• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best shoe trees for travel?

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't understand why taking one pair of shoe trees is an inconvenience. Maybe I'm missing the point. If you're taking multiple pairs of shoes, then just put the fxcking trees into the shoes when you pack. They won't take up extra space. What's the problem?

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't understand why taking one pair of shoe trees is an inconvenience. Maybe I'm missing the point. If you're taking multiple pairs of shoes, then just put the fxcking trees into the shoes when you pack. They won't take up extra space. What's the problem?

weight. also taking up space of socks

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1

I pack my shoes with socks, and then stuff them with the morning paper at the hotel after wearing. It gets absurd to travel with wooden trees, and I think those plastic ones do more harm than good, although I think Shoesnob is supposed to have some good ones now.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I swear that I remember seeing some lightweight wooden shoe trees on sale a few years ago.

They were made from some sort of exotic lightweight wood that was similar in weight to plastic, but with the benefits of wood.

(Balsa? Lemonwood? can't remember.)

Myself, I just use my normal shoe trees for travel.

Last edited:

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
weight. also taking up space of socks
...silly response. Unless you've packed enough shoe trees to do 3 sets of 10 with, the weight increase will be neglible, and a few pairs of socks can easily be relocated to someplace else. It's fine if you like to put your socks into your shoes, but let's not be asinine enough to make it seem like THAT is what stops someone from packing shoe trees.

Last edited:

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

...silly response. Unless you've packed enough shoe trees to do 3 sets of 10 with, the weight increase will be neglible, and a few pairs of socks can easily be relocated to someplace else. It's fine if you like to put your socks into your shoes, but let's not be asinine enough to make it seem like THAT is what stops someone from packing shoe trees.

You must have no clue what it's like to travel light. Weight "negligible," are you serious? Ditto on space.

I've done 10 days in Italy, in style, in summer, with only a small roll-aboard that could fit beneath my seat on the plane, no other bags.

If you're a good planner and smart about assessing what you're likely to wear and versatile combinations, it is doable. And it makes travelling much much more bearable.

As for the question at hand, a few days/wearings without shoe trees is not the end of the world for any shoe. The primary purpose it to control toe-curling, and that issue is solved the next time you use the shoe tree. As for moisture, unless a shoe is SOPPING wet, it will dry fastest with nothing in it, not even newspaper (unless the air has extremely high humidity).

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You must have no clue what it's like to travel light. Weight "negligible," are you serious? Ditto on space.

I've done 10 days in Italy, in style, in summer, with only a small roll-aboard that could fit beneath my seat on the plane, no other bags.

If you're a good planner and smart about assessing what you're likely to wear and versatile combinations, it is doable. And it makes travelling much much more bearable.

As for the question at hand, a few days/wearings without shoe trees is not the end of the world for any shoe. The primary purpose it to control toe-curling, and that issue is solved the next time you use the shoe tree. As for moisture, unless a shoe is SOPPING wet, it will dry fastest with nothing in it, not even newspaper (unless the air has extremely high humidity).
Truth! :teach:

When traveling light, the weight and size of all items matter. I have one to two-week stints elsewhere often and everything is packed in my carry-on, even for travel overseas.

PapaRubbery

Reaction score
Truth!
teacha.gif

When traveling light, the weight and size of all items matter. I have one to two-week stints elsewhere often and everything is packed in my carry-on, even for travel overseas.

All of this ^^

I can cram 15kg into a carry on, but there are weight requirements (not that I've ever had my carry on weighed). Try travelling on a subload. Living out of your carry on is essential. Shoe trees are the first things that go when I'm travelling with just carry on.

Checked in luggage is a completely different story. But carry on is an exercise in the bare minimum,

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads