

For better (in some cases FAR better) knives, check out: Watanabe, Shigefusa, Aritsuga, Ittosai, Mizuno Tanrenjo, Hattori, Nenox/Nenohi, Masamoto, Masahiro, among others.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Well, it's gotta be sewn somewhere, right? Unless, of course, your belt is made from a stretch of flattened cow intestine.

Close. Zebra cock.

-B

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoefan
Shun brand knives are not by any means the top of the ladder, nor does the company (Kai/Kershaw) really fit into the category of uncompromising, IMO.

For better (in some cases FAR better) knives, check out: Watanabe, Shigefusa, Aritsuga, Ittosai, Mizuno Tanrenjo, Hattori, Nenox/Nenohi, Masamoto, Masahiro, among others.

I didn't say they were top of the ladder. I said the quality was very high.

They are, in any event, quite good enough for me, and much better than my German knives.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

They used to be uncompromising in their house label stuff. It was generally St. Andrews and various high quality knitwear makers. Sadly, those days are gone.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads