• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bottarga

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Anyone have any good recipes for Bottarga? We came back from Italy with two jars (this is the loose kind, not the whole sacs encased in wax). I know of the classic Sardinian pasta dish, which is why we got it, but a good recipe for that would still be helpful. My wife added some to scrambled eggs for a quick dinner one night which was good in a weird way and got me thinking that there must be lots of other uses.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a wonderful dish of fresh chitarra with shrimp, lemon zest, and a sprinkling of bottarga last week. Have you found bottarga for sale in reasonable amounts at an American shop? I've only seen large slabs.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I had a wonderful dish of fresh chitarra with shrimp, lemon zest, and a sprinkling of bottarga last week. Have you found bottarga for sale in reasonable amounts at an American shop? I've only seen large slabs.

I haven't really looked in the U.S. other than casually and unsuccessfully. What we bought in Italy was jarred and kosher certified (and as I mentioned, the eggs are loose rather than pressed together (though they are clumpy). I would not try to bring a large slab through customs.

Last edited:

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I haven't really looked in the U.S. other than casually and unsuccessfully. What we bought in Italy was jarred and kosher certified (and as I mentioned, the eggs are loose rather than pressed together (though they are clumpy). I would not try to bring a large slab through customs.

are they actual eggs, are is this the pre-grated bottarga? since the sacs are dried intact, i have a hard time picturing the individual eggs ... that said, the pre-grated is good stuff as long as you use it quickly and really convenient (grating bottarga can be like grating mahogany). the typical dish is spaghetti with garlic and olive oil and parsley, lots of bottarga sprinkled over top. but it makes a good garnish for other slightly bland foods (it's mainly a kind of sea/salty flavor).

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

are they actual eggs, are is this the pre-grated bottarga? since the sacs are dried intact, i have a hard time picturing the individual eggs ... that said, the pre-grated is good stuff as long as you use it quickly and really convenient (grating bottarga can be like grating mahogany). the typical dish is spaghetti with garlic and olive oil and parsley, lots of bottarga sprinkled over top. but it makes a good garnish for other slightly bland foods (it's mainly a kind of sea/salty flavor).

They are individual eggs. It does not look like shavings. I have had both kinds served to me in Rome.
I also had it served with halved cherry tomatoes recently. That seemed an odd addition to me, but it is consistent with one recipe I have seen once I started looking for them.

Last edited:

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always eaten it with that Sardinian flatbread (pane carasau). Those water crackers (or whatever they're called) are probably a decent substitute. For what it's worth I've never seen Sardos do anything else with it, but this has always been outside of Sardinia and at picnics and such.

I'd imagine it's good on most pasta/bread. Scrambled eggs sounds really weird.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I've always eaten it with that Sardinian flatbread (pane carasau). Those water crackers (or whatever they're called) are probably a decent substitute. For what it's worth I've never seen Sardos do anything else with it, but this has always been outside of Sardinia and at picnics and such.
I'd imagine it's good on most pasta/bread. Scrambled eggs sounds really weird.

Foodguy described the classic recipe and that is how I have had it served to me many times in Rome and in the one place I found it in NY (a second promised they would have it, but they never do) - once with the cherry tomatoes.
Plain on crackers seems normal - it is basically just fish eggs. With scrambled eggs isn't that different than lox and eggs or caviar and eggs. It is just a way to add salt and a little brininess to an otherwise flat, round flavor.
I will say, though, that the classic recipe strikes me as perfect and that it obviously got to be a classic for a reason. I was hoping there is another classic use or two that I just didn't know about.
I will finally get to try making it Sunday night.

Edit: Mario Battali's version is the classic (note that you can follow the link to more about his restaurant version, which is slightly different).

Here is another version that might be good, but seems a little over-egged compared to the classic. After I do the first one a few times I might try this one.

Last edited:

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
and i'll endorse gustiamo as a really good source of italian products. if you don't live someplace with a great italian deli, this is your best bet for most products.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
damn, now you're expecting me to research my jokes? what's next, spell-check?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads