Boardwalk Empire

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Jekyll, Aug 8, 2010.

1. suited

suited Senior member

I caught the second half later on. I enjoyed it, looking forward to the next.

2. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

The opening, when Nucky walks out onto the beach in spectators made me think of StyleForvm.

lol I had the same thought.

Overall, the first episode seemed a little slow to me, although there were a couple moments with some good action and I think they did a good job of setting up things for at least the next few episodes.

3. boogaboogabooga

boogaboogabooga Senior member

lol I had the same thought.

Overall, the first episode seemed a little slow to me, although there were a couple moments with some good action and I think they did a good job of setting up things for at least the next few episodes.

This is generally how the majority of HBO shows work. They are ensemble pieces, so it makes sense to establish a firm beginning for all the characters in order to have a clear comparative arc throughout.

4. brlfvr

brlfvr Senior member

I agree with this. I think it shows enough potential(actors, writing etc..). Hate the opening music. Who is that?

5. sunror

sunror Senior member

decent episode is buscemi's girlfriend gretchen mol

6. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

Nucky's assistant is fuckin hilarious...I hope he sticks around. "I heard screaming (Italian Accent)"

7. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Lifestyle change - no homo

While I understand the need for it, the episode was very slow. I was very excited for the show, but after the first episode my excitement has been moderated a bit.

I thought they got overly enamoured with set details and costuming to the point where it all seemed a bit overproduced and underwritten. I'm not writing the show off yet at all. I still think it has enormous potential. However, there was very little in the first episode to give me hope that this was going to be the next Sopranos.

Will be very interested to see how things develop over the next few episodes.

8. Jekyll

Jekyll Senior member

9. Brogued

Brogued Senior member

I don't know why they changed Buscemi's character's name from "Enoch Johnson" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enoch_Johnson) to "Enoch Thompson". The actual historical guy was only in his late 30s when the events supposedly depicted in the series took place but maybe having an older actor portray him emphasizes his gravitas.

Name change=artistic license freedom.

10. boogaboogabooga

boogaboogabooga Senior member

Was I the only one who was totally confused by the hijacking/raid scene?

I'm guessing what prompted Jimmy to do something so ridiculous was Nucky telling him that this is America, go find an opportunity. He was unaware Nucky had his hands in the deal, if I'm not mistaken. I'm also guessing Jimmy found out about the contraband from Capone. Is this what you were confused about?

11. tomgirl

tomgirl Senior member

I agree with this. I think it shows enough potential(actors, writing etc..). Hate the opening music. Who is that?

The music in general (while I understand it being necessary) kept annoying the hell out of me.

12. Jekyll

Jekyll Senior member

I'm guessing what prompted Jimmy to do something so ridiculous was Nucky telling him that this is America, go find an opportunity. He was unaware Nucky had his hands in the deal, if I'm not mistaken. I'm also guessing Jimmy found out about the contraband from Capone. Is this what you were confused about?

I just couldn't figure out what the hell was actually happening. I think I was confused by the crosscutting between the feds raiding the funeral home and Jimmy hijacking the liquor. I initially thought the feds were in the woods by the road where the hijacking was taking place. I also wasn't sure if Jimmy ended up working with the feds or not. Watching this episode half asleep was probably not a good idea.

13. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

like it overall but buscemi's acting is like an SNL gangster skit

14. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

I like Buschemi in it.

15. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Great first episode and really set things up for some long term interest.