1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Boardwalk Empire

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Jekyll, Aug 8, 2010.

1. tomgirl

tomgirl Senior member

I saw that sweater and pointed out that I really liked it; normally this would be fine as my gf would agree, however it was my roommate I was watching it with. He looked at me like I was some kind of weirdo...Later on in the episode he pointed out a cardigan Jimmy was wearing that he thought was interesting...We lol'd.

This episode was a bit slow as well, however you can feel everything building up big time. Nucky vs Rothstein will be a big battle. Based on the previews, the next episode should have much more action.

Yea...I was going to complain in this thread about how slow-moving that episode was, but I guess it was kind of necessary to set up further plot development. That being said, the predictable domestic frustrations in Jimmy's situation, as well as the Scottish chick from Trainspotting's (forget her name in the show) constant piety and shyness are already getting on my nerves. I get that she's supposed to be sweet-natured and innocent in regards the vices of Atlantic City, but she'd better transform relatively quickly or her constant "Oh no Mr. Thompson...please don't help me..." pleas are going to get old quick.

2. downwithianbrown

downwithianbrown Senior member

I think it's going ok so far. Could have been better, but they started out with a ton of characters, too many imo for a first episode.

I think whoever said it was right, so far Buscemi has been able to be successful because of his personality and a kind of freindly abuse of the law. But prohibition has brought the real wolves out and he isnt sure if he can hack it. How he chose to beat up the irish chicks husband instead of enforcing on the gangster who was clearly stealing money from him.

Last nights episode was slow, in fact, so slow I don't even remember what happened really. I hate the prohibition officer character, but it should be interesting to see where his obsession with the irish chick goes and what he can uncover.

I thought that Michael Pitt took the deal and ratted out the distillery cus of the asshole who gave him the turpentine or whatever to drink. he knew that the roads would be clear for him to run his heist. and they showed both scenes happening to keep you in suspense.

3. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

I'm enjoying it alot, though it pains me to make Rubicon wait a day.

4. Jekyll

Jekyll Senior member

Main thing I don't like about it is that it seems like they're trying to do too much at once. I mean you've got like four or five different stories happening in Atlantic City, plus stuff happening in Chicago and New York. When you only spend a few minutes on each plot thread, nothing really has a chance to sink in.

5. downwithianbrown

downwithianbrown Senior member

yeah. there's way too much going on. second episode seemed kind of lame. Michael Pitt owes Buscemi an extra 3k and instead of killing some one or pulling off a heist, he just steals back a necklace he bought for his mistress.

6. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

yeah. there's way too much going on. second episode seemed kind of lame. Michael Pitt owes Buscemi an extra 3k and instead of killing some one or pulling off a heist, he just steals back a necklace he bought for his mistress.

Pretty sure that was his mom. I think it also hints to how her old necklace disappeared.

7. Jekyll

Jekyll Senior member

^ It was his mom. That scene creeped me the fuck out.

8. BossTweed

BossTweed Senior member

I think it also hints to how her old necklace disappeared.

Didn't he say she sold it to help raise him?

9. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

Didn't he say she sold it to help raise him?

Woops, I guess I was only half paying attention lol.

10. Hayato

Hayato Well-Known Member

It might sound crazy but I noticed a drop-off even between the pilot which was directed by Scorsese and last weeks episode. I agree that the show may be doing to much at once, to the point where it's almost hard to follow. When a show like this becomes so convoluted, it's hard to feel the "punch" from the supposed impact of the minor plot twists.

The show has a lot of promise but it's going to have to beat really start branching off in a way that it doesn't become "The Sopranos" during the Prohibition. So far I've liked Buscemi, but I don't know how I really feel about him in a lead role. Personally I always felt his acting style and the characters he plays works better opposite the hero protagonist. I can see that Winter is trying create that dynamic between Jimmy and "Nucky", but we're not standing behind Jimmy just yet.

11. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

^ It was his mom. That scene creeped me the fuck out.

Yes, the reveal that it was his mother was...uncomfortable.

12. frenchy

frenchy Senior member

Omar gets in next epi. Looking to see if he can pull off another character.

Nucky gave Jimmy a lesson that might make Jimmy bitter and will come back to haunt Nucky.

Omar is in this months GQ by the way...check out this Tom Ford suit daaaaaaaaaaaamn

http://www.gq.com/style/suit-guide/2...e-suit#slide=4

13. delakingois

delakingois Senior member

Yes, the reveal that it was his mother was...uncomfortable.

Are you sure? Because I think one of the girls also called her "Ma", which would indicate that it's her nickname.

Otherwise, ewwwwwww.

14. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

Didn't get that, either... if it's his mom, why did she have no news of him in the war, when his wife and child live nearby? If there's a reason his mother and his wife wouldn't be in contact about him, I didn't get it.

Also lol at deadwoodpranos. I liked Deadwood.

15. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

It's his mom (or maybe big sister). His wife and son didn't hear from him for two years during the war.

She looks way to young to be his mom though.

16. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Didn't get that, either... if it's his mom, why did she have no news of him in the war, when his wife and child live nearby? If there's a reason his mother and his wife wouldn't be in contact about him, I didn't get it. Also lol at deadwoodpranos. I liked Deadwood.
    His wife(finance actually) didn't hear from him during the war either.

17. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

She looks way to young to be his mom though.
    Back in these days, having a kid at 14 or 15 was not too uncommon. Which reminds me that I used to have a friend in middle school whose mom was 26 (14 year difference with her daughter). It was a bit odd then but must be seriously odd now, they must feel fairly close in age.

18. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

I dunno it doesn't make total sense to me yet. Even if no one had heard from Jimmy, he's back in the country for over a month and doesn't say hi to his mom? His mom and wife/kid don't talk over that period, even though they live in the same town?

I know we don't know much about his parents yet. And I know I'm projecting modern relationships on a very different time. But if the showgirl lady = his mom, I don't think they did a good enough job of explaining that. I don't mind ambiguity, but that just seems lazy.

19. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

"what's a mother fucker?"

I'm glad they called that out because I remember thinking the term sounded a little out of place. According to Nucky, it was.

20. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

But if the showgirl lady = his mom, I don't think they did a good enough job of explaining that. I don't mind ambiguity, but that just seems lazy.
    It seems they're purposedly letting this one drag ambiguously. Based on the body language and implied statements, I wouldn't be surprised if Nucky was the dad.