• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black shirt: trying too hard?

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
I have a black half-button pull-over shirt with french cuffs I loved so much that I had it cloned in HK because the original designer didn't make them anymore. Of course, it's different from a plain old black express-type shirt.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have some but don't wear them often.

What I would like most is a black slim fitting OCBD. The black would play off against the informality of the style.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Ocbd?

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you evil? Do you cheat at cards? Do you beat your wife? Do you lounge in a Dinner Jacket? Are you Asian? Do you have a habit of wearing silver ties? If you've answered yes to two or more of thee questions then you are a candidate.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
wranglercottondrillshirry1.jpg

Just picked this up and it's already one of my favorites. I also have a black linen shirt I wear a lot for warmer nights.

migo

Reaction score
according to The Suit (the Nicholas Antongiavanni book), black shirts and suits are apparently reserved for gangsters.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have one black cotton shirt - from Versace - thin, weightless fabric (but not transparent), soft cuffs and collar with perfect points, cut slim (21" from underarm to underarm - ideal for me - fitted sleeves, too), looks good tucked or untucked.

I don't like black shirts that are intended to be worn with a tie.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Yeah, that's me. I've got no beef with J's shirt above.

same here. Casual black shirts are fine with me

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another thing I don't like about black dress shirts is they look really ****** after a few washes and ironings. I hand wash mine with just a bit of some real gentle detergent, and hang dry, usually without ironing, to prevent fading. Ironing inside out helps out too. If the shirt is more casual - like J's, the fading is more acceptable.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black just doesn't look good on somebody with my complexion - pale skin, medium brown hair.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own a black linen shirt and a black sports shirt/casual/whatever and I love them...for clubbing. Can't say it's likely I would ever wear one during the day though.

prozach1576

Reaction score
Black shirts are fine to wear with jeans, but I'd never, ever wear one with a tie or suit. I'm a college student and every single person I've ever seen wearing a black shirt with a tie and/or a suit has been a meathead who has no idea how to dress himself and pairs a rumpled black shirt with a shiny solid, frequently black tie (as DocHoliday suggested earlier) and black chinos.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads