• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Suit Makers/Designers for Muscular Build

Geruvah

Reaction score

Your hips are smaller then your waist?

Whoops. Hit a 3 instead of a 4 on the hips. 3AM and all. Was trying to say how my thighs were compared to the waist. Real hourglass here. Screw it, I'll just delete that part.

Last edited:

connor09

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
It would be best to go for mtm especially if you are muscular. You cannot run the risk of having an ill-fitting suit with your body type it has to be mtm.

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not a bodybuilder but definitely athletic. In between 38S and 40S with a 32.5" waist. Tom Ford was the best I've ever had. I much prefer it over my internet MTM suits (even after tailor alterations).

Lol are you really comparing a top end RTW maker (Zegna Couture) with online MTM?

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It would be best to go for mtm especially if you are muscular. You cannot run the risk of having an ill-fitting suit with your body type it has to be mtm.

Just because its MTM does not automatically mean it cannot be ill fitting.

Geruvah

Reaction score

Lol are you really comparing a top end RTW maker (Zegna Couture) with online MTM?

I'm comparing fit to a guy who may be considering online MTM over an OTR piece that, in my opinion, is built for guys with our particular shape, yes. He asked for designers who catered to that, not tiers. So I'm ignoring that.

It's just like how, despite being fashion brands, Dior and Burberry are better construction-wise than Indochino, I'd say. But their design is just unflattering and underwhelming to a guy with a muscular build.

Mind you, I never even tried on a Kiton or others at that price range.

Last edited:

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm comparing fit to a guy who may be considering online MTM over an OTR piece that, in my opinion, is built for guys with our particular shape, yes. He asked for designers who catered to that, not tiers. So I'm ignoring that.

It's just like how, despite being fashion brands, Dior and Burberry are better construction-wise than Indochino, I'd say. But their design is just unflattering and underwhelming to a guy with a muscular build.

Mind you, I never even tried on a Kiton or others at that price range.

Kiton with a little tailoring works surprisingly well for guys with our build (I'm going by your previous comment where you said 42in chest and 32in waist). Attolini as well, Some Brioni works but others give off the football shoulder pad look.

Geruvah

Reaction score
Brioni I totally see that. Kiton was just always and probably forever will be out of my price range. But at least now I know that if I win the lottery, I can buy a couple with no problem.

victoremque

Reaction score
I'm sort-of in the same boat (42in chest, 28in waist) and honestly, at this point I've just about given up on any OTR jackets fitting from the get go. Just find something that fits well through the chest and shoulders and deal with the waist later. Either that or look into MTM.

Last edited:

formz

Reaction score
Heh..... bumping this thread because I'm searching as well. But I'm a 48" chest and a 32" waist. NOW WHAT?

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Heh..... bumping this thread because I'm searching as well. But I'm a 48" chest and a 32" waist. NOW WHAT?

Bespoke. No ready-made suit can be tailored to fit that well without high risk. Just the suit jacket itself could go disastrously.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads