• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brands that represent quality above all else

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
As noted earlier, Hermès is not on the pedestal it once was, but for some of their goods, I think they do exemplify something interesting about not compromising.

Can we name brands or producers who simply raise prices rather than changing how they produce things?

I'll start: Kabbaz appears to raise prices at will.

- B

Charvet raised their bespoke prices about 30 euros a year. Drove me up the damn wall.

SAB now wants something more than twice as much as I paid in 2002 for my briefcase. I still have mixed feelings about it, although it's not had an easy life. I think my umbrella is about 30% more, too. My golf umbrella is more than three times as much, but I bought it almost 15 years ago.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As noted earlier, Hermès is not on the pedestal it once was, but for some of their goods, I think they do exemplify something interesting about not compromising.

The silk scarves for women are fantastic. The number of colors and the complexity of each design is extraordinary when compared to what else is out there. At Rubinacci, they praised Hermes for using 18-22 dye colors per scarf (of course, they also added that they use up to 24 dyes themselves).

Can we name brands or producers who simply raise prices rather than changing how they produce things?

Hermes. Louis Vuitton. Almost every single high-end fashion label.

Is Kabbaz really a 'brand'? I guess he is. But his labels are sinfully ugly; the logo looks like it belongs on an air conditioning unit. 'A. Kabbaz' or 'Alexander Kabbaz' in a simple type face on a white label would look much nicer.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Close. Zebra cock.

A striped belt to go with one of those Paul Stuart ties?

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoefan
Shun brand knives are not by any means the top of the ladder, nor does the company (Kai/Kershaw) really fit into the category of uncompromising, IMO.

For better (in some cases FAR better) knives, check out: Watanabe, Shigefusa, Aritsuga, Ittosai, Mizuno Tanrenjo, Hattori, Nenox/Nenohi, Masamoto, Masahiro, among others.

I think it is Aritsugu not Aritsuga
Aritsugu is very good, they have two different indenpent branchs, kyoto and tokyo. Both are very good, but I think Kyoto Aritsugu is better.

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Charvet: high quality but they didn't use the new slim body pattern on the shirt that I ordered through BG so they have to make it again
frown.gif
(the fabric was so soft and smooth now I have to wait more). The prices in the US are a little high now.

Hermes: Image and quality post-JLD is definitely seems to be going down hill, but prices keep going up. I wish I knew someplace else that had the same quality leathers (particularly box calf) and silk; maybe April in Paris for leather goods?

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoefan
How about the French Laundry -- Thomas Keller seems to go to incredible lengths to deliver world class cuisine. Also, Il Bulli. I guess it's easier when your 'brand' is simply one venue.

Quite a few in the world of wine: Domaine La Romanee Conti; Y'quem; Krug; Salon Mesnil, among others.

Definitely Chateau d'Yquem. I would consider them the greatest, most consistent wine in the world. Also, I see where you are coming from with the wines, but it's interesting to note that a considerable part of their consistency has nothing to do with humans.

Just my opinion, but I would replace Krug with Bollinger, considering that they are still privately owned and have no desire to increase production because of the way they age and store their champagnes.

jsherman02

Reaction score

- B

Pantherella socks, Zegna anything, Ferragamo, AE and so many more.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
HORNS;1455770 said:
Definitely Chateau d'Yquem. I would consider them the greatest, most consistent wine in the world. Also, I see where you are coming from with the wines, but it's interesting to note that a considerable part of their consistency has nothing to do with humans.

QUOTE]

Yes, part of the consistency of many wines is out of the hands of humans. But look again at d'Yquem - their 2006 is stellar in a lackluster vintage. They took the time to pick only the grapes that would produce wine up to their standard. I don't have production quotas on me, but I'd be willing to bet they vary their case production from year to year as they alter yield. An exception for d'Yquem may be their '93 that seemed rushed to just make something and it wasn't up to their usual standards.

Many producers will produce wines that can vary heavily from year to year - but the best will take the time and effort to ensure a fantastic wine. Bordeaux is much less terroire based than Burgundy, yet there are always producers that will make a fantastic wine regardless of the vintage (with the washout exceptions). The 1997 Ausone may be another example, I'd argue it's the best wine out of a horrible year for St. Emillion - yet Ausone is always one of the best wines from the right bank.

mockingboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tlmusic
Also, if quality but not taste, is the issue, then I would vote for Hermes. In other words, even though Hermes makes things which I find of questionable taste, I have never seen any of their products that compromised quality.

Wrong

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tidybeard
Liverpool Football Club (the best quality of football played by the highest quality players with the best pedigree of any team.....:)

Quality of football? Liverpool?
snork[1].gif

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Leatherman.

I don't know about some of their more complicated, more highly(over?) engineered recent stuff, but the Super Tool 200 I got six or seven years ago is the single most reliable, useful possession I have.

Zippo.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads