• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black shirt: trying too hard?

GreyFlannelMan

Reaction score
You should go with a black tie with the black shirt, for that Regis Philbin, Who Wants to be a Millionaire look.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I was just thinking just yesterday that the trouble with black is that it's so obvious. Guys who don't feel comfortable dressing nicely seem to automatically reach for it. It's the Kenneth Cole shoes of the colorwheel.

I've got no trouble with black at a club. But when I see it in the daytime, I nearly always think that the guy looks like he's trying too hard. Or has no idea how else to dress. Can't clash with black, after all.

Personally, I avoid both black suits and black shirts. I'd avoid black shirts if for no other reason than they show wear so quickly. I made the mistake of buying a black polo on sale last summer and wore it once. Loved the cut but a single wash turned the edges dingy gray.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
agree with doc it is definatly a club - going out shirt and definatly without a tie but i would mix it up with maybe white jeans and a grey suit jkt and then have fun with your pocket square maybe a red or pink!

Zubberah

Reaction score
You guys are so boring. I have many black shirts (mostly casual) including a Sea Island french cuff business shirt from Charles tyrrwhitt that I wear with light coloured suits (gray, olive, tan, etc) with a tie no less. And I am in the conservative field of banking. And have had nothing but compliments. I often wonder about some of you ...
crackup[1].gif

mattjames

Reaction score
I find any sort of hate for the black shirt puzzling. It's just such a simple colour that you can't go wrong with, there is absolutely no reason why you can't have a black shirt in rotation.
I have a nice, slim-fit black shirt with concealed button closure that I enjoy wearing.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A banker with a tan suit, black shirt and tie? ummm... what "conservative field of banking" are you in? the one where you're locked in a basement room and never put in front of a client?
alien.gif

Zubberah

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
A banker with a tan suit, black shirt and tie? ummm... what "conservative field of banking" are you in? the one where you're locked in a basement room and never put in front of a client?
alien.gif

Corporate and Institutional banking - clients with turnover in excess of US$500m - all the large conglomerates like Louis Vuitton Moet Hennessy, Constellation Brands, Diageo etc....in originations team (involving M&A, CF advisory, acquisition financing, etc). But then I am well known for my fashion and clothing expertise. I spent many years in stockbroking also as an equities analyst. My job will NOT dictate to me what I should wear. Ever.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
It would be hell if I had to dress like other bankers/brokers: boring white shirts, boring blue shirts, boring striped ties, broing suits, chinos/polos on casual Fridays. Ew. Never!

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All this sounds very very unlikely... to be polite

jett

Reaction score
I think a black shirt looks good, but with a suit it seems like it would be very hard to pull off in a non-nightlife situation. Maybe at a funeral...

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of black shirts at all for dress wear.
Once a salesperson at a local haberdasher had a nice, rather casual combo, with a darker grey suit with woven stripes, black shirt and a burbery nova-check tie.
Though there was so much "darkness" in it it didn't look too "mafia-like", but maybe that had to do with the teint, face,hair etc. of the person itself.
I would be afraid that the shirt washes out quite quickly!

An accountant I know wears charcoal shirts because they are "in style" in his company...black would be not convervative enough...there are some things I don't understand.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cravate_Noire
a darker grey suit with woven stripes, black shirt and a burbery nova-check tie.

31.gif

I should have known better than to open this thread right after dinner

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads