• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boardwalk Empire

MumRaww

Reaction score
Like it

However I don't like that Jimmy keeps telling Nucky that he's seen *********** war but I don't think it reflects that much on his actions overall (even considering the roadside robbings).

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like it so far, will continue to watch.

In the scene where the man and the 19yr old girl are being pushed down the boardwalk on that cart - the guy pushing them had a cream colored sweater on with a tie under, the sweater was really nice.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
I like it so far, will continue to watch.

In the scene where the man and the 19yr old girl are being pushed down the boardwalk on that cart - the guy pushing them had a cream colored sweater on with a tie under, the sweater was really nice.

I saw that sweater and pointed out that I really liked it; normally this would be fine as my gf would agree, however it was my roommate I was watching it with. He looked at me like I was some kind of weirdo...Later on in the episode he pointed out a cardigan Jimmy was wearing that he thought was interesting...We lol'd.

This episode was a bit slow as well, however you can feel everything building up big time. Nucky vs Rothstein will be a big battle. Based on the previews, the next episode should have much more action.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
buscemi is just too sickly looking to be scary.

i'm undecided on whether i like the deadwoodpranos thus far.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Omar gets in next epi. Looking to see if he can pull off another character.

Nucky gave Jimmy a lesson that might make Jimmy bitter and will come back to haunt Nucky.

tomgirl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
I saw that sweater and pointed out that I really liked it; normally this would be fine as my gf would agree, however it was my roommate I was watching it with. He looked at me like I was some kind of weirdo...Later on in the episode he pointed out a cardigan Jimmy was wearing that he thought was interesting...We lol'd.

This episode was a bit slow as well, however you can feel everything building up big time. Nucky vs Rothstein will be a big battle. Based on the previews, the next episode should have much more action.

Yea...I was going to complain in this thread about how slow-moving that episode was, but I guess it was kind of necessary to set up further plot development. That being said, the predictable domestic frustrations in Jimmy's situation, as well as the Scottish chick from Trainspotting's (forget her name in the show) constant piety and shyness are already getting on my nerves. I get that she's supposed to be sweet-natured and innocent in regards the vices of Atlantic City, but she'd better transform relatively quickly or her constant "Oh no Mr. Thompson...please don't help me..." pleas are going to get old quick.

downwithianbrown

Reaction score
I think it's going ok so far. Could have been better, but they started out with a ton of characters, too many imo for a first episode.

I think whoever said it was right, so far Buscemi has been able to be successful because of his personality and a kind of freindly abuse of the law. But prohibition has brought the real wolves out and he isnt sure if he can hack it. How he chose to beat up the irish chicks husband instead of enforcing on the gangster who was clearly stealing money from him.

Last nights episode was slow, in fact, so slow I don't even remember what happened really. I hate the prohibition officer character, but it should be interesting to see where his obsession with the irish chick goes and what he can uncover.

I thought that Michael Pitt took the deal and ratted out the distillery cus of the asshole who gave him the turpentine or whatever to drink. he knew that the roads would be clear for him to run his heist. and they showed both scenes happening to keep you in suspense.

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Main thing I don't like about it is that it seems like they're trying to do too much at once. I mean you've got like four or five different stories happening in Atlantic City, plus stuff happening in Chicago and New York. When you only spend a few minutes on each plot thread, nothing really has a chance to sink in.

downwithianbrown

Reaction score
yeah. there's way too much going on. second episode seemed kind of lame. Michael Pitt owes Buscemi an extra 3k and instead of killing some one or pulling off a heist, he just steals back a necklace he bought for his mistress.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by downwithianbrown
yeah. there's way too much going on. second episode seemed kind of lame. Michael Pitt owes Buscemi an extra 3k and instead of killing some one or pulling off a heist, he just steals back a necklace he bought for his mistress.

Pretty sure that was his mom. I think it also hints to how her old necklace disappeared.

Hayato

Reaction score
It might sound crazy but I noticed a drop-off even between the pilot which was directed by Scorsese and last weeks episode. I agree that the show may be doing to much at once, to the point where it's almost hard to follow. When a show like this becomes so convoluted, it's hard to feel the "punch" from the supposed impact of the minor plot twists.

The show has a lot of promise but it's going to have to beat really start branching off in a way that it doesn't become "The Sopranos" during the Prohibition. So far I've liked Buscemi, but I don't know how I really feel about him in a lead role. Personally I always felt his acting style and the characters he plays works better opposite the hero protagonist. I can see that Winter is trying create that dynamic between Jimmy and "Nucky", but we're not standing behind Jimmy just yet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads