1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Black shirt: trying too hard?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Kent Wang, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

The black button-up shirt conjures up images of science-fiction villains wearing it with a garish all-black outfit, but can it be worn more respectably, say with a medium grey suit? What ties would you wear with it? The black shirt seems much more casual and clubby than any other color, even lavender or pastel green, so perhaps it should not be worn with a tie at all.

2. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

The black shirt has really fallen out of favour for me ever since I started to know better. Yes, I still wear it casually, but never dressy.

3. medtech_expat

medtech_expat Senior member

The black shirt - while arguably inappropriate with a suit - is perfect clubbing gear when paired with jeans and chelseas.

4. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

That sounded like a page out of GQ. [​IMG]

5. stach

stach Senior member

Black shirt with a tie is pushing it imo. Black shirt with a charcol or black suit (no tie) is fine for clubs etc.

6. royal618

royal618 Senior member

I've got to say I rarely wear dark coloured shirts with suits anymore. Perhaps I would for night time events without a tie. That said, you can still do it with style if you don't go for a cheesy look. I'd go for a black shirt and a black tie with texture, perhaps a paisley or flower/plant type.. otherwise, silvers will work with mid greys, and you can work a color in with the silver perhaps.

The darkest shirt I'll wear to work these days is propabably a charcoal that has a light blue woven into the herringbone. Whilst I have a senior role as a marketer day by day, it wouldn't be worn into the board room, and perhaps only on a Friday when a more casual suit can be worn.

7. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

I have a semi-sheer, self-fabric-striped, cocktail cuff, high collar, smoked MOP, slim Jil Sander black shirt. It has been my go-to clubbing shirt for a while. Useless in any other situation.

8. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

Black shirt with a tie is pushing it imo. Black shirt with a charcol or black suit (no tie) is fine for clubs etc.

How about a black shirt with one of those western string ties. Kind of like Johnny Cash?

9. luk-cha

luk-cha Senior member Dubiously Honored

i like wearing black shirts more with jeans and a suit jkt for sort of semi formal out of office look!

10. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

I used to own/wear about 10 black shirts in 1994. In 2006 I don't own a single black shirt (other than polos) and cringe at the thought of having once owned them.

11. Morris

Morris Senior member

Black shirts = Limelight and Studio 54 in Manhattan. Please pass.

12. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

when I was much younger, I would wear dark silk suits with black cotton tee shirts.

13. tiger02

tiger02 Senior member

Black shirts = Limelight and Studio 54 in Manhattan. Please pass.
    Sounds like a good argument not to pass, actually.

14. stach

stach Senior member

How about a black shirt with one of those western string ties. Kind of like Johnny Cash?

Only if your date is wearing a velvet scrunchie and an off the shoulder top. [​IMG]

15. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

I have a semi-sheer, self-fabric-striped, cocktail cuff, high collar, smoked MOP, slim Jil Sander black shirt. It has been my go-to clubbing shirt for a while. Useless in any other situation.
    I agree - good for clubbing, otherwise useless. I have one, in a single-cuff, straight collar configuration. I've worn it far less than I anticipated when I bought it.

16. GreyFlannelMan

GreyFlannelMan Senior member

You should go with a black tie with the black shirt, for that Regis Philbin, Who Wants to be a Millionaire look.

17. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I was just thinking just yesterday that the trouble with black is that it's so obvious. Guys who don't feel comfortable dressing nicely seem to automatically reach for it. It's the Kenneth Cole shoes of the colorwheel.

I've got no trouble with black at a club. But when I see it in the daytime, I nearly always think that the guy looks like he's trying too hard. Or has no idea how else to dress. Can't clash with black, after all.

Personally, I avoid both black suits and black shirts. I'd avoid black shirts if for no other reason than they show wear so quickly. I made the mistake of buying a black polo on sale last summer and wore it once. Loved the cut but a single wash turned the edges dingy gray.

18. luk-cha

luk-cha Senior member Dubiously Honored

agree with doc it is definatly a club - going out shirt and definatly without a tie but i would mix it up with maybe white jeans and a grey suit jkt and then have fun with your pocket square maybe a red or pink!

19. Zubberah

Zubberah Senior member

You guys are so boring. I have many black shirts (mostly casual) including a Sea Island french cuff business shirt from Charles tyrrwhitt that I wear with light coloured suits (gray, olive, tan, etc) with a tie no less. And I am in the conservative field of banking. And have had nothing but compliments. I often wonder about some of you ...[​IMG]

20. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

Most pointless necropost ever?